[Spoilers] Rings of Power 4: The Battle for Middle-Earth begins

Ser Drewy

5 hours ago, ASOIAFrelatedusername said:

How would you even store them on boats? Let alone feed them on the voyage.

Hannibal got elephants over the Alps. I expect the corsairs can manage mûmakil on giant transports. 

2 hours ago, ASOIAFrelatedusername said:

Elephants are a lot smaller than the Mumakil (as portrayed in the movies).

Also, if I recall correctly, only one Elephant made it into Italy.

I imagine that they could transport them on a big raft behind the main boat. Just like how they transported King Kong and the Statue of Liberty to New York.

The transportation of elephants on wooden ships is fully possible. Hannibal's elephants didn't just have to brave the Alps, they had a long journey that started in North Africa. How did they cross the Straights of Gibraltar?

And the Romans brought a lot of elephants back from their conquest Carthage later.

Sure a mûmakil is bigger, but in fantasy a lot is bigger. There are historical examples of enormous wooden galleys build for the glory of one emperor or another. Therefore, the same can be applied to the Corsairs of Umbar.

To close the Mumak discussion: I still don't think it's feasible that any of them participated in the attack on Rohan, especially since it wasn't that grand of a war compared to the War of the Ring or the War of the Last Alliance. My fear is that, following the Jacksonian tradition, the adaptation will attempt to go over the top and stuff a bunch of senseless spectacle into the story like what happened with the Hobbit movies.

1 hour ago, ASOIAFrelatedusername said:

My fear is that, following the Jacksonian tradition, the adaptation will attempt to go over the top and stuff a bunch of senseless spectacle into the story like what happened with the Hobbit movies.

Yeah, who would ever think anime and over the top action scenes would go together well?

40 minutes ago, baxus said:

Yeah, who would ever think anime and over the top action scenes would go together well?

I would have less problems of it being over the top if this was a genuinely new take on the source material. Instead it is shaping up to be more of the same with Boyens, Lee and Howe involved. Not to mention that the thing is produced by WB and New Line.

4 hours ago, ASOIAFrelatedusername said:

To close the Mumak discussion: I still don't think it's feasible that any of them participated in the attack on Rohan, especially since it wasn't that grand of a war compared to the War of the Ring or the War of the Last Alliance. My fear is that, following the Jacksonian tradition, the adaptation will attempt to go over the top and stuff a bunch of senseless spectacle into the story like what happened with the Hobbit movies.

I think that's just baked-in to Middle-Earth adaptations at this point. Like it won't surprise me if Helm Hammerhand backflips off a wall shooting arrows at Corsairs or runs up a Mumakil's trunk and punches one of the riders tbh. 

24 minutes ago, Ser Drewy said:

I think that's just baked-in to Middle-Earth adaptations at this point. Like it won't surprise me if Helm Hammerhand backflips off a wall shooting arrows at Corsairs or runs up a Mumakil's trunk and punches one of the riders tbh. 

He might just punch the Mumakil and knock it out, a la Mongo in Blazing Saddles.

20 hours ago, Tongue Stuck to Wall said:

He might just punch the Mumakil and knock it out, a la Mongo in Blazing Saddles.

Quite possible. Jackson had Legolas mind-control a troll by sticking a dagger in its brain, and cut-off hundreds of Orc heads whilst hanging upside down on a giant evil bat.  The bar for baffling nonsense has been set highly, tbh. 

Edited by Ser Drewy

6 hours ago, Ser Drewy said:

Quite possible. Jackson had Legolas mind-control a troll by sticking a dagger in its brain, and cut-off hundreds of Orc heads whilst hanging upside down on a giant evil bat.  The bar for baffling nonsense has been set highly, tbh. 

Also had Legolas defy physics by levitating over thick snow… 

oh wait thats fine it was in the book. :p

I wonder, since Celeborn is apparently missing for the moment and no mention of Celebrian, if they’ll have Galadriel and Elrond hook up and have Arwen? And later have Celeborn be found?

3 minutes ago, SpaceChampion said:

Aren't they related? 

Not sure, but in the books Elrond marries Galadrial/Celeborn’s daughter, Celebrian. Elrond and Celebrian had two sons and Arwen. Celebrian was captured and tortured by orcs, the trauma causing her to sail to the west.

Anyway, here’s Aragorn’s family tree. More of a circle..

4 hours ago, Derfel Cadarn said:

Also had Legolas defy physics by levitating over thick snow… 

oh wait thats fine it was in the book. :p

I wonder, since Celeborn is apparently missing for the moment and no mention of Celebrian, if they’ll have Galadriel and Elrond hook up and have Arwen? And later have Celeborn be found?

Tone is the issue rather than plausibility. 

Legolas walking atop snow has an ethereal quality to it. Legolas mind controlling trolls to smash stuff or surfing mumaks have a Fast and Furious thing about them. (I'm pretty 'eh' on OTT CGI stunts in general these days). 

I'm not really sure what they have planned for Celeborn. Or how they'll address his long absence with Galadriel's lack of interest in finding him. From memory, he didn't really feature into any of her motivations particularly. It's almost like they never thought about him until the scene with Theo oddly enough. I'm not sure they'd do a love triangle thing, or make Arwen a child of Galadriel. It's possible he'll randomly show up at some point in a dungeon or something possibly where Meteor Man is heading. Or Sauron will come across him and use him to try to manipulate Galadriel in some way,

24 minutes ago, SpaceChampion said:

Would anyone notice?

They can't do much worse.  It's even slightly possible some unknown person will step up and improve things.  At this point, I wonder if the new AIs should be given a crack at the writing.