US Politics: They're Gunnin' 4 Us

Zorral

2 hours ago, ants said:

Um, did you mean to quote me there? 

Edit: Oh, got it. I did the confused emoji to your post. Yes, I thought your comment was a bit odd. All over the shop, not responding to the thread discussion. Very rambling. You admire and love him while thinking he's a murderer. 

To be honest, I did think about asking RU OK? Because the post was a bit concerning. 

You don't understand Jace, do you.

Let me, in my official capacity as Jace explainer and ambassador, explain it to you.

You know, there are lot of those serial groupies out there. The girls and women, who wrote love letters to Ted Bundy, or Charles Manson. I don't fully understand those ladies, but I assume it's a mixture between fame/notoriety and a certain idea of masculinity.

Jace is ofc not writing to serial killers. Childish nonsense for her. She instead writes those love letters to Obama asking about the gory details of drone strikes on foreign soil. If you are confused now, I can assure you, Barry's reaction to those letters are more so.

I am not good at Obama impersonations, however I will give it a try.

Eh...Michelle and I, eh,... agree that you raise an important point here...and communicating is an important aspect of a healthy Democracy. However eh... We'd appreciate...if you'd refrain from sending us... anymore letters in the future.

I was lead to believe that was the end of the open communication between Jace and the Obamas.

17 minutes ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

You don't understand Jace, do you.

Let me, in my official capacity as Jace explainer and ambassador, explain it to you.

You know, there are lot of those serial groupies out there. The girls and women, who wrote love letters to Ted Bundy, or Charles Manson. I don't fully understand those ladies, but I assume it's a mixture between fame/notoriety and a certain idea of masculinity.

Jace is ofc not writing to serial killers. Childish nonsense for her. She instead writes those love letters to Obama asking about the gory details of drone strikes on foreign soil. If you are confused now, I can assure you, Barry's reaction to those letters are more so.

I am not good at Obama impersonations, however I will give it a try.

Eh...Michelle and I, eh,... agree that you raise an important point here...and communicating is an important aspect of a healthy Democracy. However eh... We'd appreciate...if you'd refrain from sending us... anymore letters in the future.

I was lead to believe that was the end of the open communication between Jace and the Obamas.

Alas, I have grown quite...

Wheaaary 

I fear I must retiah ... 

Spoiler

If you still doubt that I'm a genius, however illiteratus. Note the exact minute and second I copied ^this^ over. 

Don't worry Jace, even though we might not be currently (at this specific moment) droning striking innocent people and never-tried-in-court US citizens abroad, we are now using domestic terrorism charges against protestors and environmental activists.  

https://www.wabe.org/domestic-terrorism-charges-rare-in-dekalb-county/

Question: How really, really, REALLY STUPID can our powers who pee on the rest of us get????????

Answer: MORE STUPID ALL THE TIME.

Particularly the clowns w/o brains or experience or any qualifications to be governing anything, like, o say, Our Mayor Thank You \NY Democratic Party, Eric Adams.

NYC mayor wants people to remove masks when entering businesses in push to reduce thefts

https://nordot.app/1005577909412921344?c=592622757532812385

Let me translate that for you all -- "You wearing masks to protect yourselves from covid, flu, and all the other yucky stuff out there is interfering with us getting all your faces in our surveillance camera push to have all your faces in our databases."  There's a massive fight going on about this about patrons entering Madiso Square Garden are to be photographed -- all of them -- and those running the Garden say No Frakin' Way.

Adams said Monday that the city is now calling on shop owners to forbid patrons into their stores if they have a mask on, but he did not say exactly how they should go about doing that, or what they should do in the event of inevitable confrontations.

Adams did note, though, that forcing shoppers to remove masks in stores is aimed at capturing their likeness on film in the event of a crime taking place. ....

Edited by Zorral

6 minutes ago, Larry of the Lake said:

Some pretty disgusting anti-trans, anti-lbtq legislation proposed in Florida.

A particularly atrocious example here:

This from the party of small government that wants to protect individual liberties and let parents raise their children without the interference of the state.  

NPR has had a section this week on Republicans lamenting what their party is going to. The conclusion is that the Republican party is clearly not the party of small government, nor do they want to protect individual liberties. Their party is the party of using government power to enforce social values they desire. Their party is also likely the party of isolationism and withdrawing from the world. This is one of those shifts that @DMC likes to point out - at this point the Democratic party is significantly more about individual liberties and foreign policy and budgeted government and are closer on policies to what the Reagan republicans were like in the 80s than the current Republicans are. It's probably not useful other than an exercise in historical value shifts to keep pointing this out.

11 minutes ago, Kalnestk Oblast said:

NPR has had a section this week on Republicans lamenting what their party is going to. The conclusion is that the Republican party is clearly not the party of small government, nor do they want to protect individual liberties. Their party is the party of using government power to enforce social values they desire. Their party is also likely the party of isolationism and withdrawing from the world. This is one of those shifts that @DMC likes to point out - at this point the Democratic party is significantly more about individual liberties and foreign policy and budgeted government and are closer on policies to what the Reagan republicans were like in the 80s than the current Republicans are. It's probably not useful other than an exercise in historical value shifts to keep pointing this out.

Absolutely.  I'm sure pointing out GOP hypocrisy ( though a remarkably effective Kal bait) is a pretty useless rhetorical device if I were attempting to change the hearts and minds of a slavering MAGA horde.  

On the other hand, there are millions of people who vote who are largely uninformed or understandably ignorant of politics, who are unaware of this shift.  There are also a couple people who on this forum who have talked about how they've mostly voted republican their entire lives but have changed their voting patterns recently.  I have people in my family who have done the same thing.  

But yes, it's probably a poor strategy for debating Ben Shapiro.

Another fascinating shift for me is that Reagan and GHWB were both heavily in favor of more legalized immigration and making it easier to get into the US. Even W was wanting more possibilities for Mexican and other hispanic immigrants. I don't honestly remember what the Dem view of immigration was back in the 80s and 90s, but I suspect that's another one that has heavily switched parties.

Even W was wanting more possibilities for Mexican and other hispanic immigrants. I don't honestly remember what the Dem view of immigration was back in the 80s and 90s, but I suspect that's another one that has heavily switched parties.

W wanted the political advantage. So that he could beat the Democrats and do things like destroy Social Security. And that's where the rubber hit the road on the issue with the right-wing crazies revolting.

You don't remember what the Democrats position was because it wasn't polarized. It's like vaccines. Both parties were 100 percent behind vaccines in previous ages. And it was such a boring issue of utter agreement of course it never came up.

21 hours ago, Kalnestk Oblast said:

I don't honestly remember what the Dem view of immigration was back in the 80s and 90s, but I suspect that's another one that has heavily switched parties.

I dunno about that switched parties bit.

Mario Cuomo, Paul Wellstone. Reverands Jackson and Sharpton, Ted Kennedy, Governor Jerry Brown. These were all champions for that phrase- "Give us your poor huddled masses......."

Particularly Rev. Jackson, he was at his zenith bringing down the house with impassioned speeches at 80's DNC advocating for the working poor which im sure included immigrants in his mind.

He famously chided the audiences to not forget the maids and hired help who made such conventions possible.

You should go back and watch some of the speeches those guys gave in the 80's, Coumo and Jackson were both great orators.

We were the party of David, Reaganites worshipped the Goliaths of the world.

Listen to this amazing exerpt from Jackson speech at the 88 DNC, heavy advocasy for the working poor.

https://youtu.be/1BIRO23utBc

Edited by DireWolfSpirit

3 hours ago, Kalnestk Oblast said:

Another fascinating shift for me is that Reagan and GHWB were both heavily in favor of more legalized immigration and making it easier to get into the US. Even W was wanting more possibilities for Mexican and other hispanic immigrants. I don't honestly remember what the Dem view of immigration was back in the 80s and 90s, but I suspect that's another one that has heavily switched parties.

even W was closer to the current mainstream Dem immigration policy than to whatever the GOP is gunning for

Our Department of "Justice" is a fucking joke :

https://www.reuters.com/legal/government/us-justice-dept-takes-hard-line-sentencing-reform-2023-03-07/

Doubling down in the idea that if you have been acquitted of a crime, it can still be used to argue for harsher sentencing on a smaller crime you were convicted of.  How is this shit legal?

42 minutes ago, Larry of the Lake said:

Our Department of "Justice" is a fucking joke :

https://www.reuters.com/legal/government/us-justice-dept-takes-hard-line-sentencing-reform-2023-03-07/

Doubling down in the idea that if you have been acquitted of a crime, it can still be used to argue for harsher sentencing on a smaller crime you were convicted of.  How is this shit legal?

As long as the primary goal is to punish and not rehabilitate people, things like this will continue to happen.

There is absolutely no need to exonerate W because of how godawful Trump is. They both belong in prison for life, they both are embarrassments, they both did terrible things to the country, humans living across the planet, and…cue those 3 classic conservatives left, they have the top 2 pro-rated spikes in the deficit in US history. If we survive them and the damage they’ve done, it will be a miracle. Those of us they didn’t kill one way or another, I mean. 

14 minutes ago, James Arryn said:

There is absolutely no need to exonerate W because of how godawful Trump is.

??  Is this about him getting good press from the PEPFAR 20th anniversary?  Because while I totally agree that Dubya was a terrible president and a war criminal, PEPFAR has been an incredible program and the US should be proud of what it has accomplished.  It is one of the biggest successes of the US government this century. 

Edited by Maithanet

40 minutes ago, James Arryn said:

…cue those 3 classic conservatives left, they have the top 2 pro-rated spikes in the deficit in US history.

A trend thier heroes Reagan and Nixon started.

The playbook, cut taxes, have the party and stick the unlucky to follow Dem with the bill of either a spiral of debt or inflation. 

How this country has continually fell for it is the joke.

The American public that keeps electing Republicans (in large part because they greedily think they transactionally benefit from not paying for the nuclear subs, paved roads and latest tech combat aircraft they crave) still hasnt done the calculus that a deficit is none other than a hidden tax and worse yet a tax accruing interest. Its a bad deal yet we keep signing up for it.

Prey to our own craven prejudices, thats what a vote for a Republican embodies.