Acrophobia 44 - Round 7 (LAST ONE!!!)

Jez Bell

Apologies, I've submitted my entry.

I herniated a handful of discs in my back about 17-18 years ago. Once or twice a year, I do something stupid and reinjure it and am largely useless for a week or so ... walking slow and in pain and often stuck to one side. This time, I did nothing stupid and it flared up but didn't go away and only got worse with time and medication. I ended up having back surgery on Friday.

Sounds severe (and I suppose that it was) but the reality is that I went from being curled up in the fetal position, unable to even straighten my legs and in significant pain despite having the best drugs the hospital could offer ... to waking up completely pain free and just a bit stiff and sore. I have to recover from surgery and have a 1.5 inch scar healing in my back ... which is no small recovery, really ... but I'm basically pain free and was walking the same day as surgery. I can't bend or twist or carry things for a few weeks but I mostly just kinda feel like I had a strong workout. I'm not even taking ibuprofen or Tylenol or anything.

It's hard to reconcile the severity of back surgery with the relative ease of recovery so far. The surgery turned off the pain like a light switch. It was scary to opt for back surgery, though I didn't see a feasible alternative, but it was a great decision and I now feel I should have considered it years ago.

Edited by Ser Not Appearing

11 minutes ago, Ser Not Appearing said:

I herniated a handful of discs in my back about 17-18 years ago. Once or twice a year, I do something stupid and reinjure it and am largely useless for a week or so ... walking slow and in pain and often stuck to one side. This time, I did nothing stupid and it flared up but didn't go away and only got worse with time and medication. I ended up having back surgery on Friday.

Sounds severe (and I suppose that it was) but the reality is that I went from being curled up in the fetal position, unable to even straighten my legs and in significant pain despite having the best drugs the hospital could offer ... to waking up completely pain free and just a bit stiff and sore. I have to recover from surgery and have a 1.5 inch scar healing in my back ... which is no small recovery, really ... but I'm basically pain free and was walking the same day as surgery. I can't bend or twist or carry things for a few weeks but I mostly just kinda feel like I had a strong workout. I'm not even taking ibuprofen or Tylenol or anything.

It's hard to reconcile the severity of back surgery with the relative ease of recovery so far. The surgery turned off the pain like a light switch. It was scary to opt for back surgery, though I didn't see a feasible alternative, but it was a great decision and I now feel I should have considered it years ago.

Fabulous results! Congrats!

My dentist, a tall, rather heavy man, went in to have some wrist surgery a decade ago, asked that it be done under local anesthetic, but his doctor wouldn’t do it and put him under. He woke up with a sore back, and immediately suspected they dropped him when moving him from a stretcher to a bed. I forget if he got that confirmed. Several operations later and quite a few years he’s still in pain, sadly.

32 minutes ago, Ser Not Appearing said:

Great!

I think medicine is getting better, based on my husband's adventures therein. knock wood.

7 hours ago, Ser Not Appearing said:

This is so good, I’m so happy for you! 1.5 inch scar and a couple weeks of taking it easy sound like a more than fair price for getting rid of that pain.  Take good care of yourself post- surgery I’m sure you’ll be good as new in a month or two. Do you also have physiotherapy to strengthen your back or restore movement? Not sure if that’s a thing for every surgery. 

I was also surprised that I didn’t have any pain in the actual scar or surgery area upon waking up. All my discomfort stemmed from the pressure bandage that was squeezing the life out of my chest. To be fair I was completely numb in the area for at least the first week, which may have helped with initial soreness. But! My scar (of a whopping 3.5 inches) has quickly become my favorite body part. She’s beautiful at 16 days old and only getting prettier. Damn, I’m creepy, sorry. :leaving: 

8 hours ago, Ser Not Appearing said:

Wow!  It sounds like you are doing remarkably well given the circumstances.  Glad to hear you're on the mend.  :)   

Round 1 - "Lives of Four Kings"

1)  Details of Valyrian Dudes.

2)  Quite stunning tome.

3)  Additionally packed: Xylophone construction kit.

4)  Highly limited offering! Maester’s extraordinary hagiography!

5)  Honor luminesces over my engraved history

6)  Hark: Limited, original manuscript! Elegant! Handwritten!

7)  Quality stuff. Truthfully.

8)  !!!Authentic!!! (Phonies xeroxed, censored.) Keeper!

Well done to everyone for getting fantastic entries in for this very tough round.  It will not be easy to choose.

Please vote for your top 3 in the thread before the round 2 deadline.

Edited by Jez Bell

Round 2

For sale: "Valyrian Steel Dagger", a vintage find.  This infamous weapon has a rich history.  Known as the "Catspaw Dagger", so named after the attempted assassination of a young Stark child.  Its origins are mysterious and its ownership has been both claimed and blamed.  It is best suited for smaller hands or those with little fingers.

Please use the letters to craft a killer tagline.

Letters

K I T

G O T Y A

T O N G U E 

Deadline: Sunday, March 12

Good luck :)  

Edited by Jez Bell

6 hours ago, RhaenysBee said:

This is so good, I’m so happy for you! 1.5 inch scar and a couple weeks of taking it easy sound like a more than fair price for getting rid of that pain.  Take good care of yourself post- surgery I’m sure you’ll be good as new in a month or two. Do you also have physiotherapy to strengthen your back or restore movement? Not sure if that’s a thing for every surgery. 

I was also surprised that I didn’t have any pain in the actual scar or surgery area upon waking up. All my discomfort stemmed from the pressure bandage that was squeezing the life out of my chest. To be fair I was completely numb in the area for at least the first week, which may have helped with initial soreness. But! My scar (of a whopping 3.5 inches) has quickly become my favorite body part. She’s beautiful at 16 days old and only getting prettier. Damn, I’m creepy, sorry. :leaving: 

Did you have surgery 16 days ago?

7 hours ago, RhaenysBee said:

Wait, what?  You had surgery recently? 

Are you ok?  Is everyone ok?

*burns sage and lavender*

2 hours ago, Ser Not Appearing said:

Did you have surgery 16 days ago?

RB had a lumpectomy under very stressful conditions, she was literally ready to go, on the stretcher, two weeks prior, when the surgeon decided it had to be delayed. I myself had a lumpectomy 23 months ago and if that happened to me I would have been very very upset.

1 minute ago, Fragile Bird said:

RB had a lumpectomy under very stressful conditions, she was literally ready to go, on the stretcher, two weeks prior, when the surgeon decided it had to be delayed. I myself had a lumpectomy 23 months ago and if that happened to me I would have been very very upset.

What is happening?  I'm so glad everyone is ok.

Health and well being first.  That goes for all y'all.