Football: A League United

polishgenius

From his comments, it's clear that Rashford isn't among those United players who were reportedly irritated by his behaviour.

Yes, he's a great player. But he was a total liability on Sunday. And anyone who thinks he sets the right example to United's younger players wants their head examining. 

Anyway, from an Arsenal perspective, anything that sows dissent in the United dressing room, such as endorsing that bellend's behaviour, is to be welcomed. Because, Sunday aside, they are very, very good these days. And nobody needs that. 

Absolutely fantastic that EtH is not dumb enough to make a knee-jerk decision based off one game. Bruno has been excellent since he joined, is a leader in the dressing room and is one of the few players at United whose commitment cannot be brought into question. Besides that, Bruno was never club captain (that's still Maguire); he's the vice captain and will remain so. There is no (and never has been) any dissent sown by Bruno in the dressing room - he's been United's most reliable player ever since he joined.

4 hours ago, Consigliere said:

There is no (and never has been) any dissent sown by Bruno in the dressing room - he's been United's most reliable player ever since he joined.

Yeah. They shout at each other and I've no doubt that there were some players irritated by Bruno on Sunday, but there's no evidence whatsoever that he's a bad or disruptive influence in the squad. He gives a lot out, even at his team-mates, but he takes it back without a problem so far as we've ever seen - which we saw after the final. 

Like I say, I think his performance on Sunday was indefensible, and it wouldn't have shocked me if ETH had reacted, but it's not weird that he didn't. Despite what most opposition and some of our more irritating fans say, we've seen way more positive from Bruno than negative. Way more. 

4 hours ago, Consigliere said:

Absolutely fantastic that EtH is not dumb enough to make a knee-jerk decision based off one game. Bruno has been excellent since he joined, is a leader in the dressing room and is one of the few players at United whose commitment cannot be brought into question. Besides that, Bruno was never club captain (that's still Maguire); he's the vice captain and will remain so. There is no (and never has been) any dissent sown by Bruno in the dressing room - he's been United's most reliable player ever since he joined.

that he is a leader and has been 100% committed since he joined, doesn't mean he can't be dropped sometimes :dunno:

Re: UCL. Fantastic record for Bayern: 8/8 wins, 2 goals conceded. Naggelsman might be the real deal in the end. It does help that he has one of the best squad in Europe depth-wise, though. Look at their bench tonight.

OTOH, there is a massive failure in PSG's strategy. Tonight the only threat they had from the bench were mainly youngsters and out of form players.

10 minutes ago, Daemon the Leaner said:

that he is a leader and has been 100% committed since he joined, doesn't mean he can't be dropped sometimes :dunno:

He deserves to be rested more. The fact that EtH, Rangnick before that and Solskjaer before that never rotated him shows 1) just how important he is to the team and 2) there's nobody in the squad who has shown that they can play that position anywhere near as well as him. He's our chief creator and has created the most chances from open play in the Premier league this season. Maybe if Sancho and Antony weren't so poor, they could have taken some of the creative burden off of him.

On 3/6/2023 at 4:31 PM, Iskaral Pust said:

Talking to my brother in Ireland, Americans have a really good deal on PL access: Peacock gives us all PL matches, and available to watch on replay, for just $5 a month.  And the commentary is usually quite good, e.g. Peter Drury plus Graeme LeSaux.  The post-match analysis is unwatchable, and Peacock does not have any of the CL (Paramount+), FA Cup (ESPN) or WC (Fox, I think, unless you watch the Spanish broadcast on Peacock).

But that all sounds a lot better than the expensive Sky package my brother has, with ever fewer games included.  I don’t think I would pay for the package he gets.

Sounds pretty much identical to Australia, except to get that price you have to have a contract with Optus (phone and/or internet provider). 

9 hours ago, Consigliere said:

He deserves to be rested more. The fact that EtH, Rangnick before that and Solskjaer before that never rotated him shows 1) just how important he is to the team and 2) there's nobody in the squad who has shown that they can play that position anywhere near as well as him. He's our chief creator and has created the most chances from open play in the Premier league this season. Maybe if Sancho and Antony weren't so poor, they could have taken some of the creative burden off of him.

It's notable that ETH plays him in every game despite him, on the surface, not really being a player who embodies ETH's ideal style of play. Always a pace-pusher and not a tempo-controller, shall we say.

That is also in part because although Bruno himself is a risky passer at almost all times, he's so good at being available as the out-pass for whoever has the ball that we're more secure in possession when he plays anyway. Add to that that when he does get the ball there's no-one in the world quicker at switching a defensive moment into attack, which means teams can't press us as freely as they otherwise would. People overlook that when they start talking about him giving the ball away too much and such. 

16 hours ago, Consigliere said:

Good to see that EtH isn't being swayed by a bunch of assclowns on twitter and so-called 'pundits' who failed as managers.

To be honest, while I did like the banter after Sunday's match I found most of the "experts" opinions rubbish. I mean, United is still the same team they were before the match at Anfield. They have had a pretty good run of results, but are still a team in rebuilding and, considering where they were last summer, Ten Hag has done an extremely good job.

9 hours ago, Consigliere said:

One of the "experts" said that United have been rotating players very little recently. I guess Ten Hag is doing the best he can with what he's got, but if that's really the case, it would be reasonable to expect United's form to drop off as the season goes on due to fatigue.

1 hour ago, baxus said:

To be honest, while I did like the banter after Sunday's match I found most of the "experts" opinions rubbish. I mean, United is still the same team they were before the match at Anfield. They have had a pretty good run of results, but are still a team in rebuilding and, considering where they were last summer, Ten Hag has done an extremely good job.

One of the "experts" said that United have been rotating players very little recently. I guess Ten Hag is doing the best he can with what he's got, but if that's really the case, it would be reasonable to expect United's form to drop off as the season goes on due to fatigue.

Yeah, our depth isn't great. We've got the numbers but not the quality. Outside of our best XI, there aren't many players who are good enough or fit the way Ten Hag wants to play especially in midfield and our CF position is basically a black hole.

That lack of quality depth combined with a congested fixture list is why I never thought United could seriously challenge for the title. Top 4 is the best we can hope for and we might need a bit of a cushion there too because I still think this squad is going to run out of steam and end up crawling over the line. Playing a match on average every 3 days since mid December while lacking quality in depth is eventually going to take its toll.

12 hours ago, The Sunland Lord said:

Conte and Europe, nothing new here. 

Just saw a pretty damning stat. Apparently Conte hasn't won a knockout game in the CL in 10 years. Last win in the knockouts was against Celtic in March 2013. He's managed Juventus, Chelsea, Inter and Spurs during this decade.

13 hours ago, Daemon the Leaner said:

Re: UCL. Fantastic record for Bayern: 8/8 wins, 2 goals conceded. Naggelsman might be the real deal in the end. It does help that he has one of the best squad in Europe depth-wise, though. Look at their bench tonight.

Well, kinda amusing that their first choice strike is Choupo-Moting. I recall people were laughing at Tuchel, when he signed him at PSG as back-up/rotation option from Stoke.  My view back then was experienced player, who is a good enough player as a rotation option (fill in when needed) and who won't throw a tantrum, when he is watching most games from the bench. The no-drama bit is an important quality.

I didn't expect him to end up as first choice striker at Bayern either, tbh.

Archived