Succession final season (spoilers)

Mark Antony

12 hours ago, Chataya de Fleury said:

I just want a spin off show with Gerri, Karl, and Frank :rofl:

Karl really got his moment to shine with his words to Tom, which I think he'd been thinking about since at least the Boar on the Floor incident.  

Predictions: I think we get a real Lear and all the kids die, probably in a helicopter or PJ incident (not the pj's!)

Edited by Larry of the Lake

4 minutes ago, Larry of the Lake said:

Karl really got his moment to shine with his words to Tom, which I think he'd been thinking about since at least the Boar on the Floor incident.  

Predictions: I think we get a real Lear and all the kids die, probably in a helicopter or PJ incident (not the pj's!)

That was the best. What did he say about Tom - a bumbling interloper? 

Spoiler

I loved how the "King is Dead" motif throughout the episode, especially how Marcia immediately assumes authority and control over the "royal household". Rough for Kerry. Maybe not undeserved. 

I'm not sure about Kendall. I think he may have it. Maybe it's just Strong's performance rubbing off, but he seems to be thinking clearly for the first time we've seen. Not sure that means he "wins" but... maybe he will? 

Connor is totally going to be a spoiler. But I loved seeing Stephen Root again as everyone should. 

I don't know where Shiv goes now from here. She certainly thinks she's the smartest and the best, but she is not a strategic thinker. 

As for Tom and by extension Greg, unclear. Greg is a survivor... though he seems like he was auditioning for Court Jester for Dowager Queen Marcia. Tom may be fucked. But there's that baby... in any case, he didn't seem to have come up with any backup post-Logan plan. 

12 hours ago, Chataya de Fleury said:

I just want a spin off show with Gerri, Karl, and Frank :rofl:

I would watch this. Their little kitchen conversation was great. 

22 hours ago, Larry of the Lake said:

Oh dear, it worked so well with Dynasty at the time...

On 4/17/2023 at 11:10 PM, Ran said:

The way I reason it is that there was nothing that happened in the last 18 months that would make him decide that Kendall could ever run the empire.

Season 2 finale, Logan tells Ken he could be good and take over, if he actually were a killer, which he is not. Then Kendall, ordered to take one for the team, goes on national TV and directly accuses his father. Didn't even Logan acknowledge that Kendall acted as Logan would and might have a bit of a killer instinct? And eventually Logan decides that indeed Kendall is the better choice available and (sloppily) underlines his name. Still, I suppose it's with dealing with Maatson and the "old guard" and board meetings that we'll see if Kendall is worth anything really - because his killer instincts were there for a few days and then he fell once again for his self-aggrandizing pity bullshit.

Tom's takedown by Karl was great, but all 3 kids deserve one - and a bigger one than what Tom said about them, however true. But I suppose Logan himself did a lot of that in earlier seasons, and the kids did it to each other from time to time.

Whatever, great acting all around. They really nailed it with this season.

23 hours ago, Larry of the Lake said:

we get a real Lear and all the kids die, probably in a helicopter PJ incident

Would that be ... a Lear PJ?

Who is Albany, who is Edgar, and who is Kent?

Spoiler

Could Connor possibly be one of them since he's not really in the family at all?  OTOH, the court jester is Edgar and if Greg is the jester ... ?

That's what always impressed me about Lear -- that Shakespeare dared to write a work in which nobody is any good, and certainly not bright. 

Spoiler

Ya, Lear evidently was before his dotage relentless and brave enough to make a kingdom, but too stupid to preserve it.  The sisters and their spouses are stupid.  And Cordelia, good lordessa, one stupid decision after another, when if she'd done it smart she could have avoided the entire tragedy mess. Do we believe tv could be that brave?

Edited by Zorral

Alexander Skarsgård is starting to look more like his father now that he's getting more wrinkles. He's so good as Matsson. His tipping off Shiv that the brothers tried to tank the deal but he undercut them with a deal raise delivered to the board (through Frank) so they can't hide it was pretty interesting.

The Shiv-Tom interaction is fascinating.

Every time Greg is on the screen, I cringe so hard. Does he literally believe himself when he says that quad squad, blood is thicker than water bullshit, or is he simply trying to will it into reality by main force?

Edited by Ran

Spoiler

Gotta love seeing Roman and Kendall in their element, aka completely fucking up and failing to tank a deal they had no interest in AND getting a better pay in the end. Truly wonderful business acumen there, though that may have been slightly due to Shiv. Slightly.

According to wikipedia tonight's episode is called "Living+" Heres hoping we get Brian Cox back as Logan's Westworld robot. They uploaded scans of his brain to it, but it just stands there repeating "fuck off." 

23 hours ago, RumHam said:

According to wikipedia tonight's episode is called "Living+" Heres hoping we get Brian Cox back as Logan's Westworld robot. They uploaded scans of his brain to it, but it just stands there repeating "fuck off." 

Well, you were kind of right. Good to see Cox again, think there will be another scene with him. 

As for Living +... The satire on Succession is absolutely next level. 

Edited by Relic

The crowning sequence in the “a weak monarch in a dangerous interregnum” scene --  from ep. 6, “Living”, in the “a weak monarch in a dangerous interregnum” scene,

Spoiler

may be in the beats in which Roman tells Kendall he fired Gerri, and Kendall’s bipolar – manic, should we null that or – hey! Let’s fire everybody! – during which each of their attention is instantly diverted to sugary, salty snax in a vending machine.  Little kids, mean, not even bright, little kids, with attention deficit disorder, nothing tells us this more clearly, and done w/o a word. This is the sort of thing that Succession has brought into the final season, doing it brilliantly, unlike any tv I can think of, other than – oooo, big, BIG shoes!

This is a terrific pairing with the childish Tom&Shiv vampires-as-billionaires bitey game.

4 hours ago, sifth said:

For a bunch of billionaires, the characters on this show seem to dress very ugly. Is this suppose to be a running gag? 

Not a gag, but commentary on how insulated in their unspeakably obscene wealth these bubble heads are from everything that functional human beings deal with.

Edited by Zorral

I really liked Skargard in David Simon's Generation Kill, but i havent enjoyed him since then. I think he's badly miscast as a genius in this show. It's really my only complaint about this season, and this show in general. Other than it ending early (was really hoping for 5 seasons). 

I've liked Skarsgård in a number of roles. True Blood (at least in the first couple of seasons), Big Little LiesThe Northman...

I think he's quite good on the show as Matsson. His erratic weirdness is mirrored in some actual tech billionaire types right now.

Also, I don't know what role he has had in advising the writers on Swedish cultural matters, but the episode where he calls up Roman (IIRC) in the middle of the night and is drinking julmust and binging Bilar foam candies was perfection. I don't think it's even supposed to be Christmas at the time the episode, given that the Norwegian corporate retreat is not covered in snow? Which means he stocks up on it during the holidays just to have a year-round supply on hand. 

Edited by Ran