[Spoilers] Rings of Power 4: The Battle for Middle-Earth begins

Ser Drewy

From that article 

,” insiders say the mandate is increasingly not on finding the kind of curated hit that defines HBO, but more middle-of-the-road, meat-and-potatoes shows like Jack Reacher. “

Rings of Power is the very definition  of middle of the road, Meat and Po-Ta-toes kinda show, so job done as far as Amazon are concerned 

@Ser Scot A EllisonI mostly agree with Scott Lynch.

Yet, if someone really good were to produce The Children of Hurin, or the last years of Numenor, then I’d be interested.

As for LOTR, I think the first two films and the first half of ROTK were very good.  The second half of ROTK was a mess, however.

And the less said about Denethor and the Scrubbing Bubbles of Death (or as I prefer, the Green Soap Bubbles of Death), the better.

Ha, glad to know I was actually in the majority who had a hard time maintaining interest.  I rarely could watch a single boring as hell episode in one sitting.  Unlike the majority, I did finish it, but maybe by the end it was almost a hate watch, to see if it would get dumber or save itself.  Those numbers don't speak too well of how it will do next season, if 2/3 of those who tuned in didn't finish it, presumably they won't come back for more.  

Edited by Cas Stark

Yeah I only really finished it so I could understand what the hell the point was, and almost certainly would have dropped it if there wasn’t so much buzz.. negative buzz.. about the show. But every episode was a struggle, could barely stop looking at my phone.. or the ceiling instead 

3 hours ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

This:

[Lance Reddick Voice]

"<The franchise> will not be ending. There will be sequels, prequels, reboots, remakes and ill-advised spin-offs with side characters that cannot possibly carry their own series. We'll give the fans everything they want, and much, much more. We'll use an algorithm to churn out hundreds of scripts a day at virtually no cost. And sure, you'll complain about how <the franchise> used to be better, but that anger will unite you. And you'll keep watching, hoping it will end, begging for it to end, and then you'll all die. And your children will watch it too, and so on. We're going to milk that creative IP until the UDDER RUNS DRY!

"This is the future of content, and CONTENT WILL NEVER DIE!"

57 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

Yeah I only really finished it so I could understand what the hell the point was, and almost certainly would have dropped it if there wasn’t so much buzz.. negative buzz.. about the show. But every episode was a struggle, could barely stop looking at my phone.. or the ceiling instead 

I guess I'm a sucker for LOTR.  I knew fairly early on that the point if any would be stupid.  I didn't expect quite the high level of stupidity of making Galadriel mean and dumb herself, or the Sauron 'mystery'.  I rejected the idea of who Sauron could be as a red herring because it was Just. Too. Dumb. To. Happen.  More fool me.  I will check out the second season, but the first one really was a chore w/not much enjoyment other than laughing at how much was spent on such a mediocre product.  It's always a shame though when something could have been good and isn't.

On 3/29/2023 at 7:06 AM, IlyaP said:

Has anyone made it through season 1 *sober*? If so, please tell me how you did it.

I was quarantined with no booze allowed for most of the runtime. Which is also why  I watched season 1 with nothing better to do I figured why not? Without that motivator I'm probably not gonna watch season 2 though I will at least  watch episode 1. 

• 2 weeks later...
46 minutes ago, Farerb said:

‘Lord Of The Rings: The Rings Of Power’ Team Talk Crafting The Look & Sound Of The Second Age, Tease Season 2

https://deadline.com/2023/04/lord-of-the-rings-the-rings-of-power-interview-sophia-nomvete-contenders-tv-1235326401/

Hide contents

Saruman will be introduced in season 2.

:facepalm:

Spoiler

Will they introduce Saruman as a villian?  Anyone want to be Saurman will be a lieutenant to Sauron?  These people have absolutely no respect for the existing story of the 2nd age.  

Mithril flakes to heal Elven children of their mysterious ailment.  Galadriel is really in a “will she won’t she” with a maiar… this isn’t being well assembled.

I'm not sure what is worse, earnest people who don't have the skills to pull of their vision [as these people seem] or cynical people who don't care about the worldbuilding in the first place.  Possibly it doesn't matter, if the product is poor, whether it was from lack of skill or lack of caring, the end result is the same.

5 hours ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

:facepalm:

Hide contents

Will they introduce Saruman as a villian?  Anyone want to be Saurman will be a lieutenant to Sauron?  These people have absolutely no respect for the existing story of the 2nd age.  

Mithril flakes to heal Elven children of their mysterious ailment.  Galadriel is really in a “will she won’t she” with a maiar… this isn’t being well assembled.

At least they're retaining Bear as the composer. His music is possibly the best thing about the show. His theme for Numenor? Zero complaints here.