US Politics: They're Gunnin' 4 Us

Zorral

14 hours ago, Secretary of Eumenes said:

James Comey says what? 

You people amaze me. 

C'mere and kick this football Charlie Brown...

For God's sake when will people learn? I remember being asked by a friend almost a year ago why I wasn't following the latest Trump hearing that was "surely gonna get him this time!" And my dad called me a few days ago asking if I heard the big news that "they're finally gonna get him! even Trump (a notoriously honest man) says he's gonna get arrested."

The fact that so many liberals feel he must be got! Is just a symptom of how liberals are way to used to crying  to authority figures to make bad people disappear. (of course they don't literally vanish which is half the problem) The type of liberals who make up the #resistence! are members of the professional managerial class and a guy like Trump in their workplace would have been fired a long time ago. They are so used to crying to HR, Social media mods, university admin to make bad people go away and sanitize their environment. They just know some authority somewhere must make Trump go away. The trouble in a democracy is that the people can bypass the bureaucratic mandarins and the deplorables still get a vote.

And Trump is right it is a witch-hunt he's not getting arrested  over some bullshit 100k hush money campaign finance violation, but because he's the Emmanuel Goldstein of the Democratic Party. And he probably will get arrested but only in an administrative sense of visiting the police station and then being charged and paying some fine, not getting hauled in away in chains and thrown in a dungeon to appease the mob as both his supporters and detractors imagine. Don't pretend that Trump going to jail for this or that technical administrative crime would be justice, as if everyone howling for him to be locked up cares about these crimes so deeply and just doesn't hate Trump. He always slithers out of whatever jam he's not because he's innocent (which he most surely isn't) but because America is really bad about prosecuting billionaires and the wealthy in general. But like don't pretend the hatred of Trump is cause he committed some minor white collar violations.

You wanna charge Trump with something? Charge him with sedition of which he's surely guilty and be done with it. Don't rely on the administrative state to get him on some technical violations in these pathetic appeals to the competent authorities that are never going to work. 

Preach! 

My god, am IIIIII allowed to accuse him of treason? Because I will. I saw it. I saw him tell people to do treason for months on TV and then they did it for him

PEOPLE DIED!!!!

They TRIED TO HANG THE VEEP

Boasted on Twitter that they were after the Speaker of the House!!!! ON TWITTER! AT HIS BEHEST! THEY -and he, Trump himself- LOOKED DIRECTLY INTO THE CAMERA AND TOLD YOU WHAT THEY WERE DOING. Many, many, times!!!!

I will accuse him. I do. 

Seriously, this drives me up a fucking wall. THE MAN DID A BEER HALL PUTSCH AND THEY'RE GOING AFTER HIS WHORE PAYMENTS!!!!

So are you allowed to attempt to overthrow democracy then as long as you keep your prostitutes paid up right? Because, not a lawyer, from what I understand he's (lol) "in trouble" for the way the payments were RECORDED rather than the payments themselves. It's -literally- a technicality... You can't make this shit up. I don't think I'm even gonna be mad at the Once and Future President when he announces the 4th Reich in about 18 months. 

Seriously, at some point I can't hold this... person... accountable anymore if he is never held to account for his crimes

His REAL on-televison and predeclared crimes!

He's not gonna arrest his fucking self, people! 

/End rant (I needed that, seriously @Darzin) 

2 hours ago, The Anti-Targ said:

Alternatively, they got Al Capone on tax evasion, not for any of the really bad crimes he definitely committed, or was at least an accessory to.

I’ve been assuming Trump will get his comeuppance on the same basis, tax evasion or another tax offense.

Justice for Manchin: Senate Republicans closing in on 2024 recruit
If the popular governor jumps in, Republicans would break their losing streak in recruiting popular governors and reshape next year’s battleground map in one fell swoop.

https://www.politico.com/news/2023/03/24/manchin-senate-republicans-2024-00088620

Elated Senate Republicans believe they are on the cusp of landing their highest-profile recruit of the 2024 campaign: West Virginia Gov. Jim Justice.

Justice, a Democrat-turned-Republican with sky-high approval ratings, is increasingly expected to launch a bid for Sen. Joe Manchin’s (D-W.Va.) seat after consulting with top party officials in Washington this month, according to a half-dozen GOP senators and aides. A Justice candidacy would notch two big wins for Republicans, breaking their losing streak in recruiting popular governors and reshaping next year’s battleground map.

19 minutes ago, Varysblackfyre321 said:

What do you mean by this?

Lol, Republican Governor Justice might run against him.

I’m thinking someone couldn’t resist the headline because Manchin is the Democrat who votes like a Republican. Justice indeed.

21 minutes ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

Meanwhile in Florida.

Yes, they are apparently hellbent on doing a real live version of an old Simpsons episode.

On a policy level if I was a conservative  hellbent on culture war issues this would be obvious evidence for the effectiveness of Desantis on waging them.

Fortunately or unfortunately republicans still seem hellbound to go with trump.

On 3/24/2023 at 6:09 PM, Fragile Bird said:

Lol, Republican Governor Justice might run against him.

I’m thinking someone couldn’t resist the headline because Manchin is the Democrat who votes like a Republican. Justice indeed.

Not really, no. Joe Manchin, whatever you may think of him, votes with his party far more often than not. Lots of people on the left hate him, but he is light years better for the left than any Republican West Virginia would produce.

Saw Lanny Davis - of all people - comment on the possible Trump indictment with Politico.  Since 2008 I've always loathed him (Davis, I mean), and to be clear he is Cohen's lawyer, but he made an argument that's hard to argue with.  Cohen was sentenced to three years for committing a crime that was - without question and demonstrably - on behalf of Trump.  Even if the jurisdiction and/or legal argument is unclear, somebody should prosecute the person actually responsible.  

Will prosecuting Trump lead to his incarceration?  Almost certainly not.  But should he be prosecuted by somebody for that crime?  Certainly, yes.  Saw Maher on Friday night wringing his hands that this will help Trump politically.  Maybe in the primaries, but anyone thinking getting indicted will help in a general election is an idiot.  It will/would undoubtedly hurt him if he gets that far.  We just have to see if Bragg has the balls to go through with it after Trump's fascist threats.

Archived