[Spoilers] Rings of Power 4: The Battle for Middle-Earth begins

Ser Drewy

It's almost certainly a mistake and they meant to write Sauron. Not that the show becomes any less stupid through Saruman's absence.

Nomvete also spoke about playing the first female dwarf and the first dwarf of color on screen in the Tolkien universe, explaining that she “didn’t feel too much pressure” from audiences or the creative team. [...]

Lotro already did that.

On 4/15/2023 at 3:15 PM, Farerb said:

‘Lord Of The Rings: The Rings Of Power’ Team Talk Crafting The Look & Sound Of The Second Age, Tease Season 2

https://deadline.com/2023/04/lord-of-the-rings-the-rings-of-power-interview-sophia-nomvete-contenders-tv-1235326401/

Reveal hidden contents

Saruman will be introduced in season 2.

On 4/15/2023 at 4:04 PM, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

:facepalm:

Hide contents

Will they introduce Saruman as a villian?  Anyone want to be Saurman will be a lieutenant to Sauron?  These people have absolutely no respect for the existing story of the 2nd age.  

Mithril flakes to heal Elven children of their mysterious ailment.  Galadriel is really in a “will she won’t she” with a maiar… this isn’t being well assembled.

Where do they mention Saruman? Not that I would be surprised. I called it when the Hinds casting was announced.

5 hours ago, Ran said:

Some grifter has sued Amazon and the Tolkien Estate for $250 million, claiming that they largely ripped off his original vanity press novel which also appears to be a LotR fanfic 

I had what is in retrospect a poorly-conceived urge to explore this further and tracked down the prologue and first chapter of The Fellowship of the King for free (thankfully). 

The author, Demetrious Polychron, sells himself unsurprisingly on Stanek-esque levels of grandiosity and delivers about the same.  Affected whimsical writing desperately attempting to copy the tone of The Hobbit/the first chapters of The Fellowship of the Ring - check.  Horrendous prose - check.  Punctuation errors - check.  Misspellings (Erabor for Erebor, Michael Delving) - check.  Sam is referred to in the prologue as HMS Gamgee, HMS standing for Honourable Mayor of the Shire, but this isn't explained until later in the first chapter leaving the reader to wonder if the Royal Navy might not be getting into the action too. 

Re: the substance of the lawsuit, the story is set 22 years after the Lord of the Rings.  So far, the only overlap with RoP seems to be the use of the name Elanor. In Polychron's case it actually is Elanor Gamgee who teams up with her future husband Fastred, and then Elladan, Elrohir, Aragorn's son Eldarion, and one of Merry's kids. Evidently this new fellowship must thwart the return of Morgoth somehow.

On the topic of the Tolkien Estate, Alatar the Blue Wizard shows up in Chapter One with a message for Sam from King Elessar.  I believe any and all references in a published work in any medium cannot make reference to the content of Unfinished Tales, so perhaps Mr. Polychron has himself bitten off more than he can chew, let alone taking on Amazon.

Edited by Tongue Stuck to Wall
Fixed the last sentence.

1 hour ago, Tongue Stuck to Wall said:

Sam is referred to in the prologue as HMS Gamgee, HMS standing for Honourable Mayor of the Shire, but this isn't explained until later in the first chapter leaving the reader to wonder if the Royal Navy might not be getting into the action too. 

HMS Gamgee is the jolliest potato freighter in the Navy, AND a great nickname for your genitals (if you are not looking to ever have sex, ever).

12 hours ago, Ran said:

Some grifter has sued Amazon and the Tolkien Estate for $250 million, claiming that they largely ripped off his original vanity press novel which also appears to be a LotR fanfic 

My sides:

Thirteen Rings for Enchanted beings that swim, run and fly

Eleven for Dwarf and Elven lords wherever they may roam

Five for Mortal Warriors destined to die

One for the Bright Lord on his Golden Throne

In the East of Eregion, where the Misty Mountains lie

One King will gather them all, one King will unite them

One King will lead them against the evil that will smite them

In the Land of Mordor, they will triumph... or die

Apparently this is a list of everything he claims the show ripped off. 

Edited by Ser Drewy

2 hours ago, baxus said:

Also, who publishes this? Or is it self-published?

Using our copyrighted process, we guide our writers in creating compelling characters, original narratives and unique mythologies. We craft beautifully constructed manuscripts and use innovative promotion, sales and marketing strategies to bewitch, bejewel and bedazzle six second attention spans and get people reading and talking about our books.

Our goal: find authors whose visionary creativity deserves to reach the largest audience possible and provide innovative ways for them to get there.

For our readers, you get to experience our stories on whichever form of media or platform you prefer. But we don’t stop there. Get ready for multi-author, multi-series, multiversal story arcs like you’ve never seen before.

PREPARE TO BE SURPRISED AND DELIGHTED
Entertainment companies have created Shared Universes which spill from TV shows and movies into books. But no one has created a Shared Universe with multiple authors telling different stories that begin in different books and then characters jump from one writer’s epic storyline into another’s, meeting the other writer’s characters and playing decisive roles in each completely different universe.

Fractal Books is creating the world’s first Shared Universe that begins with multiple authors in a literary series of interrelated stories and books, culminating in a singularly rich multi-world, multiversal Omniverse you’ve never seen before.

This sounds like some sort of grift, and I'm thinking the fellow is the originator of the "publisher". So it's self-published, or maybe a vanity press.

I am not curious enough to torture myself reading this, but I'm sure some of you are:

Here's his friend "interviewing" him, but strangely it's just one comment and then cuts off.  Did his friend have more to say and he editing it out because it was unflattering?   I want to track this friend down and interview him!

When I found that channel yesterday it had only one subscriber.  Now it has 4.... I wonder if 3 lawyers just joined.

Edited by SpaceChampion

My sides x2:

All that is precious is not cherished

Yet love that is true will not fail

Not all the forgotten have perished

The one who believe will prevail.

Those tempered by fire do not burn

Yet not all broken hearts can be mended

Not all who were lost will return

But these Unfinished Tales will be ended

If not courage nor hope are relinquished

Great deeds will not go unrenowned

The Fallen will finally be vanquished

The Rings that were lost shall be found

Elanor Gamgee Gardner, daughter of Samwise and Rosie, was excited at the prospect of her upcoming two-and-twentieth party. For tween girls in the Shire, nothing short of a wedding was as exciting as the twenty-first anniversary of their birth.

All this undoubtedly on account of the Great Year of 1436. That was when the High King Elessar of the United Kingdoms of Arnor and Gondor, Queen Arwen, the princesses of Celendrian and her sisters met HMS Samwise, his wife the inimitable Rosie, their seven children; the Thain Peregrin Took, ruler of Tookland, his wife Diamond and their son Faramir; the Master Meriadoc Brandybuck ruler of Buckland, his wife Estella, sons Theoden and Boromir, and daughters Priscilla and Esmerelda; and many other hobbits of note.

Dear Eru above:

Dedicated to the life and work of John Ruel Ronald Tolkien and his son Christopher Tolkien.
If not for you, this would not be.

"Don't adventures ever have an end? I suppose not. Someone else always has to carry on the story." - J.R.R Tolkien, The Fellowship of the Ring

Edited by Ser Drewy

Yah know, given the quality of some of the story points in RoP, maybe there is a grain of truth here. One of the showrunners could have scoured the internet for ideas and came across his book.

Btw, he even makes a mistake in his list of showing what was plagiarized by calling episode 6 episode 7.

How can one just add themselves as an author to a book they didn't write on Amazon?

6 minutes ago, SpaceChampion said:

Sounds like he needs a psychiatric evaluation.

On that note, the one editorial review on Amazon for his fanfic book is this: 

"A truly amazing and brilliant piece of work. Such a huge undertaking and achievement!"
- Dr. Lydia Ruark, B.A. Religious Studies / Ph.D. Psychology

So he may be going to the wrong therapist.

And apparently his book was published on September 22, 2022.

Product details

• ASIN ‏ : ‎ B0BS3CVFF7
  • Publisher ‏ : ‎ Fractal Books; Large type / Large print edition (September 22, 2022)
  • Language ‏ : ‎ English
  • Hardcover ‏ : ‎ 383 pages
  • ISBN-13 ‏ : ‎ 979-8986410401

Half of RoP's episodes were already out by then. Case closed.

Now the Tolkien Estate can go after him for his plagiarizing and copyright infringement.