in your opinion, which characters are introverted and which are extroverted?

Cate999910

Introverts: Ned Stark, Jon Snow, Samwell Tarly, Brienne Tarth, Podrick Payne, Sandor Clegane, Roose Bolton, Stannis Baratheon, Tywin Lannister, Davos Seaworth, Quentyn Martell, Doran Martell, Yoren, Alliser Thorne, Victarion Greyjoy, Gendry, probably Willas Tyrell, Jon Connington, Rhaegar Targaryen, Barristan Selmy, Jorah Mormont, Kevan Lannister.

Extroverts: Tyrion Lannister, Bran Stark, Arya Stark, Theon Greyjoy (at the start of books), Robert Baratheon, Renly Baratheon, Mace Tyrell, Genna Lannister, Margaery Tyrell, Myranda Royce, Littlefinger, Asha Greyjoy, Arianne Martell, Oberyn Martell, Salladhor Saan, Young Griff, Tormund, Illyrio Mopatis.

I'm not sure about Sansa, Robb, Catelyn, Daenerys, Jaime, Cersei, Melisandre etc.

11 hours ago, Cate999910 said:

Introverts: Ned Stark, Jon Snow, Samwell Tarly, Brienne Tarth, Podrick Payne, Sandor Clegane, Roose Bolton, Stannis Baratheon, Tywin Lannister, Davos Seaworth, Quentyn Martell, Doran Martell, Yoren, Alliser Thorne, Victarion Greyjoy, Gendry, probably Willas Tyrell, Jon Connington, Rhaegar Targaryen, Barristan Selmy, Jorah Mormont, Kevan Lannister.

Extroverts: Tyrion Lannister, Bran Stark, Arya Stark, Theon Greyjoy (at the start of books), Robert Baratheon, Renly Baratheon, Mace Tyrell, Genna Lannister, Margaery Tyrell, Myranda Royce, Littlefinger, Asha Greyjoy, Arianne Martell, Oberyn Martell, Salladhor Saan, Young Griff, Tormund, Illyrio Mopatis.

I'm not sure about Sansa, Robb, Catelyn, Daenerys, Jaime, Cersei, Melisandre etc.

Jon Snow, Jaime, Sandor, Ramsay, and Stannis may not be introverts by nature.  They are just assholes with stinky personalities.  People will not seek their company.  Jon Snow is one surly bastard.  Ramsay is evil.  Stannis has no charm.  

Tywin, Robb, and Daenerys are authority figures who must maintain their distance from the ones they ruled.  It's the only way to remain objective.  Although Robb failed at that and look where his head ended.  Away from his body.  Tywin and Daenerys are great leaders because they have a controlled personality which they show to the public.  Daenerys is particularly good at that.  They have personal sides like every human but they know to keep it behind closed doors.  They have personalities in the middle of the extremes but all three enjoy the spotlight and handle the attention very well. 

Introversion and extroversion are more a spectrum rather than a dichotomy. I will classify the characters mentioned as well as others into five categories which are as follows:

1. Very extrovert

Aerys II Targaryen

Arianne Martell

Brandon Stark (Ned's brother)

Euron Greyjoy

Garlan Tyrell

Mace Tyrell

Melissandre

Oberyn Martell

Petyr "Littlefinger" Baelish

Robert Baratheon

Renly Barathon

2. Extrovert

Arya Stark

Asha Greyjoy

Daenerys Targaryen

Genna Lannister

Illyrio Mopatis

Jaime Lannister

Loras Tyrell

Lyanna Stark

Mance Rayder

Margaery Tyrell

Myranda Royce

Myrcella "Baratheon"

Theon Greyjoy

Tormund Giantsbane

Salladhor Saan

Sansa Stark

Varys

3. Neither extrovert nor introvert

Brandon "Bran" Stark

Catelyn Tully

Cersei Lannister

Joffrey "Baratheon"

Lysa Tully

Robb Stark

4. Introvert

Barristan Selmy

Benjen Stark

Brienne of Tarth

Brynden "Bloodraven" Rivers

Davos Seaworth

Doran Martell

Eddard "Ned" Stark

Edric "Ned" Dayne

Edric Storm

Gendry

Jeor Mormont

Jon Snow

Jorah Mormont

Kevan Lannister

Podrick Payne

Rhaegar Targaryen

Rhaella Targaryen

Tywin Lannister

Viserys III Targaryen

Willas Tyrell

Young Griff

5. Very introvert

Aeron Greyjoy

Alliser Thorne

Balon Greyjoy

Gregor Clegane

Ilyn Payne

Sandor Clegane

Selyse Florent

Shireen Baratheon

Stannis Baratheon

Tommen "Baratheon"

Quentyn Martell

Victarion Greyjoy

Yoren

Arya's not neutral.  She'll make friends with anybody, frequently ends up in charge, constantly is in search of a pack, likes being around people and is very outgoing.  I would say she is very extroverted.

13 hours ago, Alester Florent said:

Can we really call Victarion and Gregor, leaders of men, and Yoren, a recruitment agent, highly introverted?

Of course we can, introvert doesn't mean shy, it's a common misconception.

13 hours ago, Alester Florent said:

Unrelated: Seeing "extrovert" spelled that way will probably never cease to annoy me, but there's nothing I can do.

Why?

10 hours ago, Bowen 747 said:

It's not fair to label Ser Barry an introvert.

Introversion is not a personality flaw, if you see it that way, I'm sorry for you.

9 hours ago, Nevets said:

Arya's not neutral.  She'll make friends with anybody, frequently ends up in charge, constantly is in search of a pack, likes being around people and is very outgoing.  I would say she is very extroverted.

I couldn't make up my mind about her, so I chose to put her on the neutral category by default, but now that you mention those things about her, I think she belongs to the extrovert group.

5 hours ago, Willam Stark said:

Of course we can, introvert doesn't mean shy, it's a common misconception.

As an introvert myself, I know. But Gregor and Youren don't show any particular inclination towards solitude or even smaller groups: Gregor is the gang leader of a group of rowdy toughs he basically spends all his time with, and Yoren chooses to leave his friends and comrades at the Night's Watch to go out glad-handing around the Seven Kingdoms. It doesn't strike me as introverted behaviour.

Victarion fits the type more, but only after his original crew is dispersed and he's sent off to the far side of the world with a bunch of spies and strangers, which suggests something other than innate personality type.

5 hours ago, Willam Stark said:

Why?

It's bad Latin. The term Jung originally used was "extravert" which is derived from Latin "extra" vs "intro" but some time early in the 20th century someone wrote a new paper misspelling it as "extrovert" (and also apparently misunderstanding the term) and this caught on, eventually finding its way into dictionaries.

1 minute ago, Alester Florent said:

Gregor is the gang leader of a group of rowdy toughs he basically spends all his time with, and Yoren chooses to leave his friends and comrades at the Night's Watch to go out glad-handing around the Seven Kingdoms. It doesn't strike me as introverted behaviour.

To be fair though, it is also said that:

Unlike his brother, Ser Gregor did not live at court. He was a solitary man who seldom left his own lands, but for wars and tourneys.

So I think the case can be made that he shows a bit of both.

2 minutes ago, Craving Peaches said:

To be fair though, it is also said that:

So I think the case can be made that he shows a bit of both.

Yeah, I could definitely buy him being somewhere in the middle.

With regard to Victarion, too, I think where we have PoV characters they may appear more introverted than they are because we see so much of what's going on inside their heads, often more than we see them interacting with others, and especially so in the later books, which are much... slower than the first three.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/28/2023 at 7:13 PM, Nevets said:

I think the show colors people’s opinion of Arya. In the show, she’s always alone, whereas in the books, she actively seeks companionship. 

Sansa may be a rare example of an ambivert. She likes parties and social gatherings, but in times of turmoil, she retreats inward.

Archived