Any predictions re Euron?

Castellan

I would be quite happy if the Greyjoys and the Iron Isles had not been included in the books. Apart from being vehicle for dragging in the Norse myth of Ragnorak into the foundations of ASOIF I really dislike the cliched lot of them. That said, has anyone got any ideas re what is ultimately going to happen to Euron, for example? Nutjob though he appears to be, might there be something in his belief he can harnass all the priests and necromancers he can find, take over the world, marry Dany? After all there are various other signs of seismic battles to come and 'magical' things stirring. Or is he just a fool in shiny fake armour?

I enjoy the Greyjoy theater for what it contributes thematically, and for giving us Asha while better contextualizing Theon. That said, it is also my least favorite overall, though I don't dislike it either. (Even if the Greyjoy nuncles suck.)

I almost want to wish that Euron will end up being an ineffectual nobody out of pettiness, because there are a lot of readers who seem to be obsessed with the purported "badassery" of what might end up being the most evil human character in the series. That said, I don't believe that at all; I think he will represent supernatural evil through the human side, as the Others will represent the... other supernatural evil, and the primary evil of the series.  

Euron's attempted apotheosis will fail. There are no doubts about that, thematically or narratively. Nor will we ever get confirmation that gods do or do not exist, so how could we ever see a human ascend to godhood? But will his mass sacrifices for dark magics fail? That's much unlikelier. I think it is entirely possible that he will invite some otherworldly abominations to Westeros, be they krakens or the stone dragon in Dany's vision, or some combination. 

As interesting as it can be, this aspect of the story is currently too speculative for my taste, so I haven't pondered it in great depth. I might think on the matter some more to see what Euron might do. I'm not at all convinced that he will take Oldtown, but I do believe it is a possibility that he will take control of King's Landing and strategic ports and thus -- at least nominally -- Westeros, which would be quite the problem!

Euron is destined for some great feat of evil. Whether it’s simply a massive blood magic sacrifice to bring down the Wall or all the way to becoming the leader of the Others he will have some major part to play.

The Iron Islands themselves are much like the Dothraki in that they are a caricature of the culture they emulate. Difference being that we get Ironborn POVs and no Dothraki ones.

Euron and Team Hightower (Lord Layton and Mad Maid) will wipe out themselves and everybody else who just happens to be too near them in massive magical duel. Or their spells will react violently and cause huge collateral damage when both of those teams attack each other using magic.

Euron is being built up so much that he has to either be the last big human villain (which would undermine the main players for the throne that we’ve already got) or he has to die in a surprising and possibly underwhelming way, as a subversion. I could buy either one happening to him.

Ah Euron.  I do anticipate him being the last great human villain.  In being so he will do things that transcend the damage of all the previous villains combined.  You cannot discount the idea that Euron has magical powers which the others did not.  He's got an edge.  As a greenseer, trained or not, he will be able to go places he's not invited, say into people and creatures.  We have seen sacrifices effect the seas and weather.  He apparently understands this and has sacrificed well.  Mel and Vic have only sacrificed people, Euron sacrifices priests and his own kin.  Will this make a difference?  With a tasty unborn baby hitched to the prow of the Silence, yes, I think any number of air or sea creatures might want to take advantage of a tasty meal like that right there for the taking.  Like what?  A kraken, a dragon, a shark, a fat hungry gull...  Then what?  Well, with such a creature close enough Euron could skinchange it and get off to all sorts of unpleasantness.  Varamyr only had 6 skins, imagine how many interesting skins Euron could collect.   Now imagine Euron skinchanging a kraken stoned out of his mind on shade of the evening.  There you go. 

Euron's intent is to make himself a god.  That's sort of new and shiny in this place where all we see are people wanting power.  This guy doesn't want stuff so I'm not sure what power is to him or even what a god means to him, but that's what he wants.  He enjoys the fear others have of him so I'm thinking destruction, darkness and doom.  And quiet, lots of quiet.     

5 hours ago, astarkchoice said:

At a bare minimum i wanna see how this v.steel armour does in combat

If all else fails, go for the eyes! 

In all honesty, Valyrian Steel armor is rare, but it's not, or at least shouldn't be much of a wondrous thing unlike the blades. Main feature of VS is being light and keeping an edge. Light, durable armor is still armor that you can crush with a warhammer etc.

1 hour ago, Corvo the Crow said:

In all honesty, Valyrian Steel armor is rare, but it's not, or at least shouldn't be much of a wondrous thing unlike the blades. Main feature of VS is being light and keeping an edge. Light, durable armor is still armor that you can crush with a warhammer etc.

It’s magic steel, so perhaps in armor form it’s more effective. Perhaps hammers can’t do anything to it

4 hours ago, Corvo the Crow said:

3 hours ago, King Benedict Justman I said:

It’s magic steel, so perhaps in armor form it’s more effective. Perhaps hammers can’t do anything to it

I'm thinking it's a safe bet that is magic steel and it does something special.  Brienne and Jon both note their swords make them better fighters.  Maybe VS armor enhances defense, can't be crushed or pierced, something along those lines, but something magical as well.  I don't see anything in Jon's dream that screams at me so I do hope he has another or even Euron puts the danged thing on so we get a good long look at it in action.  Maybe it floats.  

25 minutes ago, Curled Finger said:

Brienne and Jon both note their swords make them better fighter

Yes but isn't that because their swords are lighter and therefore easy to handle?

Actually, is a sword that is so light even good? Despite wanting it so much, never did fencing etc. Went to archery for a few weeks a few years back, can't remember the first thing about it now, but I remember noticing how there were several wrong things regarding archery in ASOIAF, so may very well be the same with swords too. In fact, there are some huge wrongs with armor now that I think of it, such as Jaime slashing through chainmail or worse even plate armor of several people to get to Jon.

Ah the Ironborn... I can't stand them. I like Asha, and I've developed some sympathy and empathy for Theon after ADwD for obvious reasons. The others... well, the Others take the others as far as I'm concerned. 

I think - or maybe wishful think - that whatever Euron's planning will backfire, hopefully spectacularly. And again hopefully, Vic will have died before that and Euron will use the Damphair in some horrific manner that will rid us all of the worst of all of the Ironborn before he himself is eaten alive by a kraken or, even better, a dragon. 

2 hours ago, kissdbyfire said:

Ah the Ironborn... I can't stand them. I like Asha, and I've developed some sympathy and empathy for Theon after ADwD for obvious reasons. The others... well, the Others take the others as far as I'm concerned. 

I think - or maybe wishful think - that whatever Euron's planning will backfire, hopefully spectacularly. And again hopefully, Vic will have died before that and Euron will use the Damphair in some horrific manner that will rid us all of the worst of all of the Ironborn before he himself is eaten alive by a kraken or, even better, a dragon. 

Oh c'mon, didn't you love the Ironborn who kept knocking Theon out every time he made a speech when he was taking over Winterfell? 

12 hours ago, Corvo the Crow said:

Yes but isn't that because their swords are lighter and therefore easy to handle?

Actually, is a sword that is so light even good? Despite wanting it so much, never did fencing etc. Went to archery for a few weeks a few years back, can't remember the first thing about it now, but I remember noticing how there were several wrong things regarding archery in ASOIAF, so may very well be the same with swords too. In fact, there are some huge wrongs with armor now that I think of it, such as Jaime slashing through chainmail or worse even plate armor of several people to get to Jon.

No it is because the swords are sentient after a fashion, truly magic.  Brienne and Jon are both good fighters.  They both believe their swords make them better fighters.  Brienne even credits OK with winning a few of her scuffles.  They are both amazed at their performances with Valyrian Steel.  

Didn't you ever read Discworld where Rincewind gets the magic sword and fights with Cohen the Barbarian?  Same prinicipal at play here. 

2 hours ago, kissdbyfire said:

This got me thinking, can Theon become an unsullied? He fills some of the prerequisites such as being a eunuch and having murdered children in front of their mothers, though his was not a newborn babe.

Archived