US Politics: They're Gunnin' 4 Us

Zorral

40 minutes ago, Larry of the Lake said:

Congratulations to Michigan for repealing "right to work".

Its about damn time. Twas a huge stain on my birth state!

Now Evers needs help from Wisconsin voters to elect a state congress to accomplish the same here in Wisonsin.

Bring back the pride and dignity of Wisconsin craftsmanship.

Florida, Florida...

DeSantis's de-education package gets struck down by the courts...for now, anyhow. No doubt it'll be back in a revamped form before much longer. But for now, DMC shouldn't have to worry about being whisked away by the gestapo.

DeSantis critical race theory ban 'Stop WOKE Act' blocked in Florida schools by appeals court (msn.com)

Afederal appeals court judge blocked the reinstatement of a law backed by Gov. Ron DeSantis (R-FL) that would restrict the incorporation of critical race theory in public schools, leaving in place a lower court's injunction against the measure.

A three-judge panel on the U.S. Court of Appeals for the 11th Circuit declined to lift a lower court order that prevented Florida's public schools and universities from enforcing the so-called Stop WOKE Act, which aims to restrict how public education instructors can discuss certain concepts relating to race, according to a brief order that did not address the merits of the case.

----

This Florida congress-critter is trying to claim he filed this bill by mistake. I doubt most people believe that explanation.

Republican Lawmaker Says He Filed Confederate Flag Legislation 'In Error' (msn.com)

• Florida State Senator Jay Collins says he mistakenly filed an amendment that would allow the flying of the Confederate flag on public buildings and properties.
  • Collins has denied Confederate sympathies and the amendment has been withdrawn.
  • There are concerns similar legislation would prevent the flying of Pride flags from governmental buildings in the state.

5 hours ago, Fragile Bird said:

Now I see Republic Bank assets have been downgraded to junk status and the head of Blackrock predicts this is going to be a slow moving crisis with more bank seizures to come. 

The Masters sold their laborers for slaves. The Communists sold their slaves for levers. 

toi kratistoi 

@ants

"Follow the money?" 

Money follows production. That's what purchasing things is. 

I don't know where you're from, but where I'm from everything says "Made in China" 

Now, I don't wish I were Chinese or anything. Because I'm a peasant in this system. God only knows what I'd be in theirs

But as a recipient (fuck yourV-WORD and all its pathetic social capital misuse of the last decade-or-so) of long-term childhood abuse(s), neglect, and maltreatment by US government Social Services and the legal "Guardian" that had possession of me for a time: I have a pet theory that I'm hardwired to respect strength even if I'm opposed to it. It's why I identify with the villains. 

Meanwhile, have y'all seen this video of this Judge trying to talk at Stanford? It's amaze-balls. I don't know nothin about the Judge. Don't care. What fascinates me is this administrator lady giving, like, a fucking sermon after she usurps the podium. It's rambling, inane, borderline-blubbering and absolutely delightful. She's like trying to lecture a Judge about safe spaces and free speech is what she's after while she's filibustering this dude, all for the performative delight of the children. I haven't even been able to finish it because she just repeats herself every fifteen seconds because she doesn't actually have anything to say other than "These children deserve to feel safe." "I defend free speech, you're here to speak freely." "They don't want you to speak freely because you make them feel unsafe." Repeat, repeat, repeat. In this whiney tenor that no doubt makes the children feel more un-aloner for having no ability to regulate their emotions towards the enhancement of thought or communication of thought. 

I LOVE AMERICA!!!!  :lmao:

Edited by Secretary of Eumenes

Posted (edited)

In espana as we are, particularly as we are in the south, and especially in Granada, we must recollect Franco's dreadful reign of horrors perpetrated particularly on educators, laborers and intellectuals of every kind, including primary school teachers. You must think as we say, so educators and such had to be publicly shamed, plundered, executed, their property plundered, wives shaved, forbidden work without ability to feed children. This is how to successfully make fascism. These people have studied history hard and carefully. Don't ever say these people aren't fascists. Excuse typos. This is via fony- fone, after wine with faculty at uni de Granada, some of whose families were murdered then.

Edited by Zorral

When Silicon Valley Libertarians Realized They Needed the Government, and Vice Versa
Despite talk of a breakup, the collapse of tech’s favorite bank has brought them even closer together.

https://www.politico.com/news/magazine/2023/03/18/d-c-silicon-valley-00087611

Libertarian tech investors who had been busy waxing about Washington’s inevitable obsolescence like it was last year’s iPhone suddenly began shouting at Washington to save Silicon Valley.

“Where is Powell? Where is Yellen? Stop this crisis NOW,” investor David Sacks, who led the VC class response on Twitter, demanded last Friday afternoon.

52 minutes ago, Larry of the Lake said:

Congratulations to Minnesota for guaranteeing all students breakfast and lunch without means testing their parents first.  Any state where "school lunch debt" exists should be deeply embarrassed.

Come for the breakfast French toast strips, stay for the popcorn chicken! We can all agree though school lunch pizza is terrible.

I'm curious to see how the legalization of weed goes here. Can't wait to learn how to grow!!!

53 minutes ago, Larry of the Lake said:

Seen on a locked (unable to be linked) Twitter account, alongside the announcement:

"All of the middle aged realtors who just got out of jail going back in"

I wouldn't be so glib. Expect the gun nuts to be frothing. 

I’ve seen numerous commentators talk about the fact arresting Trump will guarantee both his nomination and his election. The anger will stir up his supporters to a fierce boil.

I was also shocked to see stories about his growing support among non-white voters. Apparently he’s so far ahead of his rivals because he’s so far ahead in that category. What the hell do black voters see in Donald Trump????

4 minutes ago, Fragile Bird said:

I’ve seen numerous commentators talk about the fact arresting Trump will guarantee both his nomination and his election. The anger will stir up his supporters to a fierce boil.

I was also shocked to see stories about his growing support among non-white voters. Apparently he’s so far ahead of his rivals because he’s so far ahead in that category. What the hell do black voters see in Donald Trump????

Trump's supporters have always been riled up.  They're always at a fierce boil.  

I can see an argument that getting charged could help trump win the primary.  I really can't see how it could help him in the general.  Now, 2016 showed that if you win the nom, no matter how terrible a candidate you are, it's possible you win the election.  But getting arrested does not help you with swing voters, only with the diehards. And while there aren't a ton of swing voters, there are still some and they do matter.  2022 was a great example of this, since dems lost on turnout, but won on persuasion.

If he does get indicted this week, not sure that he could delay the process to the end of the primaries next year. If convicted, I would think the GOP has enough time to replace him on the ballots.

2 hours ago, Fragile Bird said:

I ain't got all the right school'n 'n such'n to be claiming to be an expert on race, but I do live here. I've been around. I talk to people who don't look like me. 

And the thing that shocks me most about Whitey (Safe, Safe, and Secure Whitey), in this country and apparently in yours as well Madam Bird...

It's like you people think that being from a minority group precludes one from hitting that all-important revolutionary initiation moment. It's a very special moment called: FUCK IT 

2 hours ago, Fragile Bird said:

"They" don't think that Donald and R's LIKE THEM

"They" just fucking hate you people

And frankly, they should. 

:cheers:

2 hours ago, Larry of the Lake said:

Trump's supporters have always been riled up.  They're always at a fierce boil.  

:rofl::lmao:

You think you've seen boiling? Oh my sweet summer child. :blushing: