US Politics: They're Gunnin' 4 Us

Zorral

2 hours ago, Chataya de Fleury said:

@Wilbur - good thinking.

Your friend’s daughter should absolutely make Senior and maybe Manager at the Big 4, but it’s generally value-added to leave after that.

I make more money than some Big 4 audit partners (I used to do their tax returns, on a tax rotation). So, it’s really not all that remunerative, and they can barely invest in anything due to the independence rules.

Just as an aside, I've heard the compensation gap is one of the reasons why EY's Everest is on life support.  The audit folks want a lot more value to give up their share of the consulting.

Trump and GOP attempt to reverse course on mail-in voting ahead of 2024

https://www.cnn.com/2023/03/15/politics/trump-republicans-mail-in-voting/index.html

Trump, now waging his third White House bid, told attendees at the Conservative Political Action Conference earlier this month that it’s time to “change our thinking” on early and mail-in voting. And in speeches and fundraising emails, he’s touting his campaign’s plans to encourage “ballot harvesting,” the practice of allowing third parties to collect and turn in other voters’ ballots. His party, he said, has “no choice” but to beat “Democrats at their own game.”

Zuckenberg doing another huge round of employee cuts at Meta, announcing a layoff of 10,000 more employees.

That amounts to roughly 12% of Meta’s workforce and follows the company’s firing of 11,000 employees in November.

Edited by DireWolfSpirit

I understand people are now worried about Credit Suisse, after the Saudis said they aren’t interested in putting more money the bank, as that would put them over 10% thresholds that trigger regulatory complications.

The stock price is down 20% today in NY, to $2.00 a share.

Edited by Fragile Bird

Team Biden decided to jump into the University mess. I can see assorted profit based educational institutions screaming 'entrapment.'

That said, the University situation in Florida is looking downright frightening. How long will it be before DMC is arrested as a subversive and whisked away to a reeducation center?

Biden Admin Is Placing Undercover Federal Agents At Universities. Here’s Why (msn.com)

• The Enforcement Office of Federal Student Aid (FSA) will use undercover officials to monitor colleges and universities for misleading or predatory practices, the Department of Education announced on Tuesday.
  • The officials will identify any “misrepresentations” in several factors advertised to students including “transferability of credits, job placement rates, completion and withdrawal rates, graduates’ future earning potential, career services, the cost of attendance, the amount of federal student aid, and accreditation status.”
  • “We support reasonable practices that hold all institutions accountable for misrepresentations that financially harm students and taxpayers; however, the federal government has a track record of using secret shopper investigations to malign politically unfavored institutions with distorted findings that later result in the need for public correction,” Nicholas Kent, Career Education Colleges and Universities chief policy officer, wrote in response to Tuesday’s announcement.

On 3/14/2023 at 4:33 AM, IheartIheartTesla said:

According to a Daily Show segment, Fox News (this is second hand, since I would never watch F'N myself) thinks SVB failed because it was a 'woke' bank. One of the examples given was the month long DEI initiative they had just before it failed, no idea yet how they connected the dots between the two.

Same way they cried the spill in East Palestine was due to North folk being woke.

Honestly companies can rest easy knowing all they have to avoid substantive criticism and possible legal consequence for their actions is to have one thing conservatives can call woke to all the problems on. Like just having a black Person be in a position of authority.

Edited by Varysblackfyre321

Greg Abbott's taken over the entire public school system of Houston, the TX Dem stronghold.

What this looks like from over here (Europe) about the US is utterly chilling.  Again, the US fascist-nazis crashing US as fast as possible to all out shooting war for control of everything.  US not a good country for your children.

Edited by Zorral

1 hour ago, Zorral said:

Greg Abbott's taken over the entire public school system of Houston, the TX Dem stronghold.

What this looks like from over here (Europe) about the US is utterly chilling.  Again, the US fascist-nazis crashing US as fast as possible to all out shooting war for control of everything.  US not a good country for your children.

Problem is the Houston school district was forced to acknowledge serious issues with the way they were running things, thus providing a measure of justification. Now the burden of improvement rests on the state. Be interesting to see if they can manage that.

40 minutes ago, Larry of the Lake said:

Congratulations to Michigan for repealing "right to work".

Its about damn time. Twas a huge stain on my birth state!

Now Evers needs help from Wisconsin voters to elect a state congress to accomplish the same here in Wisonsin.

Bring back the pride and dignity of Wisconsin craftsmanship.

Florida, Florida...

DeSantis's de-education package gets struck down by the courts...for now, anyhow. No doubt it'll be back in a revamped form before much longer. But for now, DMC shouldn't have to worry about being whisked away by the gestapo.

DeSantis critical race theory ban 'Stop WOKE Act' blocked in Florida schools by appeals court (msn.com)

Afederal appeals court judge blocked the reinstatement of a law backed by Gov. Ron DeSantis (R-FL) that would restrict the incorporation of critical race theory in public schools, leaving in place a lower court's injunction against the measure.

A three-judge panel on the U.S. Court of Appeals for the 11th Circuit declined to lift a lower court order that prevented Florida's public schools and universities from enforcing the so-called Stop WOKE Act, which aims to restrict how public education instructors can discuss certain concepts relating to race, according to a brief order that did not address the merits of the case.

----

This Florida congress-critter is trying to claim he filed this bill by mistake. I doubt most people believe that explanation.

Republican Lawmaker Says He Filed Confederate Flag Legislation 'In Error' (msn.com)

• Florida State Senator Jay Collins says he mistakenly filed an amendment that would allow the flying of the Confederate flag on public buildings and properties.
  • Collins has denied Confederate sympathies and the amendment has been withdrawn.
  • There are concerns similar legislation would prevent the flying of Pride flags from governmental buildings in the state.

5 hours ago, Fragile Bird said:

Now I see Republic Bank assets have been downgraded to junk status and the head of Blackrock predicts this is going to be a slow moving crisis with more bank seizures to come. 

The Masters sold their laborers for slaves. The Communists sold their slaves for levers. 

toi kratistoi 

@ants

"Follow the money?" 

Money follows production. That's what purchasing things is. 

I don't know where you're from, but where I'm from everything says "Made in China" 

Now, I don't wish I were Chinese or anything. Because I'm a peasant in this system. God only knows what I'd be in theirs

But as a recipient (fuck yourV-WORD and all its pathetic social capital misuse of the last decade-or-so) of long-term childhood abuse(s), neglect, and maltreatment by US government Social Services and the legal "Guardian" that had possession of me for a time: I have a pet theory that I'm hardwired to respect strength even if I'm opposed to it. It's why I identify with the villains. 

Meanwhile, have y'all seen this video of this Judge trying to talk at Stanford? It's amaze-balls. I don't know nothin about the Judge. Don't care. What fascinates me is this administrator lady giving, like, a fucking sermon after she usurps the podium. It's rambling, inane, borderline-blubbering and absolutely delightful. She's like trying to lecture a Judge about safe spaces and free speech is what she's after while she's filibustering this dude, all for the performative delight of the children. I haven't even been able to finish it because she just repeats herself every fifteen seconds because she doesn't actually have anything to say other than "These children deserve to feel safe." "I defend free speech, you're here to speak freely." "They don't want you to speak freely because you make them feel unsafe." Repeat, repeat, repeat. In this whiney tenor that no doubt makes the children feel more un-aloner for having no ability to regulate their emotions towards the enhancement of thought or communication of thought. 

I LOVE AMERICA!!!!  :lmao:

Edited by Secretary of Eumenes

In espana as we are, particularly as we are in the south, and especially in Granada, we must recollect Franco's dreadful reign of horrors perpetrated particularly on educators, laborers and intellectuals of every kind, including primary school teachers. You must think as we say, so educators and such had to be publicly shamed, plundered, executed, their property plundered, wives shaved, forbidden work without ability to feed children. This is how to successfully make fascism. These people have studied history hard and carefully. Don't ever say these people aren't fascists. Excuse typos. This is via fony- fone, after wine with faculty at uni de Granada, some of whose families were murdered then.

Edited by Zorral