Could the UK survive an Invasion by the Others?

Craving Peaches

No.

Not because of how powerful the Others are or what sort of effect modern technology might or might not have on them, nor even because of disagreement on how to handle them, but rather because a large proportion of the public and the Parliament would deny the Others' very existence despite all evidence to the contrary.

8 minutes ago, Many-Faced Votary said:

If incompetence is key to defending against the Others, perhaps Cersei should remain in power in King's Landing!

Spoiler

I don't know whether to class it as incompetence or not, I think the reason they do it is not because the roads are necessarily in bad condition, but so they can spend as much as possible in order to avoid getting a smaller budget next year. If you live there you notice a sudden glut of roadworks shortly before the end of the financial year.

4 minutes ago, Craving Peaches said:
  Reveal hidden contents

I don't know whether to class it as incompetence or not, I think the reason they do it is not because the roads are necessarily in bad condition, but so they can spend as much as possible in order to avoid getting a smaller budget next year. If you live there you notice a sudden glut of roadworks shortly before the end of the financial year.

Spoiler

That makes it significantly worse. :(

I am sure there could be much better uses for that money for worthier causes. In particular, they could combat homelessness and poverty. Government-subsidized housing, public funding for soup kitchens; any number of things.

Even these road projects could be better applied to neighborhoods where money isn't usually spent, as I doubt the entire city has up-to-date and fully repaired roads!

14 minutes ago, Many-Faced Votary said:
  Hide contents

That makes it significantly worse. :(

I am sure there could be much better uses for that money for worthier causes. In particular, they could combat homelessness and poverty. Government-subsidized housing, public funding for soup kitchens; any number of things.

Even these road projects could be better applied to neighborhoods where money isn't usually spent, as I doubt the entire city has up-to-date and fully repaired roads!

Spoiler

Yes I don't know why they spend it on roadworks when they could be spending it on this like grit on the roads, maintaining parks, improving public transport, giving more money for schools and so on. It's not like everything else is tip top so the only thing they can spend it on is roadworks. If the UK government is any example, I would suspect it is because they can give the contracts to do road works to their friends...

No one would have believed
At the beginning of the twenty first century
That human affairs were being watched from the timeless arctic wastes
No one could have dreamed that we were being scrutinized
As someone with a microscope studies creatures that swarm and multiply in a drop of water
Few men even considered the possibility of intelligent, non-human life
And yet, across the gulf of ocean
Minds immeasurably superior to ours
Regarded this Earth with envious eyes
And slowly and surely, they drew their plans against us

Archived