UK Politics - Now is the Spring of our Discontent

Which Tyler

7 hours ago, Zorral said:

Not every thread needs to be turned around to how America is fucking up.

16 minutes ago, Varysblackfyre321 said:

Not every thread needs to be turned around to how America is fucking up.

It's in England, you do know, which is where this particular outrage of old white guys stating what girls should and should not wear started, you do know.

About which you were pontificating much outrage.  So WTF???????? :P

Looks like Rishi has gotten a new NI deal. Seems to be some sort of Stormont Break that could be used to prevent new single market rules being put in place.

Hopefully this new NI deal will help to solve the Tomato and vegetable shortage in the Republic of Ireland which has obviously been caused by Brexit.

https://www.irishtimes.com/ireland/2023/02/24/tomato-shortage-in-ireland-to-last-until-summer-growers-warn/

Rationing move introduced as tomato shortage impacts Irish supermarkets

3 hours ago, Raja said:

If Steve Baker is on board, surely this deal by Sunak will pass

It's in the national interest.  Let's hope Sunak finally grows some balls.  

It's also not in the national interest for a third successive PM to be brought down by his or her tragic flaws (Cameron, Johnson, Truss) or a band of disaffected malcontents who want to watch the world burn (Theresa May).  

53 minutes ago, Gaston de Foix said:

a third successive PM to be brought down by his or her tragic flaws (Cameron, Johnson, Truss)

Quibbling but:

For it to be a tragedy for someone to be brought down by their flaws they need to have strengths that, without the flaws, might have enabled them to go on and achieve great things.

Now Cameron I might just give you, but the idea that Johnson or Truss had such strengths is one that I seriously balk at.

1 hour ago, A wilding said:

Quibbling but:

For it to be a tragedy for someone to be brought down by their flaws they need to have strengths that, without the flaws, might have enabled them to go on and achieve great things.

Now Cameron I might just give you, but the idea that Johnson or Truss had such strengths is one that I seriously balk at.

Fair point.  Truss I will concede.  

BoJo had real political gifts that took him from a disgraced journalist to the heights of politics and got him a resounding mandate: https://www.spectator.co.uk/article/my-boris-johnson-story/

The fact that he was chronically unsuited for the office he desperately lusted and failed pathetically in it after shouldn't obscure that.  

Archived