Badass Ned Appreciation Thread

Corvo the Crow

A thread dedicated to badass moments of Ned (Stark but Dayne also accepted).

What are some of his most badass moments?

For Starters:

"And now it begins," said Ser Arthur Dayne, the Sword of the Morning. He unsheathed Dawn and held it with both hands. The blade was pale as milkglass, alive with light.

"No," Ned said with sadness in his voice. "Now it ends." As they came together in a rush of steel and shadow, he could hear Lyanna screaming. "Eddard!" she called. A storm of rose petals blew across a blood-streaked sky, as blue as the eyes of death.

Not only is he saying to Arthur Dayne, deadliest knight all the 7K, it ends, putting the impertinent in his place when he says it starts, but also there is sadness in his voice, he genuinely feels sad for this guy whose ass he is about to kick. 

Resigning as Hand and walking out with Robert's threats ringing in his ears because he won't countenance Daenerys's murder.  Telling the king to go to hell over a matter of principle may not be wise, but it is ballsy.

5 hours ago, Phylum of Alexandria said:

Ned summing up Nice Guy Jorah in two lines.

"So the slaver has become a spy," Ned said with distaste. He handed the letter back. "I would rather he become a corpse."

What Varys doesn't tell, because Jorah isn't putting it in his reports, is that Nice Guy Jorah is also a Pedobear.

26 minutes ago, Curled Finger said:

Ned bucking the system and enrolling his wayward daughter in dancing lessons.  Very forward thinking guy. 

I was just coming here to mention about Ned letting Arya keep Needle.  Forgot about the dancing lessons. Good on ya Ned!

I don't know how "badass" it is, but one thing I truly appreciated about Ned is that he let his children be children. He didn't foster his sons or betroth his daughters at an early age because he wanted to keep his family close, given his what happened to his own father and siblings. This is very unique behavior from any lord, much less a lord paramount; but it's great to see. (I don't blame Cat for her reasonable dynastic ambitions, not least because she correctly linked it to stability and security, to be clear; and she did seem to align with Ned on this matter, until Robert came along and left them no real choice.)

This is a smaller thing than the stuff already mentioned, but it's a nice moment as well as powerful symbolism: The only time we see justice flow from the Iron Throne during the events of canon is when Ned sentenced the Mountain.

19 hours ago, Phylum of Alexandria said:

Ned summing up Nice Guy Jorah in two lines.

"So the slaver has become a spy," Ned said with distaste. He handed the letter back. "I would rather he become a corpse."

Agree. But shouldn’t “nice guy” be in quotation marks? He’s such a creep! 

20 minutes ago, Many-Faced Votary said:

It's capitalized because it's the slang term:

https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Nice Guy

Cheers, I'm familiar. Just don't think it's enough for Jorah! :lol:

Honestly, I'll never understand why so many readers like him, especially readers who like Dany! Another thing to blame the abomination for, w/ smooth talking Iain Glen acting nothing like book!Jorah. 

22 hours ago, Nevets said:

Resigning as Hand and walking out with Robert's threats ringing in his ears because he won't countenance Daenerys's murder.  Telling the king to go to hell over a matter of principle may not be wise, but it is ballsy.

To be fair thanks to moat caitlin he can have that attitude 

Basicaly "Yeah come north if you want fatass + bring as many men as you like......see how that  works out for you!" 

51 minutes ago, astarkchoice said:

To be fair thanks to moat caitlin he can have that attitude 

Basicaly "Yeah come north if you want fatass + bring as many men as you like......see how that  works out for you!" 

To be fair he isn't ravening Robert from Winterfell. He is in the Redkeep with a hundred guards, dozen knights and a captain of the guards of the queen, seven King's Guards, Old Gods know how many household guards of Robert, not even counting the 2000 gold cloaks of the city and thousands of sailors and marines from the navy and only has 46(50 departed from WF, 4 returned to bring back Lady's bones) or less fewer guards of his own. Balls of Valyrian Steel, I'd say but that would make it lighter.

52 minutes ago, Corvo the Crow said:

To be fair he isn't ravening Robert from Winterfell. He is in the Redkeep with a hundred guards, dozen knights and a captain of the guards of the queen, seven King's Guards, Old Gods know how many household guards of Robert, not even counting the 2000 gold cloaks of the city and thousands of sailors and marines from the navy and only has 46(50 departed from WF, 4 returned to bring back Lady's bones) or less fewer guards of his own. Balls of Valyrian Steel, I'd say but that would make it lighter.

Yeah my bad was remembering that robert had said if he quits and goes north again he may come after him  and root him out and ned was pretty much 'whatever'

Archived