Check out Otherkin: a real world subculture

Sandy Clegg

May be of interest to some so I’m going to leave this link here:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Otherkin

It caught my eye because they use a seven-pointed star. Wiki puts their origin at around 1990.

Otherkin may identify as mythical creatures,[5] with others identifying as creatures from the natural world or from popular culture. Examples include: angels, demons, dragons, elves, fairies, sprites, wolves, foxes, horses, aliens,[6][7][8] and fictional characters.[9]

6 hours ago, Sandy Clegg said:

May be of interest to some so I’m going to leave this link here:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Otherkin

This is right up my street :)If there are Dragonkin, why not Otherkin? That's basically what Craster giving his sons to the Others and his wives' belief that the sons are brothers to the Others implies.

On 2/22/2023 at 10:26 PM, Sandy Clegg said:

Yeah I'm at the stage now where I have so many notes that when I stumble across something random I just post it without thinking before I forget it!

Have you tried Evernote to organise your notes? I find that quite useful.

There are literary and symbolic connections between the Others and the FotS, but I think the Faith and Andals represent a complicated missing link between the ancient ancestors of the Andals (proto-Andals) who were distinct from the First Men, and the Others.  Ancient Proto-Andal families in Westeros would include the Hightowers, Daynes, Royces and Boltons, in my view. 

Perhaps "moleskin" is also related to this idea of "kin." Jon Snow and Waymar Royce are the only ones who wear moleskin gloves (the sheath of Jon's original sword was also made of moleskin). Since moles are burrowing creatures that live a subterranean lifestyle, "mole's kin" could be hinting at ancestry going back to the mazemakers and builders of underground tunnels and labyrinths for instance. 

13 minutes ago, Evolett said:

link between the ancient ancestors of the Andals (proto-Andals) who were distinct from the First Men, and the Others. 

Believe it or not Andal’s are connected to Rhoynar. Whether these connections are actually intended or just result of bad world building I can’t tell, but they are there.

16 minutes ago, Evolett said:

Perhaps "moleskin" is also related to this idea of "kin." Jon Snow and Waymar Royce are the only ones who wear moleskin gloves

I wonder if it’s something like “being in someone’s shoes”? Perhaps wearing  someone’s gloves would be acting on their behalf, doing their work etc. Like a hand or “Hand” in the case of a king.

33 minutes ago, Corvo the Crow said:

I wonder if it’s something like “being in someone’s shoes”? Perhaps wearing  someone’s gloves would be acting on their behalf, doing their work etc. Like a hand or “Hand” in the case of a king.

Could well be. There's a lot we can interpret into "moleskin." "Sonlike" is an almost anagram which might also be relevant. A mole is also a term for a sleeper or under cover agent. Could be many things, rolled into one. 

3 hours ago, Evolett said:

Perhaps "moleskin" is also related to this idea of "kin." Jon Snow and Waymar Royce are the only ones who wear moleskin gloves (the sheath of Jon's original sword was also made of moleskin).

My contribution on the wordplay of 'moleskin' is that we can read the word as mole's kin, or family, which gives us:

• BOAR (a male mole)
  • SOW (a female mole)
  • PUP (a young mole)

3 hours ago, Corvo the Crow said:

We could even go more literal. Feet (into boots) have skinchanging imagery throughout the books, so why not hands (into gloves)? 

13 hours ago, Evolett said:

Since moles are burrowing creatures that live a subterranean lifestyle, "mole's kin" could be hinting at ancestry going back to the mazemakers and builders of underground tunnels and labyrinths for instance. 

Jon's bad dreams lead him underground to the crypts where he experiences a great deal of fear.  On the other hand, in the cave north of the Wall where he spends time with Ygritte and learns of the story of Gorne and Gendel, he has a great time, and he and Ygritte do not want to leave. 

Currently, he is either dead or gravely injured, either way, he will symbolically be going underground. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/24/2023 at 3:51 AM, Evolett said:

Perhaps "moleskin" is also related to this idea of "kin." Jon Snow and Waymar Royce are the only ones who wear moleskin gloves (the sheath of Jon's original sword was also made of moleskin). Since moles are burrowing creatures that live a subterranean lifestyle, "mole's kin" could be hinting at ancestry going back to the mazemakers and builders of underground tunnels and labyrinths for instance. 

I like this thought:) Also, Waymar’s moleskin gloves is soaked with red. However, in that scene things only seem red as fire. The blood is actually black to our eyes because of the Purkinje effect. So the gloves are soaked with black fire.

Archived