UK Politics - Now is the Spring of our Discontent

Which Tyler

CROPPED OUT - The Curious Tale of the BBC, Brexit and our Missing Vegetables

The shortage of vegetables in the UK has been noticed in Europe, with serious newspapers publishing articles about how Britain’s supermarkets are limiting the number of peppers, cucumbers and tomatoes that customers can buy and featuring photos of the extensive gaps on their shelves.

Germany’s Der Spiegel, for example, ran a long article about the shortages. Noting the bad weather in Spain and Morocco, the article cited the National Farmers Union’s view that “increased costs, trade barriers caused by Brexit and a lack of staff” were to blame (and, of course, the staff shortages are also at least partly a consequence of Brexit).

I live in Germany, and there’s no obvious shortage of vegetables here. The supermarkets near my home in Munich are fully stocked, though I have noticed that prices have risen. And this is something that Der Spiegel also picked up on – German traders say there has been a rise in prices and more are likely.

But there are no actual shortages in Germany, or apparently anywhere else in Europe.

Just now, Spockydog said:

"But there are no actual shortages in Germany, or apparently anywhere else in Europe."

Republic of Ireland of course isn't in Europe is it. Fucking Brexit.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/food/arid-41079614.html

Irish Examiner food columnist Caitríona Redmond noted: "The shortages due to poor weather on mainland Europe are having a clear impact on shoppers in North County Dublin today. A wise move by SuperValu to introduce rationing to make it fair for everyone. This supply issue should be temporary and I'm certainly looking forward to enjoying Irish tomatoes on the shelves soon."

51 minutes ago, Raja said:

Someone should tell him. How does he say these things and not realize lol :lol:

Access to both the UK markets and the EU single market … amazing!

NI have really won a watch, having access to BOTH markets. Such a thing would have been unthinkable before Brexit…

wait…

Apparently these messages show that Hancock rejected Chris Witty's advice to test everyone going into a care home.

This life-saving advice was rejected because it would 'interfere with targets.'

*sounds corporate manslaughter claxon*

15 minutes ago, Spockydog said:

I always like to joke that no group is more overrepresented than sociopaths in corporate boardrooms. And we wonder why we can't have nice things...

4 hours ago, Spockydog said:

Apparently these messages show that Hancock rejected Chris Witty's advice to test everyone going into a care home.

This life-saving advice was rejected because it would 'interfere with targets.'

It seems a bit more complicated than that, if they’d done more testing in care homes they wouldn’t have had enough tests for key workers or other important groups. Seems to be more of a difficult decision about who got priority for the limited number of available tests than anything sinister.

1 minute ago, Maltaran said:

Seems to be more of a difficult decision about who got priority for the limited number of available tests than anything sinister.

I'll have to see the rest of the stuff released before we get there, for what it's worth I don't think of this as sinister but more incompetence.

I've not read all the stuff, but Sridhar's review here in the guardian is scathing but something I agree with

Whatever the Telegraph’s intention, these WhatsApp messages will show the British public what’s been apparent to most of the world, and to scientists advising throughout the pandemic.

By acting too late, and then with its conduct throughout the pandemic, the government let us down during arguably the largest crisis of our generation. Too many people died before their time.

Too many health workers worked in unsafe and risky conditions. Repeated lockdowns decimated financial stability for small and medium-sized businesses.

Schools were closed in Britain for far too long because preparations weren’t made on how to keep them open safely. Scientists took the brunt of the abuse and anger from the major losers. Ministers and their friends made their own rules and made money during the crisis. And Matt Hancock launched a lucrative media career off the back of it all.

1 hour ago, polishgenius said:

Haven't there been studies confirming this? 

I think experts would say studies strongly suggest it. And to clarify, the better descriptor is psychopath. Some psychopaths can control their behaviors and utilize it to their advantage in the corporate world while sociopaths largely can’t iirc. A quick Google search produces results ranging from 4%-20% of CEOs that show psychopathic tendencies compared to roughly 1% of the general public.

8 hours ago, Derfel Cadarn said:

During a time there was a shortage of covid tests, it appears Tees-Mogg had one couriered to his home gor one of his kids

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-64816834

I've got no problem with this. If it meant he could get back to work and not quarantine. 

This prick on the other hand https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-64814421

Archived