[Spoilers] Rings of Power 4: The Battle for Middle-Earth begins

Ser Drewy

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movies/movie-news/lord-of-the-rings-amazon-vs-warner-bros-1235337625/

Middle-Earth rights are now split between Amazon and Warner Brothers who want to make independent movies. WB has allegedly expressed interest in bringing Peter Jackson, Phillipa Boyens & Fran Walsh back in some capacity. Boyens has been advising on the War of the Rohirrim anime.  Amazon will continue on with their Second Age adaptation, now currently shooting its second season. WB etc will probably stick to the Third Age. One insider in the article suggests WB have plans to Star Warsify the property. 

Edited by Ser Drewy

15 hours ago, Ser Drewy said:

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movies/movie-news/lord-of-the-rings-amazon-vs-warner-bros-1235337625/

Middle-Earth rights are now split between Amazon and Warner Brothers who want to make independent movies. WB has allegedly expressed interest in bringing Peter Jackson, Phillipa Boyens & Fran Walsh back in some capacity. Boyens has been advising on the War of the Rohirrim anime.  Amazon will continue on with their Second Age adaptation, now currently shooting its second season. WB etc will probably stick to the Third Age. One insider in the article suggests WB have plans to Star Warsify the property. 

Saruman stabbed first?

On 3/1/2023 at 12:48 PM, Darryk said:

I'm rooting for Warner Bros on this one.

Why?  They had nothing to do with the Lord of the Rings and their Shadow of Mordor plot is significantly worse than anything Amazon has done.

2 hours ago, Slurktan said:

Why?  They had nothing to do with the Lord of the Rings and their Shadow of Mordor plot is significantly worse than anything Amazon has done.

That was The Shadow of the Assassin's Creed Featuresets Brought to You by Rocksteady Middle-earth Studios, yeah?

5 hours ago, Slurktan said:

Nothing is worse than what Amazon has done.

Warner Bros at least want to get Peter Jackson involved, unlike Amazon wo ghosted him.

I don't think Peter Jackson has it in him to make a good feature film anymore. He makes great documentary films, maybe he should stick to that, but at least Warner Bros are making the effort.

Also I haven't played Shadow of Mordor but most people who've played it it tells me it's great.

Edited by Darryk

3 hours ago, Darryk said:

Nothing is worse than what Amazon has done.

Warner Bros at least want to get Peter Jackson involved, unlike Amazon wo ghosted him.

I don't think Peter Jackson has it in him to make a good feature film anymore. He makes great documentary films, maybe he should stick to that, but at least Warner Bros are making the effort.

Also I haven't played Shadow of Mordor but most people who've played it it tells me it's great.

Peter the Scubbing Bubbles of Death, Skull Avalanche Surfing, Denethor Butchering, Jackson?  He’s the savior of the Middle Earth Mythos?

I’m going to quote Scott Lynch:

The Lord of the Rings is fundamentally about reconciling oneself to loss and the passing of all known things, so I suppose it's grimly hilarious that it's gonna be vivisected and extruded into endless franchise content for another couple decades.

He is absolutely correct.

2 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

Peter the Scubbing Bubbles of Death, Skull Avalanche Surfing, Denethor Butchering, Jackson?  He’s the savior of the Middle Earth Mythos?

I didn't like the bubbles of death either but there's a lot more I loved about the films than didn't like.

Anyway I hardly see PJ as the savior, I don't think he's made a good feature film since LOTR. But at least Warner Bros are paying some deference to the fanbase.

Anyway I don't want either company to make more LOTR stuff but between the two I'd definitely find it hilarious if Warner Bros beat Amazon and that looney Jennifer Salke. I also find it funny that Amazon's 1 billion dollar series was so badly received that Warner Bros even feel confident enough to challenge them in the first place.

I would question whether there is anything even especially interesting about the LOTR franchise that makes it so sought after and valuable. 

Pretty much every fantasy property going is some sort of relative to Tolkien’s work. How many tv shows and movies have elves and dwarves and sort of orcs. 

It being a LOTR property doesn’t really add very much if you aren’t going to do anything interesting with it. RoP shows that a bland show is still a bland show no matter what universe it inhabits. 

So quite frankly I don’t care any more. The chances of actually getting something that reflects the quality of Tolkiens writing is pretty minimal, so it doesn’t really matter does it.

WB are going to make another set of over the top LOTR movies, whatever the subject, but then they're going to make the young Aragorn show that no one wants and Amazon thought about doing, and it's going to be their Andor, and everyone will have hope again. That's how they get you.

4 hours ago, Corvinus85 said:

WB are going to make another set of over the top LOTR movies, whatever the subject, but then they're going to make the young Aragorn show that no one wants and Amazon thought about doing, and it's going to be their Andor, and everyone will have hope again. That's how they get you.

Sounds like a chance for Peter Jackson to do that Strider + Legolas buddy movie he teased in BOTFA.... 

• 3 weeks later...

https://ew.com/tv/ciaran-hinds-becomes-latest-game-of-thrones-veteran-to-join-the-rings-of-power/?utm_campaign=entertainmentweekly_entertainmentweekly&utm_content=new&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_term=64187b4c85f51e000144c12e

"In addition to Hinds, Amazon also announced on Monday that Rory Kinnear and Tanya Moodie are joining the cast. Kinnear is perhaps best known for his role on the very first episode of Black Mirror, in which he played a beleaguered British politician who's blackmailed into having sex with a pig on live television, and just last year portrayed the shapeshifting embodiment of patriarchal oppression in Alex Garland's Men. Moodie, meanwhile, recently appeared in Sam Mendes' film Empire of Light and Showtime's TV adaptation of The Man Who Fell to Earth."

To an international audience, Kinnear I think is best-known for appearing in four James Bond movies in a row, albeit in a very minor role.

Having Kinnear and Hinds in a project is good. Hinds looks outstanding for 70.