UK Politics - Now is the Spring of our Discontent

Which Tyler

19 minutes ago, Spockydog said:

To be clear, the BBC has a policy that its 'news' employees are not to express political opinions (tho, Kuenssberg, lol). That restriction does not apply to actors or sports presenters.

I’m sure that’s what Lineker thinks but the rules are not so clear cut:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-64889868

The BBC's editorial guidelines state: "Where individuals identify themselves as being linked with the BBC, or are programme makers, editorial staff, reporters or presenters primarily associated with the BBC, their activities on social media have the potential to compromise the BBC's impartiality and to damage its reputation."

The MPs calling for his sacking do realise that the BBC doesn’t run twitter? Moving to a different higher paying broadcaster with no impartiality rules is hardly going to get him to shush.

The BBC taking issue with Lineker over a law that's been called 'profoundly concerning' by the UNHCR is quite something :wideeyed:

Especially when you take into account the fact that the BBC had no issue with talking about human rights issues in Qatar ( which is totally the right thing to do)

Alex Scott is a good presenter, certainly has more charisma than the chummy Lineker performance.

I’d much rather have someone who was good at presenting and interested in football present the show than be forced to watch some ex pro who just seems utterly bored by the whole thing.

Her and Mark Chapman show you don’t need to have played football at the highest level to be good at presenting. 

4 hours ago, Heartofice said:

Her and Mark Chapman show you don’t need to have played football at the highest level to be good at presenting. 

LOL.

Honours[edit]

Arsenal

England

13 minutes ago, Spockydog said:

Me winning Wallsend boys club 5 a side league age 11, 12, 14, 15, 16 (i was injured for most of age 13 season so we finished 2nd) is more impressive, because I'm a man. 

On 3/9/2023 at 2:15 AM, Gaston de Foix said:

Rishi and the rest of the gang obviously think it is, because one of his 5 priorities is to STOP THE BOATS.  Either Rishi thinks that he can actually stop the boats and the public will reward him at the general election, or he will get credit for trying and be able to successfully blame others (judges, Labour, civil servants) and help the Tories save seats. 

You're making an assumption here that should be reasonable, but I think is a mistake. The UK and the US have been using shitty policies beta tested by Australia for over a decade now, but "Stop the boats" isn't just loosely copying policy, it's verbatim the primary slogan used by Tony Abbot to get into government a decade ago, and they trotted out the sentiment constantly while in government to the point that wanker in chief Scott Morrison gave himself a trophy shaped like a boat saying "I stopped these" - this guardian piece is actually talking about the Aus connection here https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/uk-news/2023/mar/08/stop-the-boats-sunaks-anti-asylum-slogan-echoes-australia-harsh-policy

Now the part where I think you're making a mistake is assuming that they need to actually succeed. If they follow the play book that was used here then they'll classify everything relating to boat arrivals and then use this silence to claim it was successful. We had basically no reporting on it for years so they could claim this, then Morrison leaked news of a boat arrival literally on the day of our election to try scare people once he realized he was going to lose, which I'm still fucking angry about.

And I think it's a safe assumption that they're going to follow more of the play book since they're already copying more than just "stop the boats", the "if you come here illegally you won't get x,y,z" is also straight out of our advertising although we only apply it to boat arrivals. And yeah, advertising - we were fucking buying ad spots in countries like Sri Lanka to try scare people off seeking asylum. Showing the rest of the Western world that you can pull this shit without consequences is one of the shames of my county and it just doesn't stop.

48 minutes ago, karaddin said:

You're making an assumption here that should be reasonable, but I think is a mistake. The UK and the US have been using shitty policies beta tested by Australia for over a decade now, but "Stop the boats" isn't just loosely copying policy, it's verbatim the primary slogan used by Tony Abbot to get into government a decade ago, and they trotted out the sentiment constantly while in government to the point that wanker in chief Scott Morrison gave himself a trophy shaped like a boat saying "I stopped these" - this guardian piece is actually talking about the Aus connection here https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/uk-news/2023/mar/08/stop-the-boats-sunaks-anti-asylum-slogan-echoes-australia-harsh-policy

Now the part where I think you're making a mistake is assuming that they need to actually succeed. If they follow the play book that was used here then they'll classify everything relating to boat arrivals and then use this silence to claim it was successful. We had basically no reporting on it for years so they could claim this, then Morrison leaked news of a boat arrival literally on the day of our election to try scare people once he realized he was going to lose, which I'm still fucking angry about.

And I think it's a safe assumption that they're going to follow more of the play book since they're already copying more than just "stop the boats", the "if you come here illegally you won't get x,y,z" is also straight out of our advertising although we only apply it to boat arrivals. And yeah, advertising - we were fucking buying ad spots in countries like Sri Lanka to try scare people off seeking asylum. Showing the rest of the Western world that you can pull this shit without consequences is one of the shames of my county and it just doesn't stop.

That's a hell of a point, thanks for raising it. 

Now that you mention it, I wonder whether there is a Lynton Crosby connection? He's had his finger in British politics for a while now...

Archived