How likely is it that Littlefinger provoked Brandon

King_Tristifer_IV_Mudd

11 minutes ago, Nevets said:

I've seen plenty of posts before suggesting she went willingly and that that fact was witheld from Brandon, possibly deliberately.  These posters seem to think that would, or should matter.  I was merely pointing out that it wouldn't.  Whether it would now :dunno:.

On the main matter, I agree with you that Littlefinger had no involvement in raising tensions, or anything else with this event.

Fair enough.

20 hours ago, Curled Finger said:

Frickin Littlefinger has been telling everyone he's slept with Cat and Lysa for years.  That is the rumor he's been spreading to irk Brandon, Ned, any Stark who might hear it.  He couldn't care less about Lyanna and I'm sure the Rhaegar thing never occurred to him.  He wasn't at Harrenhal, none of the Tullys were. 

I wonder how that rumor never got to the North.

1 hour ago, Angel Eyes said:

I wonder how that rumor never got to the North.

It's frickin Little Finger.  He told who he wanted to know in order to get something.  Could be anything with this guy.  The North is remote and very far away.  Ned may not have been the target.  Brandon, I think is more likely.  Who can argue the lie once Cat is in veritable exile and the challenger is dead a gruesome death?    This jerk eventually does make connections via Lysa through Jon Arryn in Kings Landing and climbs that ladder all the way up to the small council.  This seems to be lost on everyone except the reader.

1 hour ago, astarkchoice said:

Hed have been selective who he told it too.

Robert would fucking kill him if he besmirched his bst pals wife's name.and varys would be itching at a  chance to end his number 1 rival

Or Varys as usual saw a way to use the lie to his advantage...

14 hours ago, astarkchoice said:

Robert would fucking kill him if he besmirched his bst pals wife's name.and varys would be itching at a  chance to end his number 1 rival

He probably would, but in this case it would not get to that; Baratheons don’t generally see much beyond their wounded pride when that pride is wounded. That’s the whole point of other examples like the Laughing Storm Rebellion to give insight into RR; ‘thousands might die? Doesn’t matter, my pride (and literally nothing else) was wounded!’

On 2/26/2023 at 12:17 PM, King_Tristifer_IV_Mudd said:

Perhaps he interfered with a message Lyanna sent to Brandon 

It's possible.  He composed a new letter and disguised it as several grade levels below his by misspelling a few words here and there to make it look like it came from the  younger northern girl.  He had to bring it down to Brandon's Neanderthal reading comprehension.  Brandon took the bait and set off to confront the monarch. 

6 minutes ago, Bowen 747 said:

It's possible.  He composed a new letter and disguised it as several grade levels below his by misspelling a few words here and there to make it look like it came from the  younger northern girl.  He had to bring it down to Brandon's Neanderthal reading comprehension.  Brandon took the bait and set off to confront the monarch. 

So… maybe that’s where I’m going wrong. Cheers, I’ll try to put this tip to good use. 

Archived