Who do you feel or think is the most underrated or unappreciated character in the series.

Lady Stonehearts Simp

Agree about Edmure. At least he truly cares about the smallfolk and we see it firsthand. He's not preaching something he doesn't do... in fact, we learn this b/c he's already brought people into the castle, and Cat scolds him for it. 

9 hours ago, Prince Rhaegar Targareyen said:

For me, Edmure Tully comes to mind. He isn’t as stupid as some people think, and he honestly seems like a good human being, despite being raised by Hoster.

Underrated and unappreciated. The new Lady Bolton (Fat Walda).  She was sending cleverly written messages to Roose.  The letters were smart enough to avoid suspicion in case the Starks intercepted the bird.  She will give Ramsay a good competition. 

Edited by Kierria

3 minutes ago, Kierria said:

She will give Ramsay a good competition. 

What does this mean?

ETA: You edited your post with deranged anti-Stark content, and my curiosity is now sated.

Edited by Many-Faced Votary

Sansa Stark.  Everybody seems to think she's weak and stupid.  She is neither. 

She has managed to hold it together despite Joffrey's and Cersei's mistreatment of her.  She went to her first meeting with Dontos despite fearing it was a trap, and was willing to tell Margaery about Joffrey.  And she hasn't let the abuse she has received change her innate honor and decency.

She is also quite intelligent, though occasionally prone to bad judgement.  She is very politically astute, observant, a quick learner and good at analysis.  And with the loss of her innocence and naivete, she a lot better at making decisions.

Still, nobody seems to take her seriously.  That will be Littlefinger's downfall.

Edited by Nevets

Thing is, Stannis Baratheon is such a polarizing figure in the fanbase, but I do think that he is a very underrated character. Love him or hate him, you can't deny that he is one of the most well developed characters in the story. People write him off as being a very rigid character, but Stannis does listen to advice. He is dismissed as nothing but a whiner, but his arc leads him to taking his own responsibility seriously. And for all that people in the fandom and within the canon claim that Stannis is a disliked man, I really don't think that's the case. He inspires incredible loyalty from thousands of people. Knights and common soldiers follow him all the way from Dragonstone to Storm's End, to and from the Blackwater, all the way to the Wall and across the North. Even some truly reprehensible people like Clayton Suggs, and people like Justin Massey who would have every reason to desert a losing cause, they're still loyal to Stannis, that loyalty leads a man like Clayton Suggs to show a genuine ounce of courage, willing to give his life to save his fellow men and his king from invading horsemen.  Really, it seems like the people who like Stannis the least are found within the nobility, and that's arguably because Stannis isn't interested in kissing asses or playing courtly games of intrigue. He wants to hold people accountable, regardless of their rank, and that's what makes him so feared, as Varys points out. And even if you disagree with Varys over whether or not Stannis is a truly just man... the fact that we can have such a heated debate about this character? That more than anything shows how well-written he is. Stannis Baratheon is one of my favourite characters in literature, let alone this series. Hate him if you must, but don't call him poorly written.

Edited by James Steller

3 hours ago, James Steller said:

Thing is, Stannis Baratheon is such a polarizing figure in the fanbase, but I do think that he is a very underrated character.

People either love him or hate him (usually), but I wouldn't say he's underrated because the people who don't like him also still think he's well written. I think a character would only be underrated if they were well written but people were apathetic towards them. The fact that so many people have such strong opinions on Stannis shows that they aren't apathetic towards him.

Doran Martell really is subtle. He knows every single friend of Arianne, and he knows his daughter. Knows that if he leaves her locked up in the tower long enough, she will tell him all the sand snakes failed to. He has Arianne give all her friends away, and wins her back to being his loyal daughter.

22 hours ago, Prince Rhaegar Targareyen said:

For me, Edmure Tully comes to mind. He isn’t as stupid as some people think, and he honestly seems like a good human being, despite being raised by Hoster.

Yeah if robb didnt want him to defend his own lands then he should have been specific with orders. His only flaw is the old combat adage of trying to lose no one will get everyone killed.

"Sweetrobin" Arryn is (I guess) the most under-rated of those not already mentioned.  But that depends on future developments.  But it seems to me something is going on with flappy-boy.  And he's not so dumb either, for an 8-year old. 

Ser Bonifer Hasty - An interesting character, once a top tournament knight, with a mysterious past who dates from before the final years of Dunk and Egg.  He gets dismissed for 2 reasons: (1) because Jaime has contempt for him; and (2) his religiosity offends  many for culture-war reasons.  Lancel suffers similarly, but Lancel is not half as cool.

Sansa was mentioned above.  She is underestimated, but overestimated too.  I don't think she will ever be politically astute in the sense of being a cynical "player" of the "game of thrones".  At least, I don't want her ever to become that, and I hope I'm right.  I don't expect her to outscheme Littlefinger, at least not in the normal sense.  For instance, she is currently scheming to surround Sweetrobin with 8 winged knights loyal to Sweetrobin.  LF agreed too readily to this scheme, and no doubt intends to make sure all 8 winners are loyal to LF.  He is two steps ahead of her, as far as scheming goes.  But nonetheless, things will not go entirely his way.

Doran was mentioned above.  Yes, people underestimate him, because they assume he knows no more than what he says, when in fact (I guess) he gives information on a need-to-know basis.  On a moral level, though, I think people overestimate him.  They assume he has more scruples than he actually has.

Melisandre - yes she is a villain, but she is also a more-accurate prophet, and more effective schemer, than some suppose.  All the rhetoric about her fallibility is just misdirection by the author.

Frog Martell. 

• 2 weeks later...
10 minutes ago, Bowen 747 said:

The court comedian and one of the sources for the history book.  Mushroom.  He was smart enough to feed the maester titillating information.  He kept their interests and squeezed as much payment out of them as he could. 

He is amusing. I hope the conversation he says happened between Cregan Stark and Alysanne Blackwood happens in HotD

Thoros of Myr.  

Yah yah, ruins good steel with wildfyre, crazy drunk with Robert, fool bad ass, the list goes on forever.  But, his faith is remarkable in the bleak existence he lives really in the trenches during wartime.  Still he jokes and laughs and becomes a real knight out there where men are kept in cages to die of starvation and women are hanged for sleeping with lions.  The Riverlands is the last place anyone wants to be and he won't leave.  The miracle of his transformation gives him gifts he doesn't understand and answered prayers he didn't know could be heard.  Now look what he's stuck with.