Knowing It's Coming and Not Liking It

Curled Finger

1 hour ago, Mithras said:

I agree with you. But still, there is the Hodor twist which is confirmed to happen in some fashion.

Oh damn, I forgot all about that b/c by the time that happened I had already given up on the abomination. Still, not sure it will happen exactly the same way… and if it does, I hope Martin does it in a way that feels organic and also that the story doesn’t turn into a time travel bonanza, the way some readers seem to think it will. 

Back to answering the OP’s question: I’m dreading any time travel insanity that may perhaps happen. :uhoh:

14 minutes ago, Hugorfonics said:

It's in text

Where? Outlander? The Time Machine? 

14 minutes ago, Hugorfonics said:

Exactly! Couldn't put it better!

Also, imo, usually, the darker the better. So do I want to see Shireen burn? Not particularly. But do I want to see what Stannis the kinslayer acts like? Hell yea.

Shireen burning will be sooooooooo hard to read… :crying:

11 hours ago, LongRider said:

I wouldn't wish being crushed by a horse on anyone, and while Harry is an entitled little prick, he is another one manipulated by Littlefinger.

I don't want Harry to die either, but every time Sansa prays or wishes for something it gets answered one way or another. Maybe it will just be a minor or major injury, maybe it will be a game changer for his attitude.

26 minutes ago, Hugorfonics said:

Also, imo, usually, the darker the better. So do I want to see Shireen burn? Not particularly. But do I want to see what Stannis the kinslayer acts like? Hell yea.

You're going to hell for this. He's not going to burn her, he's just gonna take her on a fun daddy-daughter date to a toasty bonfire. :wub: It'll be cute, you'll see.

40 minutes ago, kissdbyfire said:

Where? Outlander? The Time Machine? 

Shireen burning will be sooooooooo hard to read… :crying:

Presumably, we get it through Jon's POV, who is presumably horrified, but in desperation, needs Stannis as an ally after the Others breach the Wall.

Or, if Shireen is burned to revive Jon, then through Melisandre's.  Melisandre will feel regret, but do it for what she considers the greater good.  Selyse will sing joyfully to the Red God as Shireen burns, after having told her daughter it is a great honour for her to be burned alive. 

Or maybe through Asha's, who presumably would feel the same way as Jon. 

I know quite a few people think Stannis won't burn Shireen but we do have to remember that this is the man who left one brother to die, killed the other over a crown he supposedly 'didn't want', and was ready to burn his nephew alive.

Now it would probably be a harder decision for him to make to kill Shireen then it was when he chose to kill Renly, but I think he would do it if Melisandre convinced him it was absolutely necessary, like with Edric.

6 minutes ago, Craving Peaches said:

I know quite a few people think Stannis won't burn Shireen but we do have to remember that this is the man who left one brother to die, killed the other over a crown he supposedly 'didn't want', and was ready to burn his nephew alive.

Now it would probably be a harder decision for him to make to kill Shireen then it was when he chose to kill Renly, but I think he would do it if Melisandre convinced him it was absolutely necessary, like with Edric.

I mean if he does burn her, it’s not happening until the very end of WOW or the beginning of ADOS. The guy is way too far from the Wall and travel during the winter season takes an insane amount of time.

14 minutes ago, SeanF said:

Selyse will sing joyfully to the Red God as Shireen burns, after having told her daughter it is a great honour for her to be burned alive.

I’m 100% certain that if Shireen burns that’s exactly how Selyse will handle the situation. She’s a religious nut, and a bad person besides. :ack:

there are so many things I dread to read in tWoW and yet, I think are quite plausible...

1. Shireen burning

2. Tommen and Myrcella's deaths will be sad either way but I'd especially hate it if it's by the Sand Snakes 

3. Aegon revealing to be a Blackfyre... frankly, I don't like this theory currently! I used to like it but not anymore! 

4. Cersei surviving ... can't bare the woman ... hopefully the Valanquer will take her down in the winds

5. Jon Connington burning down himself and Kingslanding with it , meanwhile damaging Aegon's cause terribly. a catastrophe sounded inevitable from the very first time I read Jon Con's chapter and the show's Bells only make it too damn obvious. but the man's life is so f***ing tragic, I hate to read that happen. 

then, there are some things I'd be seriously disappointed if I don't see happen in the Winds: 

1. Dany must come to Westeros finally

2. there should be more Bran chapters, more Others related stuff and I'd be genuinely pissed if Winds doesn't dive into magical stuff

3. I also want to finally get the answer to Jon's crypt dreams . and No, I do not think it's [only] about his parentage

all in all , this book has a lot to answer and wrap up before the last book and has to seriously make up for the long long wait . 

3 minutes ago, kissdbyfire said:

I’m 100% certain that if Shireen burns that’s exactly how Selyse will handle the situation. She’s a religious nut, and a bad person besides. :ack:

She'd be like one of the parents giving their children to be burned by the priests of Moloch.

1 hour ago, kissdbyfire said:

Where?

The tree was slender compared to other weirwoods he had seen, no more than a sapling, yet it was growing as he watched, its limbs thickening as they reached for the sky. Wary, he circled the smooth white trunk until he came to the face. Red eyes looked at him. Fierce eyes they were, yet glad to see him. The weirwood had his brother's face. Had his brother always had three eyes?

Not always, came the silent shout. Not before the crow.

This is acok, also in acok Arya may speak to adwd+ Bran but it's not as obvious as Jons

1 hour ago, kissdbyfire said:

Shireen burning will be sooooooooo hard to read…

Yeah I guess. I don't think anything can top Ramsay's wedding night, but maybe.

Thing is tho if it's not about a pov it's not gonna hit that hard. I like Shireen, sure. But if it was like Arya or Sansa? Another RW calamity for a Pov? That's what I don't wanna see. (But I also don't think it's coming, where I do for Shireen... Eventually something will come though, I don't think twow but I also don't think Tyrion Arya and Dany will survive the series, so that kinda sucks. But maybe not, if the character gets a good ending and send off maybe it'll be worth it)

48 minutes ago, Ser Arthurs Dawn said:

You're going to hell for this

Just add it to the list

23 minutes ago, Craving Peaches said:

I don't think at the time Stannis knowingly killed Renly, because the logistics don't add up.

But definitely agree with the Edric. Especially since Mel saved Edric which the only reason for would be to soften Stannis up for the real prize. Shireen

2 minutes ago, Hugorfonics said:

The tree was slender compared to other weirwoods he had seen, no more than a sapling, yet it was growing as he watched, its limbs thickening as they reached for the sky. Wary, he circled the smooth white trunk until he came to the face. Red eyes looked at him. Fierce eyes they were, yet glad to see him. The weirwood had his brother's face. Had his brother always had three eyes? Not always, came the silent shout.

Not before the crow.

This is acok, also in acok Arya may speak to adwd+ Bran but it's not as obvious as Jons

There’s no time travel there imo. Bran & co are in the crypts and he reaches out to dreams of Jon/Ghost while in Summer. 

ACoK, Bran VII

"The wolf ate," Jojen said. "Not you. Take care, Bran. Remember who you are."

He remembered who he was all too well; Bran the boy, Bran the broken. Better Bran the beastling. Was it any wonder he would sooner dream his Summer dreams, his wolf dreams? Here in the chill damp darkness of the tomb his third eye had finally opened. He could reach Summer whenever he wanted, and once he had even touched Ghost and talked to Jon. Though maybe he had only dreamed that. He could not understand why Jojen was always trying to pull him back now. Bran used the strength of his arms to squirm to a sitting position. "I have to tell Osha what I saw. Is she here? Where did she go?"

1 minute ago, kissdbyfire said:

For the record, now that Stannis is in Old Gods territory and after he witnesses certain things early on in TWoW, he may be a lot less keen on burning anyone. 

Opting instead for having their entrails removed, and hung up as an offering to the Old Gods.

3 minutes ago, kissdbyfire said:

There’s no time travel there imo. Bran & co are in the crypts and he reaches out to dreams of Jon/Ghost while in Summer. 

ACoK, Bran VII

"The wolf ate," Jojen said. "Not you. Take care, Bran. Remember who you are."

He remembered who he was all too well; Bran the boy, Bran the broken. Better Bran the beastling. Was it any wonder he would sooner dream his Summer dreams, his wolf dreams? Here in the chill damp darkness of the tomb his third eye had finally opened. He could reach Summer whenever he wanted, and once he had even touched Ghost and talked to Jon. Though maybe he had only dreamed that. He could not understand why Jojen was always trying to pull him back now. Bran used the strength of his arms to squirm to a sitting position. "I have to tell Osha what I saw. Is she here? Where did she go?"

Word, for sure.

But isn't this before the crow?

33 minutes ago, kissdbyfire said:

Idk.. I agree Selyse is a religious fanatic, but I can see the burning of Shireen being a big issue for her. She's another minor character that D&D misunderstood and they made her staunch religious beliefs her entire personality. (Mostly because D&D hate religion and used any opportunity to fully demonize it with an evil character that they really didn't bother to study.) In the books Selyse is very political and doesn't seem to carry any feelings of resentment towards Shireen. At most, she might be indifferent. But regardless of her own personal feelings towards her daughter, she fully acknowledges that she is Stannis' heir and wishes to protect her because of that.

"Eastwatch is not safe." The queen put a hand on her daughter's shoulder. "This is the king's true heir. Shireen will one day sit the Iron Throne and rule the Seven Kingdoms. She must be kept from harm, and Eastwatch is where the attack will come" -ADWD Jon IX

"That brought Wun Wun lurching to his feet. The queen grabbed hold of Princess Shireen and pulled her back, her knights reached for their swords, and Patchface reeled away in alarm, lost his footing, and plopped down on his arse in a snowdrift." -ADWD Jon IX

She also gets pissed at Maester Cressen's suggestion of sending Shireen away. Selyse has zero problem challenging her husband, and she might challenge him about burning Shireen. Shireen is his only heir, and I think Selyse will be the one to try and stress that to him. If she is there to do so.

27 minutes ago, SeanF said:

I've got another worry, now that I remember.

Jeyne Poole is unmasked, and no one believes that she was coerced into pretending to be Arya.  So, Stannis burns her for treason.

I’ll be mad at GRRM for that. Jeyne has suffered way too much for such a. Minor character. She either needs to marry Theon at the end or become Lady of the Dreadfort after the Boltons are exterminated

Archived