UK Politics - Now is the Spring of our Discontent

Which Tyler

7 hours ago, Spockydog said:

Oh, look. Here's another fascist doing an extremely good job of embarrassing themselves.

I think 'Labour are as good at politics as Gary Lineker was at football' perhaps isn't the devastating insult that they seem to think it is.

7 hours ago, Gaston de Foix said:

That's a hell of a point, thanks for raising it. 

Now that you mention it, I wonder whether there is a Lynton Crosby connection? He's had his finger in British politics for a while now...

I don't know him at all but he did get mentioned in the article 

10 hours ago, karaddin said:

You're making an assumption here that should be reasonable, but I think is a mistake. The UK and the US have been using shitty policies beta tested by Australia for over a decade now, but "Stop the boats" isn't just loosely copying policy, it's verbatim the primary slogan used by Tony Abbot to get into government a decade ago, and they trotted out the sentiment constantly while in government to the point that wanker in chief Scott Morrison gave himself a trophy shaped like a boat saying "I stopped these" - this guardian piece is actually talking about the Aus connection here https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/uk-news/2023/mar/08/stop-the-boats-sunaks-anti-asylum-slogan-echoes-australia-harsh-policy

Now the part where I think you're making a mistake is assuming that they need to actually succeed. If they follow the play book that was used here then they'll classify everything relating to boat arrivals and then use this silence to claim it was successful. We had basically no reporting on it for years so they could claim this, then Morrison leaked news of a boat arrival literally on the day of our election to try scare people once he realized he was going to lose, which I'm still fucking angry about.

And I think it's a safe assumption that they're going to follow more of the play book since they're already copying more than just "stop the boats", the "if you come here illegally you won't get x,y,z" is also straight out of our advertising although we only apply it to boat arrivals. And yeah, advertising - we were fucking buying ad spots in countries like Sri Lanka to try scare people off seeking asylum. Showing the rest of the Western world that you can pull this shit without consequences is one of the shames of my county and it just doesn't stop.

Ah, but the difference is Aus doesn't have Nigel Farage who will regularly go and stand on a beach and yell at boats to show that the Tories are not the real boat stoppers, only Reform UK can guarantee they will stop the boats.

21 minutes ago, The Anti-Targ said:

Ah, but the difference is Aus doesn't have Nigel Farage who will regularly go and stand on a beach and yell at boats to show that the Tories are not the real boat stoppers, only Reform UK can guarantee they will stop the boats.

You obviously haven't heard of One Nation party lead by Pauline Hansen.

Although to be fair, it's a lot harder to go out and get video of shouting at boats when we're talking small islands stuck off desert mainland in the Indian ocean and Timor sea. 

52 minutes ago, ants said:

Although to be fair, it's a lot harder to go out and get video of shouting at boats when we're talking small islands stuck off desert mainland in the Indian ocean and Timor sea. 

Yeah I did have a brief moment of "there's a lot more sparsely populated coast line in Australia" while doing that post lol. I don't think it matters, if they effectively scare people with the threat of prison time and the media is complicit they can still do a pretty good job of it.

8 hours ago, williamjm said:

I think 'Labour are as good at politics as Gary Lineker was at football' perhaps isn't the devastating insult that they seem to think it is.

The whole point of a striker is that they play centrally! They don't play on the left wing! I get that the 'left wing strikers' bit was just too tempting a line but it makes the whole thing make no actual sense!

He also never had a yellow card, you’d think she’d work that into the analogy, rule following never having been a priority for this government.

Sunak called Starmer a ‘lawyer’ during PM’s questions, suggesting a lawyer is just the type of person you might expect to object to a law considered unworkable and illegal. People don’t like goal hangers and lawyers apparently.

11 minutes ago, john said:

He also never had a yellow card, you’d think she’d work that into the analogy, rule following never having been a priority for this government.

Sunak called Starmer a ‘lawyer’ during PM’s questions, suggesting a lawyer is just the type of person you might expect to object to a law considered unworkable and illegal. People don’t like goal hangers and lawyers apparently.

But relate to City bankers who made a fortune off the credit crunch, apparently.

He should sue them for constructive dismissal. 

All his lawyers would need to do is pull up some tweets from Alan Sugar and Andrew Neil in the courtroom. Or maybe show the jury some of Kuenssberg’s social media turds.

Archived