The Most Laughable and Worst ASOIAF Theories and Takes

Maegor_the_Cool

As the title suggests, what are some of the worst theories and takes you’ve ever heard for ASOIAF.

Anytime I see someone say “The Starks are an evil family” and families like the Boltons and Freys are heroes or victims of them, just makes me roll my eyes and laugh. Anyone of that opinion doesn’t deserve to have one on the entire series.

There’s not a family that are all _____. Not one, not even the Freys. 

But a lot of what looks ridiculous is a matter of sympathy; find out who a reader likes or dislikes and you’re most of the way to knowing who they think is in the right or wrong in a given situation. 

I've certainly come across plenty of theories that I think of as ridiculous, but you know, it might be that they're seeing something you're not.

When I first joined the forum there was a commenter who was pushing some heavy "ASOIAF is Sci Fi" stuff, and while I still disagree overall, thinking about the points they made helped me focus on some aspects of the story that I wasn't giving enough attention to. So, while I still think they're technically wrong, I'm glad that I engaged with their ideas, and I'm grateful for their input.

I'm not saying that all such encounters will be fruitful, but an open mind is almost always good to have. Either to shake up our own thinking, or to get on friendlier terms with someone with whom you disagree.

In no particular order:

• Bowen the Martyr
  • Jon betrayed Westeros for Arya
  • Jon murdered Janos Slynt
  • Ramsay should get to marry the real Arya (:ack: I can't believe someone actually posted this)
  • Daenerys is a paedophile
  • Aerys 'wasn't that bad'
  • Cersei was forced to kill all those innocent babies
  • Everything is Renly's fault
  • Everything is any one person's fault
  • People actually trying to justify the 'Valyrian Master Race' idea

I expect some theories I support to eventually be mentioned here. 

As for other people's theories, I generally have little desire to mock them.  If someone thinks that Mance is Rhaegar, my guess would be that he is wrong, and that if the books are ever finished, we will eventually find out that it is wrong.  But if it turns out to be right, congratulations, because I never would have guessed.

There is a particular kind of theory that I do dislike, and these are the so-called "Grand" theories.  These tend to be so nebulous that they will never be proven right or wrong.  But I tend to stay out of such discussions, so they don't really do me any harm either.

We have been at this so lousy long I'm not even sure what is real opinion and simple shit disturbing much less real theory crafting.  Laughable?  The one that really made me laugh was Jojen paste.  If you ever get a chance to go back and read it, it's brilliant.  Very dry and witty and dead pan.  

12 minutes ago, Craving Peaches said:

In no particular order:

• Bowen the Martyr
  • Jon betrayed Westeros for Arya
  • Jon murdered Janos Slynt
  • Ramsay should get to marry the real Arya (:ack: I can't believe someone actually posted this)
  • Daenerys is a paedophile
  • Aerys 'wasn't that bad'
  • Cersei was forced to kill all those innocent babies
  • Everything is Renly's fault
  • Everything is any one person's fault
  • People actually trying to justify the 'Valyrian Master Race' idea

I tend to agree with you in opposing these ideas (except of course #8 which I support 100%).  But I would not tend to call most of them theories.  I would tend to call them something else, like maybe value judgments.  Which will never be proven right or wrong, even if GRRM does somehow manage to finish the series.

2 minutes ago, Gilbert Green said:

I would tend to call them something else, like maybe value judgments.

You are right that they are not theories. They are just statements I have seen people make. Theories, if they want to be taken seriously, tend to be backed up with evidence. But the OP calls for any 'takes' so I presumed these were valid takes to report.

2 minutes ago, Gilbert Green said:

except of course #8 which I support 100%

You break my heart, Gilbert...

And this leads to a paradox. You support my opposition to the idea that any one person is responsible for everything. But you don't support opposition to the idea that Renly was responsible for everything. Which means you support the idea that Renly is responsible for everything. But you oppose the idea that any one person is responsible for everything.

Edited by Craving Peaches

16 minutes ago, Curled Finger said:

We have been at this so lousy long I'm not even sure what is real opinion and simple shit disturbing much less real theory crafting.  Laughable?  The one that really made me laugh was Jojen paste.  If you ever get a chance to go back and read it, it's brilliant.  Very dry and witty and dead pan.  

I don't know if I like Jojen paste because I believe it or because of the reaction it gets. I can admit that.

1 minute ago, Aejohn the Conqueroo said:

I don't know if I like Jojen paste because I believe it or because of the reaction it gets. I can admit that.

I think many people know the idea but haven't read the theory.  If I'm not mistaken @Lost Melnibonean crafted this wicked bit of theory some years back.  The ideas is of course, dreadful, but the theory is...well you would just have to read it to really appreciate what it is.  Had the pleasure to post with him a few times in the past.  Clever dude and well worth reading.  

well, to this day, the most disgusting, disturbing, wired, laughable, and fucked up theory I've seen is Sarella=Shae theory; which does not end there! this theory claims that the Red Viper has raped and groomed his own daughter to be a whore to eventually send her to Tywin Lannister when some war someday happens so she can poison Tywin at the end and avenge his sister who was raped and murdered! I mean, COME ON! 

and a lot of these weird theories are also laughable:

4 minutes ago, Curled Finger said:

I think many people know the idea but haven't read the theory.  If I'm not mistaken @Lost Melnibonean crafted this wicked bit of theory some years back.  The ideas is of course, dreadful, but the theory is...well you would just have to read it to really appreciate what it is.  Had the pleasure to post with him a few times in the past.  Clever dude and well worth reading.  

OK I just read that. Was familiar with theory before and may have read that thread before - I buy it. Jojen is a weirwood seed. Anyway right or wrong, to me it's just too juicy to abandon until it's disproven on the page.

2 hours ago, Phylum of Alexandria said:

When I first joined the forum there was a commenter who was pushing some heavy "ASOIAF is Sci Fi" stuff, and while I still disagree overall, thinking about the points they made helped me focus on some aspects of the story that I wasn't giving enough attention to. So, while I still think they're technically wrong, I'm glad that I engaged with their ideas, and I'm grateful for their input.

Screw the SCI FI bastards.  They are the ones who would have no Battle for Dawn.  "That's not where ASOIAF is going.  GRRM is a pacifist.  He hates war and it would counterintuitive for him to glorify the killing of an entire species in a battle such as you describe..."  Oh go read an epic Asminov then.  

4 minutes ago, EggBlue said:

well, to this day, the most disgusting, disturbing, wired, laughable, and fucked up theory I've seen is Sarella=Shae theory; which does not end there! this theory claims that the Red Viper has raped and groomed his own daughter to be a whore to eventually send her to Tywin Lannister when some war someday happens so she can poison Tywin at the end and avenge his sister who was raped and murdered! I mean, COME ON! 

and a lot of these weird theories are also laughable:

You find the good ones, EggBlue. It's funny how many theories seem to come from an honest attempt at character assassination. People like the Red Viper, except the people that don't. They hate the Red Viper and need to let everyone know how evil he is, even if they have to cook the record a bit. They don't hurt little girls in Dorne (or did he only say that on tv?)

8 minutes ago, EggBlue said:

Sarella=Shae theory; which does not end there! this theory claims that the Red Viper has raped and groomed his own daughter to be a whore to eventually send her to Tywin Lannister when some war someday happens so she can poison Tywin at the end and avenge his sister who was raped and murdered! I mean, COME ON! 

I wish there was a disgusted reaction...