ASOIAF Should have had a long running Smallfolk POV

King_Tristifer_IV_Mudd

I feel like we really should’ve had one. Maybe someone from the BWB. Every perspective we have is essentially from someone from a noble family. It would add a new dimension to the story. We could see the effects that the Starks, Lannisters, Baratheons, and Dany has when they carry out their plans.

9 minutes ago, Curled Finger said:

That's what I thought the BwB was doing? Oh I forgot, Varys is the voice of reason and the people here.  

I think he’s talking about POV characters. Davos is closest, but ennobled. Jon and Arya live like commoners a lot of the time in the books, but aren’t. Dany was more or less property at the beginning, but also Blood of the Dragon. It’s definitely something someone very conscious of classes would note, but GRRM isn’t really one of those people. His awareness of class struggles are mostly historical, academic and/or American, which is to say the one they pretend doesn’t really exist or determine the fates of most people.

Dunk is the only real answer, except he’s not in ASoIaF and his stories are (so far) all about interacting with the nobility. 

3 minutes ago, James Arryn said:

I think he’s talking about POV characters. Davos is closest, but ennobled. Jon and Arya live like commoners a lot of the time in the books, but aren’t. Dany was more or less property at the beginning, but also Blood of the Dragon. It’s definitely something someone very conscious of classes would note, but GRRM isn’t really one of those people. His awareness of class struggles are mostly historical, academic and/or American, which is to say the one they pretend doesn’t really exist or determine the fates of most people.

Varys is a POV in the epilogue of Dance, right?  They call him Lord but he only holds a position.  He would have no power or money without the position, right?  Well, who knows on that one.  Davos is a very humble (thinking) noble person and constantly considers losing and not being worthy of his title and lands.  He does virtually nothing for his own gain but for the love of Stannis, his benefactor.  He doesn't behave like a lord or knight or hand, not if those we see in story are the standard.  The great difference between Davos and "the smallfolk" I see is occupation.  Davos was a seaman where most of the smallfolk we have are farmers or people with land jobs.  Davos takes a lot of crap despite his high station.   

Just now, Curled Finger said:

Varys is a POV in the epilogue of Dance, right?  They call him Lord but he only holds a position.  He would have no power or money without the position, right?  Well, who knows on that one.  Davos is a very humble (thinking) noble person and constantly considers losing and not being worthy of his title and lands.  He does virtually nothing for his own gain but for the love of Stannis, his benefactor.  He doesn't behave like a lord or knight or hand, not if those we see in story are the standard.  The great difference between Davos and "the smallfolk" I see is occupation.  Davos was a seaman where most of the smallfolk we have are farmers or people with land jobs.  Davos takes a lot of crap despite his high station.   

I think it was Kevan.

1 minute ago, Angel Eyes said:

Doesn't the epilogue for ADWD end with Kevan's POV of getting poked full of holes?

You, my friend are absolutely correct.  I better get on the good foot!  Didn't even have any shade of the evening.  Air bubble in the brain?  

Archived