Knowing It's Coming and Not Liking It

Curled Finger

This waiting is a drag.  I gave up rereading maybe 3 years ago, maybe longer and surprise myself at how much I do retain sometimes, though being in the forum helps.  I have never lost my interest in Westeros nor quit imagining and analyzing what may happen in TWOW.  As the wait extends new things occur to me and things I once though improbable seem possible.  Since the first read it's been my greatest dread that The Others were coming to wreak devastation.  This cold dark ruin has given me shudders.  Now the Others are pushed further from my thoughts having no new clues or theories to ponder.  The characters and their stories are with me as I imagine they are with all of us who post here.  They fascinate and move us.  Margaery would probably make a very good queen and what new horrors await the Stark sisters and what the hell is really going on in Bloodraven's cave?  Has Septon Meribald gone for help and will Jamie be intercepted before he meets LSH?  Is Brienne dead and revived?   What is the state of Jon's being?  What is Jojen doing at the mouth of the cave?  How long will Dany take to get back to Mereen?   What will happen during this battle between Tyrion, Victarion and Barriston?  Will Penny survive?   Is Aerion simply hallucinating everything in The Forsaken or is Euron really about to make something horrifically magical happen?  Will Cersei regain power or flee?   These are but a few of the things that flash through my mind throughout the week as well as Jon Connington slowly turning to stone literally and metaphorically and the sad brave death I know awaits the Tyrell brothers and hoping I don't end up cheering when Harry the Heir is crushed beneath a horse or by a well placed lance.   Surely I am not alone here.  What do you dread reading in TWOW? 

2 minutes ago, Lord Edmure of Riverrun said:

I’m also pretty certain Jon Connington is going to burn Kings Landing in a PTSD meltdown triggered by the Bells of KL and his Greyscale

Ah geez, I was thinking a meltdown all badass sort of thing, but if he burns KL the wildfyre goes nuclear.  Ah geez.  That sucks, too.  

22 minutes ago, Curled Finger said:

hoping I don't end up cheering when Harry the Heir is crushed beneath a horse or by a well placed lance.   Surely I am not alone here.  What do you dread reading in TWOW? 

I wouldn't wish being crushed by a horse on anyone, and while Harry is an entitled little prick, he is another one manipulated by Littlefinger. Here's what I don't want to see:

Clegane bowl, which I see as, well as Arya would put it "That's just stupid!"

Arya still in Braavos by the end of WOW-- come home girl!

More undead, no GRRM, what there is now is enough.

I don't want to see Jon dead or undead.  

Agree that burning Shireen would be terrible.   Perhaps if it actually occurs, the Freefolk will turn on Mel for such a horrid action.

Years ago, GRRM said there would be a few marriages in WOW, but right now, who that might be I couldn't guess.

1 minute ago, LongRider said:

I wouldn't wish being crushed by a horse on anyone, and while Harry is an entitled little prick, he is another one manipulated by Littlefinger. Here's what I don't want to see:

Clegane bowl, which I see as, well as Arya would put it "That's just stupid!"

Arya still in Braavos by the end of WOW-- come home girl!

More undead, no GRRM, what there is now is enough.

I don't want to see Jon dead or undead.  

Agree that burning Shireen would be terrible.   Perhaps if it actually occurs, the Freefolk will turn on Mel for such a horrid action.

Years ago, GRRM said there would be a few marriages in WOW, but right now, who that might be I couldn't guess.

I like what you did there.  You always manage to make me smile, even when I'm thinking about Aegon being blown to bits by wildfyre by a man who raised him presumably loved him...

1 minute ago, Curled Finger said:

I like what you did there.  You always manage to make me smile, even when I'm thinking about Aegon being blown to bits by wildfyre by a man who raised him presumably loved him...

One thing that keeps me going, is only GRRM really knows, what, who, how, when and why about how the story unfolds.  He also has the ability to surprise the reader with his clever twists and turns.  I have my wishlist, but it's all up to GRRM.   :dunno:

14 minutes ago, LongRider said:

One thing that keeps me going, is only GRRM really knows, what, who, how, when and why about how the story unfolds.  He also has the ability to surprise the reader with his clever twists and turns.  I have my wishlist, but it's all up to GRRM.   :dunno:

As I've said in other threads I wouldn't be surprised if GRRM pulls the rug out from under us.

3 minutes ago, Angel Eyes said:

As I've said in other threads I wouldn't be surprised if GRRM pulls the rug out from under us.

Like what?  See, this is the guy who had Brienne's face bitten off then had her strung up.  I anticipate the worst from him.  No quick explosions for Margaery, no way.  (Perhaps this is what's wrong with my memory?)  What do you not look forward to reading?

2 hours ago, Mithras said:

Time travel. If GRRM delves into that mess, the last bit of hold he still has on the plot will be severed beyond repair.

Hear, hear! 

Though I think the time travel stuff comes more from readers and their ‘theories’ than clues or foreshadowing in the text. 

I’m not sure how to answer the OP’s question… for me it’s much more about what I want to see rather than what I don’t. :dunno:

56 minutes ago, kissdbyfire said:

Here, hear! 

Though I think the time travel stuff comes more from readers and their ‘theories’ than clues or foreshadowing in the text. 

I agree with you. But still, there is the Hodor twist which is confirmed to happen in some fashion.

I’m somewhat hopeful after hearing about the original drafts for AFFC/ADWD’s and learning just how much GRRM seems to change, when he edits. It makes me very hopeful that the books will be very different, after learning that Vic was originally suppose to die in his second chapter and that whole subplot of Jon tracking down the deserters at Crasters Keep during the 4th season, was from a dropped plot line from ADWD. Same with Kevan being kidnapped and Arya’s blinding being a last minute thing. Most of all I was shocked that Janos Slynth was suppose to survive ADWD.

2 hours ago, kissdbyfire said:

It's in text

2 hours ago, kissdbyfire said:

I’m not sure how to answer the OP’s question… for me it’s much more about what I want to see rather than what I don’t

Exactly! Couldn't put it better!

Also, imo, usually, the darker the better. So do I want to see Shireen burn? Not particularly. But do I want to see what Stannis the kinslayer acts like? Hell yea.

Archived