I am not convinced by Lemongate

Craving Peaches

1 hour ago, Mourning Star said:

The whole point here is that Dany is under a misapprehension about who she is, being a few months older than she thought she was is the least of her concerns here!

She is not born months before Rhaella's death. Viserys, Darry, the servants would know it, and have talked. Varys, the Martels, and others would know it too. You can't keep that secret. And for what purpose? None of them would care for the bastard girl from the whore of the North. Would care for a prophecy.

I don't think Ned intended there to be any switch.

I think he probably thought the safest thing for her would be to grow up in secret, maybe somewhere like the House with the Red Door. 

As for a protector, it's hard to know. What happened to Ashara Dayne? Why didn't Ned bring Lord Dustin's bones home? What happened to the Maester of Winterfell from the time of Robert's Rebellion?

I have to wonder why Lord Dustin would do this rather than return to his wife.  I mean Barbery would have to be really beyond the pale for him to decide to up sticks and forget about his Lordship and his line.  The maester of Winterfell, likewise, is just an appointee from the Citadel not Ned's devoutly loyal and selfless servant - his job is not to obey Ned like a Kingsguard and babysit a child round Essos.  Why is his existence even relevant?  Ashara is the only real puzzle as her backstory is dodgy.

2 hours ago, Mourning Star said:

I would guess that whoever her original protector(s) were, she changed hands in what she remembers as being thrown out of the House with the Red Door, which "had not been home for him" (Viserys).

So why didn't Ned try and recover "custody at one remove" instead of leaving her to be tied to Viserys and have a nice bullseye painted on her for Robert's fury to seek out, or to be sold to a Dothraki Khal like a piece of meat?  I doubt that last was his promise to Lyanna.

I just don't buy this disinterest and complacency from Ned.

1 hour ago, BalerionTheCat said:

She is not born months before Rhaella's death. Viserys, Darry, the servants would know it, and have talked. Varys, the Martels, and others would know it too. You can't keep that secret. And for what purpose? None of them would care for the bastard girl from the whore of the North. Would care for a prophecy.

I feel like we aren't having the same conversation... I don't think Dany was born on Dragonstone. I don't think she is the child of Rhaella at all. I think she was the child of Rhaegar and Lyanna and only placed in the care of Viserys around 5 years old. 

I think Rhaella died in childbirth. I think that Darry left with Viserys, and maybe a child who died soon after. Darry lived long enough to sign a marriage contract with Dorne before dying. Very few people on both sides of this "swap" have any real knowledge of events.

I don't think any of them cared about Lyanna (outside of Ned and Howland, or by extension) or any prophesy (with the possible exclusion of Rhaegar).

I think the Martells, at the highest level may know, it may have been that Dany was delivered to Viserys on the same trip which saw the marriage contract signed. If only because the timing may line up, Dany remembers sailing into Braavos (with the only mention of Viserys being when she told him and he got mad), and that it seemed around when the Sealord (or a new Sealord) was in need of a new First Sword.

Sorry it's hard for both of us when this didn't start with a coherent theory but rather just expanded from my ramblings!

22 minutes ago, the trees have eyes said:

I have to wonder why Lord Dustin would do this rather than return to his wife.  I mean Barbery would have to be really beyond the pale for him to decide to up sticks and forget about his Lordship and his line.  The maester of Winterfell, likewise, is just an appointee from the Citadel not Ned's devoutly loyal and selfless servant - his job is not to obey Ned like a Kingsguard and babysit a child round Essos.  Why is his existence even relevant?  Ashara is the only real puzzle as her backstory is dodgy.

I hear what you are saying but I think you are selling Lord Dustin a little short. What if he didn't want to return to a woman who loved Brandon Stark? What if he was injured at the Tower of Joy and so couldn't "ride away" and had to use a cane for the rest of his days, like the "Willem Darry" of Dany's "memory" (His full name was Lord Willam Dustin).

The Maester is mostly interesting because Lady Dustin names him.

Ashara is a mystery.

22 minutes ago, the trees have eyes said:

So why didn't Ned try and recover "custody at one remove" instead of leaving her to be tied to Viserys and have a nice bullseye painted on her for Robert's fury to seek out, or to be sold to a Dothraki Khal like a piece of meat?  I doubt that last was his promise to Lyanna.

I think his promise may have been to protect them from Robert.

I think Ned entrusted her to a protector or protectors, and she was meant to live in secret and peace. He was already bringing one bastard home, keeping the other, whose, unlike say Cersei, very existence was unknown to Robert, might have put them all in more danger.

A nice quiet place like The House with the Red Door does make some sense. Obviously, I can't tell you if you think that's reasonable, but it makes sense to me. Especially if it was in Dorne, far from Ned (and the other child) and Robert. Tyrosh is another good option (We see a connection to Tyrosh both at Dany's wedding and in the water garden in Dorne).

Only later do I think this place was disturbed, and Dany's guardians scattered or slain. Then, around when she was age five, whoever took custody of her would have brought her to Viserys.

Edited by Mourning Star

I feel like we aren't having the same conversation... I don't think Dany was born on Dragonstone. I don't think she is the child of Rhaella at all. I think she was the child of Rhaegar and Lyanna and only placed in the care of Viserys around 5 years old. 

I think Rhaella died in childbirth. I think that Darry left with Viserys, and maybe a child who died soon after. Darry lived long enough to sign a marriage contract with Dorne before dying. Very few people on both sides of this "swap" have any real knowledge of events.

I don't think any of them cared about Lyanna (outside of Ned and Howland, or by extension) or any prophesy (with the possible exclusion of Rhaegar).

I think the Martells, at the highest level may know, it may have been that Dany was delivered to Viserys on the same trip which saw the marriage contract signed. If only because the timing may line up, Dany remembers sailing into Braavos (with the only mention of Viserys being when she told him and he got mad), and that it seemed around when the Sealord (or a new Sealord) was in need of a new First Sword.

Sorry it's hard for both of us when this didn't start with a coherent theory but rather just expanded from my ramblings!

Incoherent theory based on wild ramblings sounds about right.  Any theory based on secret survivors of the Tower of Joy is starting a few laps behind.  We're given the information in Ned's own thoughts and memories.  I don't think he's being sneaky with himself.  And if it doesn't involve a secret TOJ survivor, that pretty much leaves the Daynes or Howland, and I don't see either of them turfing her out.

And if Rhaella's daughter dies or is never born, I can think of no reason not to say so.  Hold a nice funeral and move on.  Which means she would be replacing a known dead girl.  When I said theories start out convoluted and byzantine, this is the sort of thing I was talking about.  So far, GRRM's conspiracies and secrets have been straightforward and easy to understand.  This is neither.   Staying with a rich, eccentric Dornishman is looking better by the hour.

By the way.  Given the POV structure, how are we supposed to find any of this out?

Edited by Nevets

14 hours ago, kissdbyfire said:

But allowing her to grow up as Daenerys Targaryen doesn’t protect her from Robert, it paints a bullseye on her back. 

I'm not suggesting this was ever Ned's plan, as I tried to explain above. I would guess that Ned intended her to live out her life in quiet and peace never knowing who she was and unknown to Robert. Parading her around Essos as the Stormborn benefits Illyrio, who planned to sell her for a Dothraki horde.

13 hours ago, Nevets said:

Incoherent theory based on wild ramblings sounds about right.  Any theory based on secret survivors of the Tower of Joy is starting a few laps behind.  We're given the information in Ned's own thoughts and memories.  I don't think he's being sneaky with himself.  And if it doesn't involve a secret TOJ survivor, that pretty much leaves the Daynes or Howland, and I don't see either of them turfing her out.

Meanwhile it seems to me that you are just being dense and willfully blind. Nowhere here is this theory coherently laid out, the whole thread is just bashing something without ever even establishing what it was. But, it is always shocking to me that people can have read this story so far and really believe there is nothing to the lemon tree or Dany's past, we can certainly debate what, but that people are still denying it all together is shocking to me.

Hopefully one day we find out if one of us is right!

13 hours ago, Nevets said:

By the way.  Given the POV structure, how are we supposed to find any of this out?

By reading the story.

Edited by Mourning Star

I'm not suggesting this was ever Ned's plan, as I tried to explain above. I would guess that Ned intended her to live out her life in quiet and peace never knowing who she was and unknown to Robert. Parading her around Essos as the Stormborn benefits Illyrio, who planned to sell her for a Dothraki horde.

Meanwhile it seems to me that you are just being dense and willfully blind. Nowhere here is this theory coherently laid out, the whole thread is just bashing something without ever even establishing what it was. But, it is always shocking to me that people can have read this story so far and really believe there is nothing to the lemon tree or Dany's past, we can certainly debate what, but that people are still denying it all together is shocking to me.

Hopefully one day we find out if one of us is right!

By reading the story.

I am perfectly happy to believe that there is something to the whole lemon tree thing, and even that it might point to something mysterious about Daenerys's past and I've even said so on this thread.  I am even willing to accept the possibility that she is not the daughter of Aerys and Rhaella.

My problem is that I fail to see how and why the substitution would be made.  The fact that you have to twist the text into a pretzel and come up with wild, convoluted explanations of how it might be done isn't helpful.

Also, if she died, why keep it a secret?  She doesn't replace anyone in the succession and isn't otherwise important for anything, especially as an infant or toddler.

Also, I seriously doubt Illyrio has been working on the Drogo plot for 7-8 years.  A couple, maybe, but it should be remembered that it was essentially a scam to give Aegon credibility, if I recall correctly.  

45 minutes ago, Nevets said:

I am perfectly happy to believe that there is something to the whole lemon tree thing, and even that it might point to something mysterious about Daenerys's past and I've even said so on this thread.  I am even willing to accept the possibility that she is not the daughter of Aerys and Rhaella.

My problem is that I fail to see how and why the substitution would be made.  The fact that you have to twist the text into a pretzel and come up with wild, convoluted explanations of how it might be done isn't helpful.

I'm really not sure what you mean by twisting the text.

Pointing out that Dany doesn't know her own early history (like any child) and she says in her chapter it's all stories from Viserys?

Pointing out what Ned says he would do, to Cersei?

Symbolism?

I don't even think it's that convoluted for the story we are talking about. It's one part Jon's baby swap story and one part Young Griff's, and spelled out as little as either of them. But, believe what you want.

Also, if she died, why keep it a secret?  She doesn't replace anyone in the succession and isn't otherwise important for anything, especially as an infant or toddler.

You mean Rhaella? She died, it's no secret. If you mean her baby, who is keeping the secret? Ser Willem Darry? From whom is he keeping it? They fled Dragonstone and went into hiding, who are they going to tell?

Also, I seriously doubt Illyrio has been working on the Drogo plot for 7-8 years.  A couple, maybe, but it should be remembered that it was essentially a scam to give Aegon credibility, if I recall correctly.  

Really unclear right. But presumably he's been generally plotting at least since Young Griffs birth, if not before that when Varys went to King's Landing. The cheese monger's plans are constantly changing, as plans do.

As for marrying Dany to Drogo, he says years. I'm not sure it really matters if the plan was to sell Dany to Drogo originally, or just to sell her for some military alliance and Drogo shaped up to be the best option for Illyrio. However, shipping Dany from court to court for years, rather than protecting them himself, does establish their identity.

Edited by Mourning Star

41 minutes ago, Mourning Star said:

I'm really not sure what you mean by twisting the text.

Pointing out that Dany doesn't know her own early history (like any child) and she says in her chapter it's all stories from Viserys?

Pointing out what Ned says he would do, to Cersei?

Symbolism?

I don't even think it's that convoluted for the story we are talking about. It's one part Jon's baby swap story and one part Young Griff's, and spelled out as little as either of them. But, believe what you want.

You mean Rhaella? She died, it's no secret. If you mean her baby, who is keeping the secret? Ser Willem Darry? From whom is he keeping it? They fled Dragonstone and went into hiding, who are they going to tell?

Really unclear right. But presumably he's been generally plotting at least since Young Griffs birth, if not before that when Varys went to King's Landing. The cheese monger's plans are constantly changing, as plans do.

As for marrying Dany to Drogo, he says years. I'm not sure it really matters if the plan was to sell Dany to Drogo originally, or just to sell her for some military alliance and Drogo shaped up to be the best option for Illyrio. However, shipping Dany from court to court for years, rather than protecting them himself, does establish their identity.

Who substituted Daenerys?  How do they even know about her?

How was the substitution done?  How did she get from the house with the red door, wherever that is, to Viserys?

Who was taking care of Dany at the house with the red door?

Why is Viserys going along with it?  No, I don't believe he is going to be willing to wait 10 or so years for a maybe army.  He wants the throne long before then.

I have not seen convincing answers to these questions.  I've barely seen any at all.  Multiple suggestions accepted.

Edited by Nevets

Having nearly finished another re-read of the series, I have to say it's for the first time that I caught the line in AGoT when the wine seller at the market in Vaes Dothrak thinks Daenerys is Tyroshi because of her accent.

I'm not sure I 100% believe Lemongate as a whole, but lets assume I do. Here's my take on it:

Dany's memory of the location of the house with the red door is faulty, but not in any sinister way. More like the faulty memory of a child. She remembers Ser Willem Darry as being a bear of a man, but she also remembers him as being just a shriveled husk. (I always remember my dad as being fat; he is now, but he wasn't in his 30s; but I was a little kid then and he was a bit thicker than others around him)

So what if the house was in Tyrosh, but it belonged to a Braavosi. Perhaps a Braavosi agent who helped broker the deal between Willem Darry and Oberyn. It's from Dany's PoV that we know the signatories on the parchment and the Sealord as witness. Does it actually say the location or is that just Dany belief's based on who the witness was? The Sealord may have travelled in secret to Tyrosh to be the witness, with all the arrangements done by his Braavosi agent. And Oberyn spent time as a sellsword, first with the Second Sons, and then leading his own company. But the Free Companies tend to spend their time around the Disputed Lands and the three quarrelsome cities that fight over them. So no one would suspect Oberyn being in Tyrosh compared to Braavos.

We have examples of people referring to foreigners just by their origin place without attributing the people's name.

What about you, Tyrosh, you're big enough. Sandor challenging Greenbeard in the Brotherhood's cave.

So maybe Dany confuses the house's owner with her being in the city. Because I highly doubt she spent much time outside of that house in those days, when there was a good reason to fear Robert sending assassins.

Now for a more tinfoil hat portion of this theory - the owner of the house and Braavosi agent in Tyrosh was Syrio Forel. :D

No real clues that I can think off, but there is the question of how did Forel get recommended to Ned to be hired as Arya's sword tutor.

I believe the quote from Ned is the Braavosi came highly recommended. hmm, by whom? Did Ned use Jory to search for a teacher for Arya? Did Ned himself make inquiries? But to whom? Ned respected Ser Barristan, so maybe he asked him. But the most likely person to whom Ned would have turned for this kind of inquiry is the Red Keep's master-at-arms, Ser Aron Santagar, a Dornishman. We don't really know anything about Aron's past. How long had he been the master-at-arms? Mayhaps when he was younger he served Oberyn for a time and happened to have met Syrio.

Edited by Corvinus85

1 hour ago, Nevets said:

Who substituted Daenerys?  How do they even know about her?

Great question. While I think Illyrio is likely to have been involved, Dorne presents another suspect, especially given the marriage agreement with Viserys. Like Ned, Doran does not kill children, but a child of Lyanna and Rhaegar would be a stain on the name of his dead sister Elia.

How they might have found out about her is another good question! What if someone else still knows? Would it make them the most dangerous person in Dorne?

1 hour ago, Nevets said:

How was the substitution done?  How did she get from the house with the red door, wherever that is, to Viserys?

On a ship with a green sail. We could go down the rabbit hole of who has ships with green sails, and why I think Sallador Saan must be in league with Illyrio, but one step at a time.

The narrow sea was often stormy, and Dany had crossed it half a hundred times as a girl, running from one Free City to the next half a step ahead of the Usurper's hired knives. She loved the sea. She liked the sharp salty smell of the air, and the vastness of horizons bounded only by a vault of azure sky above. It made her feel small, but free as well. She liked the dolphins that sometimes swam along beside Balerion, slicing through the waves like silvery spears, and the flying fish they glimpsed now and again. She even liked the sailors, with all their songs and stories. Once on a voyage to Braavos, as she'd watched the crew wrestle down a great green sail in a rising gale, she had even thought how fine it would be to be a sailor. But when she told her brother, Viserys had twisted her hair until she cried. "You are blood of the dragon," he had screamed at her. "A dragon, not some smelly fish."
He was a fool about that, and so much else, Dany thought.

I particularly like this one because dolphins are the wolves of the sea!

One may also note that there is no indication Viserys and Dany returned to Braavos in their travels:

They had wandered since then, from Braavos to Myr, from Myr to Tyrosh, and on to Qohor and Volantis and Lys, never staying long in any one place. Her brother would not allow it. The Usurper's hired knives were close behind them, he insisted, though Dany had never seen one.

1 hour ago, Nevets said:

Who was taking care of Dany at the house with the red door?

Another great question. I can only present options. Willam Dustin, Ashara Dayne, and Maester Flowers come to mind.

1 hour ago, Nevets said:

Why is Viserys going along with it?  No, I don't believe he is going to be willing to wait 10 or so years for a maybe army.  He wants the throne long before then.

Selling her for an army is the reason to keep her around, telling her she is his little sister rather than Rhagar's daughter would move her claim from before him to after him. It also gives him someone to lord over/abuse, and mayhaps I'd even suggest that he was lonely. Alternately, it's possible Viserys was just a dupe told enough so that he would play along.

1 hour ago, Nevets said:

I have not seen convincing answers to these questions.  I've barely seen any at all.  Multiple suggestions accepted.

I don't think any answer is likely to be convincing enough for you until new books are published.

Edited by Mourning Star

On 3/28/2023 at 3:00 PM, Mourning Star said:

But, it is always shocking to me that people can have read this story so far and really believe there is nothing to the lemon tree or Dany's past, we can certainly debate what, but that people are still denying it all together is shocking to me.

Just to comment on this.  For a lot of people in this thread, myself included, this is not a new subject or debate so you aren't running into people who are simply slapping this down, but into people who have read or debated this for years so suffer perhaps from a bit of lemongate fatigue and offer comments that reflect the lack of appetite to return to first principles and go through every single argument and factoid all over gain.  Now I admit that must be frustrating if you have the appetite for a fairly comprehensive run through but it's a mistake to think that people haven't been over all this before or, as I said, find the logistical issues of an unDany switch or Ned's abandonment of a putative daughter of Lyanna more of an issue than a childhood memory.

1 hour ago, the trees have eyes said:

Just to comment on this.  For a lot of people in this thread, myself included, this is not a new subject or debate so you aren't running into people who are simply slapping this down, but into people who have read or debated this for years so suffer perhaps from a bit of lemongate fatigue and offer comments that reflect the lack of appetite to return to first principles and go through every single argument and factoid all over gain.  Now I admit that must be frustrating if you have the appetite for a fairly comprehensive run through but it's a mistake to think that people haven't been over all this before or, as I said, find the logistical issues of an unDany switch or Ned's abandonment of a putative daughter of Lyanna more of an issue than a childhood memory.

I'm not sure why anyone would expect to find a new subject or debate about a story that hasn't had new content in over a decade.

What's shocking to me is that even after a decade there are still people denying anything about the lemon tree being out of place in Dany's memory. I get that you've made up your mind and don't want to engage about it anymore, but to me it just seems like denial.

"Lemons. And where would we get lemons? Does this look like Dorne to you, you freckled fool? Why don't you hop out back to the lemon trees and pick us a bushel, and some nice olives and pomegranates too."

We can quibble about the details of what it means to the story, one can only speculate anyway, but not until people can admit there is something there. 

Or, if you've made up your mind and don't want to talk about it anymore, don't engage.

Or do, but it's hard to give weight to opinions when the person writing it won't defend it, imo.

Edited by Mourning Star

I'm not sure why anyone would expect to find a new subject or debate about a story that hasn't had new content in over a decade.

What's shocking to me is that even after a decade there are still people denying anything about the lemon tree being out of place in Dany's memory. I get that you've made up your mind and don't want to engage about it anymore, but to me it just seems like denial.

"Lemons. And where would we get lemons? Does this look like Dorne to you, you freckled fool? Why don't you hop out back to the lemon trees and pick us a bushel, and some nice olives and pomegranates too."

We can quibble about the details of what it means to the story, one can only speculate anyway, but not until people can admit there is something there. 

Or, if you've made up your mind and don't want to talk about it anymore, don't engage.

Or do, but it's hard to give weight to opinions when the person writing it won't defend it, imo.

Oh, I know your m.o.  I was only commenting on you expressing your bemusement that people don't get what you think you get and to say why people aren't always mad keen on walls of texts and quotes for the nth time.  Rather as expected you're here to tell me people are wrong about this as well and either have to take part in a topic the way you want them to or they shouldn't at all.  That's something you'll just have to muddle on through.

1 hour ago, the trees have eyes said:

Oh, I know your m.o.  I was only commenting on you expressing your bemusement that people don't get what you think you get and to say why people aren't always mad keen on walls of texts and quotes for the nth time.  Rather as expected you're here to tell me people are wrong about this as well and either have to take part in a topic the way you want them to or they shouldn't at all.  That's something you'll just have to muddle on through.

I'm here because I enjoy posting about the text, yes! Sometimes at great length.

Being surprised by the conclusions of other is also part of the fun. But, I'd rather discuss the text and theories, even old ones you've long ago dismissed, than trade comments about each others "m.o.'s". For my part I apologize to anyone I've offended with my own opinions, theories, or adamancy.

We all have to muddle through life in our own way. 

If there is no interest in my comments, I can certainly stop posting walls of text on this thread and spare you moving forward. Be well.

Edited by Mourning Star

I'm here because I enjoy posting about the text, yes! Sometimes at great length.

Being surprised by the conclusions of other is also part of the fun. But, I'd rather discuss the text and theories, even old ones you've long ago dismissed, than trade comments about each others "m.o.'s". For my part I apologize to anyone I've offended with my own opinions, theories, or adamancy.

We all have to muddle through life in our own way. 

If there is no interest in my comments, I can certainly stop posting walls of text on this thread and spare you moving forward. Be well.

The main problem I have, and I think @the trees have eyes has as well, is that we can't make the logistics of FDany work.  There are too many hoops to go through and many of the solutions are unlikely or even contradictory to the text.

You have to get the fake from the ToJ to the house with the red door.  The only viable caretaker I've seen mentioned is Ashara Dayne, but that begs the question of why not leave the baby at Starfall (many Daynes have similar features), especially since Ned met Ashara there to return the sword.  

Whoever did the switch would have to know both that the real Daenerys was dead, despite it being secret, and the existence of the fake Dany, also a secret.  And different parties know the secrets.  Illyrio has no clear way to know either one; certainly not about the fake.

And Viserys has to be persuaded to pay for food, clothes, education, housing for non-family despite no near term gain.

That's just the problems I can think of.

Edited by Nevets

33 minutes ago, Nevets said:

Whoever did the switch would have to know both that the real Daenerys was dead, despite it being secret, and the existence of the fake Dany, also a secret.  And different parties know the secrets.  Illyrio has no clear way to know either one; certainly not about the fake.

"Tell me how you knew my plans."
"I am the Prince of Dorne. Men seek my favor."
Someone told.

Someone always tells. 

After thinking this over, I think the lemon tree significance  means there was a conspiracy between Dorne, Braavos and Tyrosh.

Dany unrolled the parchment and examined it again. Braavos. This was done in Braavos, while we were living in the house with the red door. Why did that make her feel so strange?

When presented with the pact, she says the pact was made when they were both at the house with the red door. 

Dany and Vis left the house with the red door when she was 5. 

Doran wrote the letter to Quentyn that he will rule Dorne when Arianne was 14 years old (Viserys is the same age, and Dany would have been 6 when this letter was written, which was after they had been kicked out of the house with the red door). 

After they left the house with the red door they went to:
They had wandered since then, from Braavos to Myr, from Myr to Tyrosh, and on to Qohor and Volantis and Lys, never staying long in any one place. Her brother would not allow it. The Usurper's hired knives were close behind them, he insisted, though Dany had never seen one.
At first the magisters and archons and merchant princes were pleased to welcome the last Targaryens to their homes and tables, but as the years passed 

Doran wanted to send Arianne to Tyrosh to meet Viserys in secret, this didn't go through but there was a green haired girl in the water gardens (did someone else go instead?):

"That green-haired girl was the Archon's daughter. I was to have sent you to Tyrosh in her place. You would have served the Archon as a cupbearer and met with your betrothed in secret, but your mother threatened to harm herself if I stole another of her children, and I . . . I could not do that to her."

The brother of the Archon did attend Dany's wedding

Illyrio whispered to them. "Those three are Drogo's bloodriders, there," he said. "By the pillar is Khal Moro, with his son Rhogoro. The man with the green beard is brother to the Archon of Tyrosh, and the man behind him is Ser Jorah Mormont."

What did Doran give or promise to Braavos and Tyrosh?