UK Politics - Now is the Spring of our Discontent

Which Tyler

1 hour ago, Spockydog said:

"God's plan for women."

Tell me you're in a cult without telling me you're in a cult:

Forbes wrote: "You can give me your culturally sensitive, historically contextualised and feminist-power arguments. But you’ll forgive me, I hope, if I choose to believe the One who loves me with an everlasting love, who made me and who died for me before I believe you."

She added: "My femininity is not a cultural, social or religious construct. It is a God-given mandate. Psychologists, doctors and even politicians are under no illusions of the differences between the sexes. Difference is to be embraced and enjoyed. Yet, too often women are under phenomenal pressure to become men."

6 minutes ago, Varysblackfyre321 said:

The reason why conservatives zero in this topic is because they can peel off support from people who aren't as terrible as them.

No, they do so because they know they can play on people's fears as a means to power, and in the process lie freely to generate the maximum amount of hatred which translates to money. 

3 hours ago, Derfel Cadarn said:

Fucking hell. Labour must be laughing.

oh and more Brexit benefits

The oddest thing about Turnipgate is that Therese Coffey is repeating one of Liz Truss's battiest moments, a moment that has been universally mocked: 

Also, all these turnip fans, have they actually eaten it? It's pretty much the worst of the root vegetables.  

9 minutes ago, Gaston de Foix said:

Also, all these turnip fans, have they actually eaten it? It's pretty much the worst of the root vegetables.  

It's fucking revolting. 

Can't help but laugh at the fact there's been a run on turnips since Coffey opened her gob. It appears a whole bunch of people actually took her advice. What a bunch of cretins. 

Mmmm, turnip salad. 

Mmmm, turnip pizza topping. 

Mmmmm, cheese and turnip sandwiches. 

Her suggesting turnips as a substitute for tomatoes and cucumbers is straight up trolling. She was taking the fucking piss, and I expect she is laughing at all the turnip chomping plebs. 

10 hours ago, Derfel Cadarn said:

In the olympics, female athletes used to be subject to mandatory gender testing, which could include physical examination. Princess Anne was exempt when she entered for show jumping. so i can well believe the Gileadists in America are bringing it back.

Also heard there are pushes to get girls to provide details of their menstrual cycle to monitor for possible abortions. 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sex_verification_in_sports

Such bills are  introduced to examine the genitals under the guise of preventing trans people from having an unfair advantage in athletics and lavatories, along with bills regarding tracking women's menstrual cycles.

The obsession of old white men with the genitals of everyone, but particularly those of young women is beyond obscene.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2022/06/06/ohio-bill-transgender-athletes-gender-confirmation-exams/

https://www.dispatch.com/story/news/2022/06/07/bill-transgender-athletes-could-require-genital-checks-girls/7529718001/

https://ohiocapitaljournal.com/2022/06/03/gop-passes-bill-aiming-to-root-out-suspected-transgender-female-athletes-with-genital-inspection/

https://www.politico.com/newsletters/new-jersey-playbook/2022/06/10/its-not-just-ohio-n-j-bill-has-genital-checks-to-guard-against-transgender-athletes-00038714

10 hours ago, BigFatCoward said:

You need to provide a citation for something that outrageous. 

You should have entered a few letters in a search window and clicked, instead of accusing me of lying -- without any warrant to do so, other than you want it to be lie. That's outrageous, you know. An apology is now warranted, right?

16 minutes ago, Spockydog said:

Unfortunately, it's definitely a thing. 

I may have misread what was written. It sounded like they were saying all girls genitals were getting looked at as a matter of course, as the girls at the school were all getting innapropriately felt up. 

23 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

I may have misread what was written. It sounded like they were saying all girls genitals were getting looked at as a matter of course, as the girls at the school were all getting innapropriately felt up. 

Only the ones who want to be athletes.

24 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

Please tell me you realize when even 'some' girls get looked at, that abuse does and will happen, whether it is doctors, coaches, teachers, you name them. 

This isn't an apology.l

15 minutes ago, Zorral said:

Please tell me you realize when even 'some' girls get looked at, that abuse does and will happen, whether it is doctors, coaches, teachers, you name them. 

Yeah, but not everyone is a nonce, infact not being a nonce is the norm. 

Recent story with retired SNP minister Andrew Neil as the source, claiming that Humza Yousef arranged to have a meeting at the time of the gay marriage vote in 2014 after pressure from his mosque. Humza voted for gay marriage in the stage 1 vote, but missed the final stage 3 vote owing to another commitment. (Humza says it was a meeting about someone arrested on a blasphemy charge in Pakistan – Mohammed Ashgar from Edinburgh) 

As far as I can tell, Neil is mostly a grumpy old man, fed-up with the way things work in Scottish Parliament, as well as being a Brexiter and a Scots nationalist. Yousef isn't going to appeal to him – too cautious and unlikely to press for change. 

Is Neil's story true? Could be. According to the Herald:

His diary records show that on 14 January 2014, he was asked by the then minister for parliamentary business, Joe FitzPatrick, to attend Holyrood for the gay marriage vote.

But 48 hours later, Mr Yousaf himself requested a meeting with the Pakistan Consul General in Glasgow on the same day as the vote, thereby creating a diary clash.

Yousef should say explicitly that he supports gay marriage as an indication that he has some political spine, but I don't think he'd be willing to do that. It doesn't make fruitcake Forbes look good in contrast; still, it muddies the waters. 

Meanwhile, I expect Regan's campaign will benefit from the problems of the two government candidates. She's positioning herself as an outsider/new broom, and this works in her favour. 

1 hour ago, dog-days said:

Recent story with retired SNP minister Andrew Neil

Alex Neil. Easy mistake, they're both reactionary blowhards.

Meanwhile, I expect Regan's campaign will benefit from the problems of the two government candidates. She's positioning herself as an outsider/new broom, and this works in her favour. 

As I remarked earlier, there's no sign of this happening, despite Forbes' travails.

Yousef should say explicitly that he supports gay marriage as an indication that he has some political spine, but I don't think he'd be willing to do that.

In the article you've linked, Yousaf states

I was not one of them because I have supported equal marriage, supported it at Stage 1, support it now, would have supported it back then.”

Pretty explicit, no?

13 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

Forbes wrote: "You can give me your culturally sensitive, historically contextualised and feminist-power arguments. But you’ll forgive me, I hope, if I choose to believe the One who loves me with an everlasting love, who made me and who died for me before I believe you.

This woman is an actual misogynist who will definitely women's reproductive rights, and station in the public and gay rights.

Who will terfs in general say is an improvement on Sturgeon because she thinks women can't rape(have sex with someone without their consent) and trans women are predators.

13 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

No, they do so because they know they can play on people's fears as a means to power, and in the process lie freely to generate the maximum amount of hatred which translates to money. 

That doesn't contradict what I said though.

they often framing their bigoted campaigns as concerned with things more liberal people are concerned with like Fairness(which conservatives on average do not care much about) to apeal to people who don’t like to see themselves as theocratic faschists like Matt Walsh but are at least uneasy towards LGbT people because different.

Archived