UK Politics - Now is the Spring of our Discontent

Which Tyler

BREAKINGLineker to return to air this weekend after BBC deal reached

Gary Lineker and BBC management have reached a deal to get the presenter back on air, after the weekend's disruption to BBC Sport schedules.

Director General Tim Davie says: “Gary is a valued part of the BBC and I know how much the BBC means to Gary, and I look forward to him presenting our coverage this coming weekend.”

In a statement, Davie also announces the BBC will launch an independent review into its social media guidelines, with a particular focus on freelancers outside news and current affairs like Lineker.

Gary Lineker says in the statement: "I am glad that we have found a way forward. I support this review and look forward to getting back on air."

Looks like the BBC has U turned, and realised what a mistake it made.  I hope the indepentent review really is independent and doesn't take too long.

Maybe since Sue Grey is between jobs while she waits to be allowed to work for Labour, the BBC could ask her?

And Lineker has just been tweeting again:

A final thought: however difficult the last few days have been, it simply doesn’t compare to having to flee your home from persecution or war to seek refuge in a land far away. It’s heartwarming to have seen the empathy towards their plight from so many of you. We remain a country of predominantly tolerant, welcoming and generous people. Thank you.

I bet that one has got right up Braverman's nose. :D

They are so fucking thick, they didn't realise what piling on to Lineker would lead to.

For years now, the infiltration of the BBC by Tory donors, former Tory SPADS and Tory communications wonks has gone largely unremarked upon. Now they've gone and shone a big fucking searchlight on the situation. The dozy cunts.

I do feel for Brace slightly. It seems clear that she was simply toeing the BBC line which is basically equal deference to both sides - to the wife who made credible accusations of repeated abuse backed up by injuries treated in hospital, and to the husband who has not even had the face to issue a denial himself but instead put up unnamed "friends" to claim off the record that it was just a once off.

Of course she should have had the courage to say what she thought, especially as an ambassador of an abuse charity, and she can justly be despised for making herself part of the problem.

She does not deserve the benefit of any doubt. That was disgraceful. And week after week, she arbitrarily shuts down criticism of this awful government's policy and criminality. I could compile a dossier, but I can't be arsed.

The fact she is married to one of the Tories' chief advertising strategists means her impartiality is likely nothing but fantasy. Her hosting QT is farcical. 

33 minutes ago, A wilding said:

I do feel for Brace slightly. It seems clear that she was simply toeing the BBC line which is basically equal deference to both sides - to the wife who made credible accusations of repeated abuse backed up by injuries treated in hospital, and to the husband who has not even had the face to issue a denial himself but instead put up unnamed "friends" to claim off the record that it was just a once off.

It seems like this is tongue-in-cheek but to be clear her fault was not acknowledging, as a journalist in the post Me-Too era, the testimony of an abuse victim as compared to a second-hand denial.  Whatever the BBC guidelines, they should take second place to her journalistic ethics.  Trying to both-sides this issue as opposed to just reporting his second-hand denial as context and in the interest of of fairness was her mistake.  And she did that because Stanley Johnson is Boris' dad. 

What kind of son doesn't give a toss that his father beat his mother repeatedly and broke her nose? I find the English upper class so mystifying.  

30 hours free childcare. I won't hear a bad word about Jeremy Hunt. No idea where the spaces will come from to realise the benefits of getting people back to work, but my kid already has one. 

That's the equivalent of a 750 a quid a month back in my pocket (for 39 weeks a year). 

Archived