Brains! Brains! Brains!

kissdbyfire

Just now, LongRider said:

Have you ever looked up chickpea flour recipes? Lots of various things to make with chickpea flour.

Yes! I love it, but somehow never came across the pancake option. Will definitely try it. :)

1 minute ago, kissdbyfire said:

Yes! I love it, but somehow never came across the pancake option. Will definitely try it. :)

The first recipe I saw was actually a vegan pancake recipe which I modified for my taste.  I read up on chickpeas and they are a pulse that has been around for thousands of years.  Pretty cool!

4 minutes ago, LongRider said:

The first recipe I saw was actually a vegan pancake recipe which I modified for my taste.  I read up on chickpeas and they are a pulse that has been around for thousands of years.  Pretty cool!

I love chickpeas... as a salad, the flour is wonderful, then there's houmous and falafel... hmmmmm. Getting hungry! 

Just now, Craving Peaches said:

I'm hungry too...though I'm about to have Haggis, Neeps and Tatties :P

And I just lost my appetite! :rofl:

I don't have a proper reaction to use so, here, for the haggis: :uhoh:

Although this one looks good:

https://thepeskyvegan.com/recipes/vegan-haggis/

I like neeps and tatties! :D

Just now, kissdbyfire said:

I don't have a proper reaction to use so, here, for the haggis: :uhoh:

Don't worry, it's not the very traditional haggis. It is basically mince with oats. No boiled sheep stomach in sight!

I've tried the vegetarian/vegan version and it's okay but if you've already had the meat one it's not really the same...

Used to have them both at home for Burn's Night but today I just have one in a ready meal with the turnip and potato.

10 hours ago, kissdbyfire said:

Sounds delicious, I'm adding it to my 'to try' list. I'm partial to banana oatmeal pancakes, drowing in maple syrup... :drool:

So delightful! Oatmeal offers a delightful consistency to pancakes, and you can never go wrong with bananas or real maple syrup.

Goodness, these assorted pancakes and delicious versatile flours are making me hungry. :drool:

Same here. My mum says I was born vegetarian; not sure if it's true but I repeat it whenever I'm asked about it b/c I like the idea. She swears by it btw... :dunno:

8 hours ago, Curled Finger said:

That's quite funny.  I think much the same.  Just never had the taste for flesh, but my mom wasn't so keen about it.  I took advantage of a most embarrassing dinner table moment when I was 10 to dramatically leave the table and swear off meat.  She let it slide because she knew I was really embarrassed.  All these years later I am still not over it!    For all it's worth, Dear, I think you can be born this way.  I certainly think I was.  

Another club I would love to join! I could never eat meat or seafood, and it didn't take me long to refuse animal products outright. (Save for dairy, which I renounced later.)

We can certainly be born this way! Not just human people; our canine friends as well, apparently. My mom had a dog in her childhood who refused to ever eat meat.

There are many excellent substitutes nowadays, making it easier for those who want to go vegetarian/vegan but like the tastes and smells of meat, poultry, etc. I can't stand either, so always steer clear of vegan products that claim to taste "exactly like chicken!" (or meat or bacon or whatever). 

I've found some vegan 'cheeses' that I quite like, although I was never a cheese connoisseur... My greatest difficulty when upgrading from vegetarianism to veganism was chocolate... something I used to consume daily and in huge quantities! I've adapted and now satisfy my sweet tooth with an increased consumtion of pancakes (and other things, of course)!

And on dairy products... (non-vegans, do not read)

Reveal hidden contents

I myself dislike both the smell and the taste of meat! The smell of spices can be nice, but the meat itself ruins it; and the taste is *shudder*. I'd rather my vegan meat be focused on flavor in its own right and on texture, hence my preferences.

Oh, chocolate is something I miss as well! But I forced myself to curb my sweet tooth and limit my intake of such treats before upgrading fully to veganism, so it could have been worse. And, yes, fresh, whole foods like pancakes are a lot more healthful and customizable anyway!

Regarding dairy:

Spoiler

I couldn't have put it better myself.

It is truly sickening to realize how dairy is extracted, and ruthlessly combined with the meat industry in the name of efficiency. The way the animals are treated, with the full backing of governments due to unchecked lobbying... :crying:

Never mind the contributions to climate change and the fact that meat and dairy production are literally unsustainable. Just a truly evil industry.

8 hours ago, Curled Finger said:

We're going to have to sit with you when Winds publication is announced.

How lovely! I look forward to it, and shall bring the snacks. ^_^

How do vegan bruschetta, cauliflower wings with spicy sauce, and pfeffernüsse cookies sound? I'm thinking amaretto sours with an orange base alongside it (cocktail or mocktail). 

11 minutes ago, Many-Faced Votary said:

How do vegan bruschetta, cauliflower wings with spicy sauce, and pfeffernüsse cookies sound? I'm thinking amaretto sours with an orange base alongside it (cocktail or mocktail). 

:drool: :drool: :drool: 

Have you tried avocado wings? Yummmm :drool:

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/26/2023 at 4:24 AM, kissdbyfire said:

Maybe there was enough moonlight when Waymar was wightified to make his "pupil" shine bright blue, even though it wasn't a full moon and they're in the thick of the wood with trees surrounding them. 

I think Waymar’s burning blue eye is actually fixed on the pommel of the hilt on his broken sword. It’s one of the 3 sapphires; blue, deeper and bluer than any human eyes, a blue that burned like ice. It captures the light of the moon.

The Other halted. Will saw its eyes; blue, deeper and bluer than any human eyes, a blue that burned like ice. They fixed on the longsword trembling on high, watched the moonlight running cold along the metal. For a heartbeat he dared to hope.(AGOT, Prologue)

Will was holding the hilt of the broken sword, pommel up, in his own line of sight. It blocked his vision, such that, the sapphire in the pommel covered Waymar’s one good eye. Will closed his eyes too soon to figure it out.

P. S. It’s the gems on the guard that give the halting Other its’ eyes

3 hours ago, Nadden said:

I think Waymar’s burning blue eye is actually fixed on the pommel of the hilt on his broken sword. It’s one of the 3 sapphires; blue, deeper and bluer than any human eyes, a blue that burned like ice. It captures the light of the moon.

Will was holding the hilt of the broken sword, pommel up, in his own line of sight. It blocked his vision, such that, the sapphire in the pommel covered Waymar’s one good eye. Will closed his eyes too soon to figure it out.

P. S. It’s the gems on the guard that give the halting Other its’ eyes

There’s no light of the moon here - or any other source of light, for that matter,

how to explain Othor's eyes shining w/ "icy blue radiance" in total darkness?

AGoT, Jon VII

Suddenly he heard the shriek of Mormont's raven. "Corn," the bird was screaming. "Corn, corn, corn, corn, corn, corn." Ghost bounded ahead, and Jon came scrambling after. The door to Mormont's solar was wide open. The direwolf plunged through. Jon stopped in the doorway, blade in hand, giving his eyes a moment to adjust. Heavy drapes had been pulled across the windows, and the darkness was black as ink. "Who's there?" he called out.

Then he saw it, a shadow in the shadows, sliding toward the inner door that led to Mormont's sleeping cell, a man-shape all in black, cloaked and hooded … but beneath the hood, its eyes shone with an icy blue radiance …

On 2/25/2023 at 9:52 PM, Many-Faced Votary said:

This is the happiest day of my life. :wub:

There's nothing like a good pancake in the morning! (Or afternoon, or evening, or any other time. :laugh:) Lemon poppyseed pancakes with cherry syrup are so much tastier than brains, even if we might miss out on those lovely prions.

You had me at "lemon poppyseed". So so good!

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/6/2023 at 11:43 PM, kissdbyfire said:

There’s no light of the moon here - or any other source of light, for that matter,

how to explain Othor's eyes shining w/ "icy blue radiance" in total darkness?

Your right the two scenes are different 

I don't think George was being super intentional with the biologics of optics when he wrote that passage; but it is undoubtedly true that the wights act as sort of a hivemind. It doesn't seem like they have much individual control, otherwise we could expect settlements and full lives from them. Death and ice are closely associated, much like blood and fire: maybe the blue eyes are like red weirwood eyes, connecting to a primordial network of consciousness. I really hope we dive into the collective consciousness implications of Bran/weirwoods and the wights/Others. 

Archived