Petyr Baelish, the man with a plan

H Wadsworth Longfellow

Littlefinger was humiliated at Riverun.  He was a victim of Hoster's elevated sense of his family's social standing and just perhaps further ambitions.  Petyr and Barbrey have something in common.  They could have been great together.  Barbrey wants revenge.  Petyr wants the same thing and a little more. 

Petyr has achieved wealth but so far has invested none of it in renovating his family's castle.  Wealth is just a means to an end.  To what end?  The destruction of the great houses.  He used Hoster's daughters to bring ruin to the Tullys.  He pushed along the conflict between Lannister and Stark.  The Starks lost.  The Tullys lost Riverun.  His revenge was successful.  He is using Sansa for the next phase of his plan.  To incite war between the Vale and the Lannisters. 

Petyr Baelish is a self-made man.  A man like him rise because of talent rather than their family status.  I could see him working towards a meritocracy.  At least as much meritocracy as he can have in Westeros. 

10 minutes ago, H Wadsworth Longfellow said:

Littlefinger was humiliated at Riverun.  He was a victim of Hoster's elevated sense of his family's social standing and just perhaps further ambitions.  Petyr and Barbrey have something in common.  They could have been great together.  Barbrey wants revenge.  Petyr wants the same thing and a little more. 

Petyr has achieved wealth but so far has invested none of it in renovating his family's castle.  Wealth is just a means to an end.  To what end?  The destruction of the great houses.  He used Hoster's daughters to bring ruin to the Tullys.  He pushed along the conflict between Lannister and Stark.  The Starks lost.  The Tullys lost Riverun.  His revenge was successful.  He is using Sansa for the next phase of his plan.  To incite war between the Vale and the Lannisters. 

Petyr Baelish is a self-made man.  A man like him rise because of talent rather than their family status.  I could see him working towards a meritocracy.  At least as much meritocracy as he can have in Westeros. 

He wasn’t humiliated by Hoster at Riverrun. He lost a duel, a duel he started to win the hand of Cat who was already engaged. Dude is an Westerosi Incel. The rest of what you said is pretty spot on, save for the fact the Starks are still around and their return is inevitable, as are the Tully’s more than likely. Littlefinger is destined to lose, and while he is whiny incel, his ability to scheme is unquestionably GOATED.

Yes, we definitely have another great man in Littlefinger! He is smart, powerful, honourable because his cause is just! He only wants to right the wrongs he’s suffered at the hands of the evil Tullys and the dishonourable Starks! And he will achieve his goals, because “meritocracy”, I guess! After all, everything he has he’s achieved through valid and just means, through his many merits. It would be different if he had achieved his riches and power through deceit, lies, murder, betrayal, scheming, and causing the world to burn around him. But not him, not our dear Petyr the Great, he would never do anything like that; only vile and despicable houses like the Tullys and Starks would do such evil things. /s

9 minutes ago, King_Tristifer_IV_Mudd said:

I didn’t even read the meritocracy part. That’s just a blatant lie. Littlefinger isn’t some working class hero. He’s a petty bitch whos mad because the girl he liked didn’t like him back.

I think he's mad because the whole true love prevails thing didn't work at all. His anger was at Brandon not Catelyn.

15 minutes ago, King_Tristifer_IV_Mudd said:

I didn’t even read the meritocracy part. That’s just a blatant lie. Littlefinger isn’t some working class hero. He’s a petty bitch whos mad because the girl he liked didn’t like him back.

But what about all those working girls? Like Jeyne Poole for example?

31 minutes ago, kissdbyfire said:

Yes, we definitely have another great man in Littlefinger! He is smart, powerful, honourable because his cause is just! He only wants to right the wrongs he’s suffered at the hands of the evil Tullys and the dishonourable Starks! And he will achieve his goals, because “meritocracy”, I guess! After all, everything he has he’s achieved through valid and just means, through his many merits. It would be different if he had achieved his riches and power through deceit, lies, murder, betrayal, scheming, and causing the world to burn around him. But not him, not our dear Petyr the Great, he would never do anything like that; only vile and despicable houses like the Tullys and Starks would do such evil things. /s

You missed gorgeous grey green eyes.  He's got that going for him, too. 

Look, I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt here. I know you can't actually think that Ramsay is a decent man, or that Walder had every right to commit mass murder through breaking one of the few millennia-sacred laws throughout all of Westeros, or stuff like that.

But I hope you realize that Littlefinger is a spiteful, fundamentally selfish, power-hungry, vindicative, callous, evil, perverted, and abusive schemer who cares only about himself no matter the expense to Westeros and everyone in it, least of all the commoners; because I know that this is easier to overlook then the blatant monstrousness of people like Tywin and Ramsay.

1 minute ago, kissdbyfire said:

Why? I mean, when someone shows you who they are, believe them, :dunno:

I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt in the sense that I'm assuming they don't actually believe their defenses of some of the vilest people in the series, offered solely due to their dislike of the Starks and anyone associated with them.

Littlefinger is happy to use his talents to climb the ladder, but he's also entirely happy to kick the ladder away once he's done so. He's not a class hero, he's just out for himself.

I can however see him spinning the "meritocracy" crap when someone comes to him now he's a LP asking for loan. "I pulled myself up by my bootstraps, you can do the same, buddy; no handouts for you". In that way, LF perhaps resembles a modern billionaire more than anything else.

I have to admit I don't hate him as much as I should, because he's witty and his cleverness is at times legitimately impressive. But he is nevertheless a terrible person and I think to assume he's looking out for anyone but himself is a mistake. Maybe, maybe, he cares enough for Sansa to help her out of genuine affection, but it's also entirely possible that he just sees in her something he can use for his own benefit.

Or that he's just straightforwardly grooming her.

Archived