Football: A League United

polishgenius

From the bits I've seen, I think Bajcetic has enough about him that if the rest of the midfield had the physical intensity to back him up with his lack of physicality, he'd be fine. I don't really understand why a 6 foot+ kid who also plays at CB is so physically pushable and reluctant to engage, but hey. He looks calm and skilled on the ball, he might grow into a game-controlling player. He's being thrown in too early, though.

Elliott I don't really see it. I mean, I know he's young too but I don't see that future for him, which I guess I'm not alone in. He's excused for being pushable because he actually is small, but he doesn't have the on-the-ball ability to make up for it. He just kind of mooches about. 

But yeah, your midfield would quite literally be greatly improved by at least one player from every single team in the relegation battle, and by multiple from most of them. Like just transplanting Rice, Soucek and Paqueta from West Ham's midfield into yours probably puts you at least in line with us. 

It’s not just the MF kids though.  Even when Henderson had a better game against United he still hoofed several aimless high balls.  His anticipation to intercept passes was good but his composure and skill on the ball are quite poor.  And Fabinho was also better against United by being more front-footed in his pressing before the opposing player could turn on the ball, but he was easily bypassed whenever the opponent had the ball facing forward with time to play; then his recovery pace is just missing.

Similarly TAA had a better game against a United but still got caught asleep at the back post a few times.  He just has so little awareness of what’s happening behind him, and seems to have no idea how to position himself or cover the angle even when he does know someone is behind him.

There are too many players showing big fundamental shortcomings across many games.  The balance of the team used to cover for these but they’re getting exposed more now.

I intend to follow MLS more closely this season as St. Louis has finally been awarded an expansion team.  They had been trying to get one for about 15 years.  Currently, St Louis City SC are the only team that has played 3 matches and won all 3 of them.

He's got one foot off the ground, and the other only comes over the top because they hit the ball simultaneously and he bounces. That just happens sometimes when you slide-tackle. It's definitely a foul and a yellow, but it'd be a harsh red in normal circumstances, and it's laughable if we're meant to expect consistency with some of fouls that have been let go on VAR review in recent matches. 

I wouldn't be that annoyed about it if the ref had just sent him off immediately and VAR had said it's not an obvious enough call to rescind it. But since he didn't, I am. 

Like come on how in the blue blazes is Casemiro getting sent off for that, but this yesterday wasn't one.

Just now, Spockydog said:

Consider yourself lucky your team hasn't been refereed as badly as Arsenal this season. 

The best attackers always get the worst reffing. It's infuriating. 

Having seen it on the tweet above, I'd say it's a stupid way for Casemiro to go into the tackle. Don't go studs first, it doesn't give an advantage, but it leaves you open to cards against. 

Had it been Everton, I'd argue for a yellow, had it been against us I'd argue for a red, but he has time there. He doesn't need to give the ref the option.

ETA: having seen the Leicester challenge above, I'm appalled that VAR hasn't done anything there. That's a sending off 12 times out of 5. Did I mention I hate the implementation of VAR?

Seemed harsh. Would have hated it if it was Xhaka but wouldn’t have been surprised if it was given.

On other side, Trossard is signing of January. He’s been so good. And to think we almost ended up with Murdryk.

6 minutes ago, polishgenius said:

Like come on how in the blue blazes is Casemiro getting sent off for that, but this yesterday wasn't one.

Dude, you're preaching to the choir. I can't for the life of me fathom why the so-called Best League In The World puts up with such incompetent officiating. 

15 minutes ago, polishgenius said:

He's got one foot off the ground, and the other only comes over the top because they hit the ball simultaneously and he bounces. That just happens sometimes when you slide-tackle. It's definitely a foul and a yellow, but it'd be a harsh red in normal circumstances, and it's laughable if we're meant to expect consistency with some of fouls that have been let go on VAR review in recent matches. 

I wouldn't be that annoyed about it if the ref had just sent him off immediately and VAR had said it's not an obvious enough call to rescind it. But since he didn't, I am. 

C'mon now, he flies studs first in there. That's reckless and a red.

7 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

I don't know if it's a definite red. But I don't think you can complain about it if he walks for that. 

Agreed.

What hurts him there is that his foot goes horizontal, so studs make contact first as opposed to if his foot was turned inward a little bit.

I agree that general standard of refs has not been great, but you can't really make tackles like that.

Yeah, it's one of those where one might feel a little aggrieved given the numerous reckless challenges referees have let pass this season but one cannot also complain too much about a red being given. This is just how Casemiro plays and he will have to adjust his game. In Spain, Real Madrid are protected by the referees so he never got a straight red card for this type of challenge which he made many times. He's probably cost us the game.

I've felt all season that City would eventually overhaul Arsenal, as it gets closer to the end of the season i'm starting to get more positive vibes.

They had their wobble and seem back to form. 

We need to get over our wobble, more attacking line up today, and Wolves are no great shakes. 

Archived