Football: A League United

polishgenius

I don't quite understand that VAR-review of the handball incident.

There's no way you can tell from the angles that it hits, what you need to see if it changes direction. But you can't do that by freezing the frame. You actually need to watch the ball's movement.

If they conclude on the frame-by-frame, they've screwed up. There's no conclusive evidence from those pictures. But then again, this is VAR, where people with no skill for their job do it because the management feels the need to justify their complete and utter bungling buying and implementing the shitshow.

30 minutes ago, Rorschach - 2 said:

I don't quite understand that VAR-review of the handball incident.

There's no way you can tell from the angles that it hits, what you need to see if it changes direction. But you can't do that by freezing the frame. You actually need to watch the ball's movement.

If they conclude on the frame-by-frame, they've screwed up. There's no conclusive evidence from those pictures. But then again, this is VAR, where people with no skill for their job do it because the management feels the need to justify their complete and utter bungling buying and implementing the shitshow.

Yeah, there's no way it was clear and obvious. It might well have hit his arm, but by their own rules once the ref ruled it good they shouldn't have changed it.

The VARs in England don't care about 'clear and obvious'. Instead, they are looking for any excuse to rule out a goal. I suspect they are doing this on purpose to piss off the fans. Anecdotally, I'm seeing more and more people on various social media platforms expressing the sentiment that VAR should be done away with and we should go back to the way things were done before which is exactly what the dinosaurs want.

Anyway, we were struggling the entire second half, but we still managed to hold on. So even though VAR proved useless once again (I sorta thought it was introduced to reduce mistakes, not make entirely stupid new ones), we got the three points. 

Thank goodness.

11 minutes ago, Rorschach - 2 said:

So you're saying keep VAR, since those using it are destroying it on purpose?

Yes.

You've got professional referees with years and years of experience looking at replays from multiple angles and yet the inexplicable decisions continue to pile up at an alarming rate. I'm finding it increasingly difficult to believe that these are just honest mistakes or mere incompetence.

The Premier League is the worst of the top leagues too. VAR ain't perfect in the other top leagues but works a whole lot better than it does in the PL. The use of VAR in the World Cup and Champion's League is magnitudes better than the PL as well.

Liverpool's season looking a lot like ours. Beat a great team then immediately lose the next game to a shit team.

Not that Bournemouth are shit, just a team you'd expect Liverpool to beat.

12 minutes ago, Consigliere said:

Yes.

You've got professional referees with years and years of experience looking at replays from multiple angles and yet the inexplicable decisions continue to pile up at an alarming rate. I'm finding it increasingly difficult to believe that these are just honest mistakes or mere incompetence.

The Premier League is the worst of the top leagues too. VAR ain't perfect in the other top leagues but works a whole lot better than it does in the PL. The use of VAR in the World Cup and Champion's League is magnitudes better than the PL as well.

Could of course be true. Could be corruption. But given their nature, it's hard to accept a narrative of "honest mistakes" now, I agree.

On brighter VAR news, those calls can be game changers. And not by giving away silly handball penalties left and right.

Tales from today's game.

We conceded early (our defending has been suspect, but we somehow got away with it, well, playing out of the back and giving away the ball in the process creates defensive problems). By minute ten we were down 0-2 and I was thinking, I was in for a long afternoon. Instead VAR said it was offside (must have been very narrow, as I didn't suspect an offside call at all and neither did the on-field referees), so game continued at 0-1. And that was real boost for morale. 3 minutes later it was 1-1. Shortly before half-time the visitors got a clear red card, visiting players went on a crying tantrum spree, red cards get automatically checked by VAR, so that was kinda pointless. I am still not sure, what they were whining about there in the first place. Anyway, VAR confirmed the red card. Second half we were gifted the GWG, and that's that.

Ah VAR, my favorite topic... it's shit, the people watching it are shit and they should just use it for offsides and move on. Everything else is way too subjective and inconsistent from game to game. If that's the case, just let the ref on the field be the only subjective judge.

2 hours ago, Mexal said:

Ah VAR, my favorite topic... it's shit, the people watching it are shit and they should just use it for offsides and move on. Everything else is way too subjective and inconsistent from game to game. If that's the case, just let the ref on the field be the only subjective judge.

The on field referee is already making an initial decision on whether a goal stands or whether or not a penalty is awarded etc. What they need to do is stop nitpicking and actually adhere to 'clear and obvious'. There's no need to be taking several minutes to review an incident.

they should just use it for offsides and move on.

Semi-automated offside technology is vastly more accurate and only takes a few seconds to get a decision. That should be used from next season.

Archived