How likely is it that Littlefinger provoked Brandon

King_Tristifer_IV_Mudd

It is definitely possible but there just isn't really enough evidence to say either way. Also LF was sent away so I don't know how he would be able to get word to Brandon or start any rumours given at this point he was stuck in his paltry holdings in the Fingers. He didn't have resources or access to anyone.

7 minutes ago, Craving Peaches said:

It is definitely possible but there just isn't really enough evidence to say either way. Also LF was sent away so I don't know how he would be able to get word to Brandon or start any rumours given at this point he was stuck in his paltry holdings in the Fingers. He didn't have resources or access to anyone.

Agree. And it's not like Brandon needed provocation... for anything. 

Just now, kissdbyfire said:

Agree. And it's not like Brandon needed provocation... for anything. 

He didn't. But if anyone is provoking him I doubt it will be LF stuck in his crappy tower with no way to spread a rumour, nowhere to spread it and no one apart from servants who never leave the lands to spread it to. Also I am not sure whether at this point he was yet in the mindset of wanting to sow chaos and rise to the top through it, we can infer he wasn't always like that, I think at this point he was still mulling over how his hope of true love had been destroyed and so on.

That would be too convenient to my taste, Littlefinger was supposed to be in the Fingers at the time, and he didn't have any real power or influence before Lysa got him noticed and given positions by Jon Arryn. 

And Brandon Stark didn't need anyone's help to be furious upon hearing about Rhaegar having ran with his sister. 

Just now, Lord Edmure of Riverrun said:

Perhaps he interfered with a message Lyanna sent to Brandon 

How would he have the capacity to do this though? By that point he'd been exiled from the Tully court and was back in his own miserable holdings, which have no maester, no ravens, and like two people. And he wasn't in charge of the customs in Gulltown at this point either. At this time, LF had no influence because he had no wealth and was not in a position of authority at all.

1 minute ago, Craving Peaches said:

How would he have the capacity to do this though? By that point he'd been exiled from the Tully court and was back in his own miserable holdings, which have no maester, no ravens, and like two people. And he wasn't in charge of the customs in Gulltown at this point either. At this time, LF had no influence because he had no wealth and was not in a position of authority at all.

Did he go back to the Vale? Are we sure he didn’t go somewhere else?

1 minute ago, Lord Edmure of Riverrun said:

Did he go back to the Vale? Are we sure he didn’t go somewhere else?

I think it was stated he went back to the Vale. Where else would he go though? He has no money or connections at this point and had just been disgraced. Sounds to me like he went back to his miserable home and spent ages stewing on how unfair his life was and how to get revenge.

7 minutes ago, Craving Peaches said:

I think it was stated he went back to the Vale. Where else would he go though? He has no money or connections at this point and had just been disgraced. Sounds to me like he went back to his miserable home and spent ages stewing on how unfair his life was and how to get revenge.

Yeah. I don't remember it being stated that he went back to the Vale iirc, only that Hoster sent him away. But as you say, where else would he have gone? He was 15, 16, no money, no connections, nothing. 

And there's no need for more "plans within plans"... Brandon had been angered when Rhaegar crowned Lyanna at Harrenhal, then everything else, he had a short temper and was impulsive. It would be kind of silly to have a 15 year old who's a nobody running around plotting and sending messages... I mean, how would he even do that? What does it add to the story? We already know how he feels about that and more... I don't know, feels unnecessary, contrived, and doesn't quite work given what we already know.

24 minutes ago, Terrorthatflapsinthenight9 said:

That would be too convenient to my taste, Littlefinger was supposed to be in the Fingers at the time, and he didn't have any real power or influence before Lysa got him noticed and given positions by Jon Arryn. 

wasn't he on his way to the Vale? and wouldn't that be somewhere in the crossroad inn ?  isn't there somewhere that someone like Brandon would like to hold his bachelor party with his buddies -Elbert , Kyle , Glover and so on?

I'd say if there is one naughty teenage boy who would just like poke a wild wolf by exaggeration, spreading rumors, or whatnot, it would be Little Finger. not that he would have "plans" per se, but rather he'd just like to be annoying. of course, annoying a wild wolf and sending him off to a mad Dragon's nest doesn't end well... not that LF would know or care. but it ends up in a devastating war that ends up with the only person willing to help LF in the capital married to the second most powerful man of the realm. not so bad for LF.  he would learn that being annoying might just pay off! .......... of course, none of that can be proven. BUT it can't be un-proven either! 

2 minutes ago, EggBlue said:

wasn't he on his way to the Vale? and wouldn't that be somewhere in the crossroad inn ?  isn't there somewhere that someone like Brandon would like to hold his bachelor party with his buddies -Elbert , Kyle , Glover and so on?

I'd say if there is one naughty teenage boy who would just like poke a wild wolf by exaggeration, spreading rumors, or whatnot, it would be Little Finger. not that he would have "plans" per se, but rather he'd just like to be annoying. of course, annoying a wild wolf and sending him off to a mad Dragon's nest doesn't end well... not that LF would know or care. but it ends up in a devastating war that ends up with the only person willing to help LF in the capital married to the second most powerful man of the realm. not so bad for LF.  he would learn that being annoying might just pay off! .......... of course, none of that can be proven. BUT it can't be un-proven either! 

Brandon left Riverrun after his 'duel' w/ Littlefinger and never returned. Littlefinger was allowed to stay until he had healed and then sent on his way. Even if the timeline works  - and I'm not sure it does - and Brandon and Littlefinger met somewhere along the way, I'm not sure LF would do anything or even talk to Brandon. But more importantly, I don't think Brandon would listen or believe him. 

Frickin Littlefinger has been telling everyone he's slept with Cat and Lysa for years.  That is the rumor he's been spreading to irk Brandon, Ned, any Stark who might hear it.  He couldn't care less about Lyanna and I'm sure the Rhaegar thing never occurred to him.  He wasn't at Harrenhal, none of the Tullys were. 

5 hours ago, Lord Edmure of Riverrun said:

Perhaps he somehow started the narrative that she was kidnapped. 

He didn't need to start that narrative. Lyanna was kidnapped.

4 hours ago, Lord Edmure of Riverrun said:

Perhaps he interfered with a message Lyanna sent to Brandon 

Why would Brandon agree with his baby sister being Rhaegar's glorified mistress?

Brandon didn't need an excuse to want to see Rhaegar dead, as far as we can tell.

4 hours ago, EggBlue said:

of course, none of that can be proven. BUT it can't be un-proven either

Ditto.

People are acting as if Brandon would be okay if he thought Lyanna had willingly run away with Rhaegar.

But this is the same man who wanted to fight Rhaegar for insulting his sister's honor lol. What makes you believe it'd make any difference?

Littlefinger misleading Brandon simply adds and unnecessary and predictable layer to a perfectly plausible situation.

We have no reason to believe Littlefinger was involved at all.  After Harrenhal, Rhaegar taking Lyanna by force (real or not) would be enough to send Brandon over the edge.  There is no way Lyanna was out alone, so there would be witnesses.  Even the Targaryens say she was taken at sword point.  No message from Lyanna would save the situation.  Her taking was wrongful, period.  We're not in the modern world.

9 hours ago, Nevets said:

We're not in the modern world.

In the modern world is also kidnapping.

In most countries she doesn't get a word because of her gender, in western countries she doesn't get a word because of her age.

Unless you're trying to mix both modern Western morals, in which Lyanna's choice is counted but ignoring the age by saying it's medieval setting.

But that's just funny.

32 minutes ago, frenin said:

In the modern world is also kidnapping.

In most countries she doesn't get a word because of her gender, in western countries she doesn't get a word because of her age.

Unless you're trying to mix both modern Western morals, in which Lyanna's choice is counted but ignoring the age by saying it's medieval setting.

But that's just funny.

I've seen plenty of posts before suggesting she went willingly and that that fact was witheld from Brandon, possibly deliberately.  These posters seem to think that would, or should matter.  I was merely pointing out that it wouldn't.  Whether it would now :dunno:.

On the main matter, I agree with you that Littlefinger had no involvement in raising tensions, or anything else with this event.

Archived