Are People Taking Secret Identities Too Far?

Craving Peaches

2 minutes ago, Curled Finger said:

All those great "white sisters" ideas @Corvo the Crow is bandying about.  I love the idea of Weirwood Priestesses and the north not forgetting everything. 

Unfortunately it cannot go beyond the idea with evidence being quite lacking. Food for thought at best. But House of the Weirwood I think there's enough evidence for.

34 minutes ago, Craving Peaches said:

I know people get bored but some of these theories...do people really expect them to come true in the next book? Or are they just making them up? I would say it's a bit of both but some people take it really seriously...

I agree. Some are “genuine”, in the sense that they’re well thought out, well researched, use the text to support the claims being made. These are very few and very far between. I can think of a couple of theories that fit this description, by posters I like and enjoy reading; I do not agree w/ these theories, but I know I could be wrong and these posters could be right. We shall see. 
The vast majority however are rubbish, and based mostly on readers either wanting to see a twist come out of nowhere (not realising that that’s not a twist but an asspull) or brought about special snowflake syndrome, where someone wants to be that special snowflake that “found” something everyone else missed in 25+ years. 

7 minutes ago, Hugorfonics said:

Wait, who?

I don't know who the Elder Brother is, but kinda like the hooded man I don't really care for some reason. Halfhand was just a guy I think, but half maesters? I got no idea but I'm pretty sure his name's been mentioned before.

I'm like 99% sure Lemore is Ashara

I think what Mance said about himself is the truth. But I'm glad you mentioned him because I was super confused at first in adwd when all of a sudden some wildlings were yelling at Theon. It really boggled my mind when I finally realized Mance was the bard.

Also I definitely wasn't clever enough to realize Whitebeard was Barristan, even though Renly and Tyrion talked about how he's not done, I still didn't figure it out. And if it weren't for this place there's no chance in hell I'd figure out the dornish sphinx, and now that I can see that it definitely adds coolness to the story 

The little woods witch friend of Jenny's.  The one who thought it would be a great idea to tell a bunch of fire mad Targs TPTWP would be born of the Line of Aerys & Rhaella.  Ring a bell?  

My dude, different mysteries grab us all differently.  Gobble them up I say!  Enjoy them and puzzle them down to the most entertaining conclusion you can find.  I was near the end of my 2nd read with the forum and podcasts to explain stuff before anything really began to click.  It's a complicated story written by a mad man.  

I heard an interview with Martin once and he said he didn't know it was a mystery.  I can't remember if he was talking about the Hooded Man or the Pink Letter, but it stayed with me since I heard it.  The thrill is gone, though I don't think I ever thought anyone but Ramsay was behind the letter.  

17 minutes ago, LongRider said:

What I want to know is who is the 3EC?  Do we know who he is, who he really is?

Melisandre!

Jon let out a white breath. "He is not always so …"

"… warm? Warmth calls to warmth, Jon Snow." Her eyes were two red stars, shining in the dark. At her throat, her ruby gleamed, a third eye glowing brighter than the others. Jon had seen Ghost's eyes blazing red the same way, when they caught the light just right. "Ghost," he called. "To me."

The direwolf looked at him as if he were a stranger.

11 minutes ago, kissdbyfire said:

I agree. Some are “genuine”, in the sense that they’re well thought out, well researched, use the text to support the claims being made. These are very few and very far between. I can think of a couple of theories that fit this description, by posters I like and enjoy reading; I do not agree w/ these theories, but I know I could be wrong and these posters could be right. We shall see. 
The vast majority however are rubbish, and based mostly on readers either wanting to see a twist come out of nowhere (not realising that that’s not a twist but an asspull) or brought about special snowflake syndrome, where someone wants to be that special snowflake that “found” something everyone else missed in 25+ years. 

There is enough room for some of them to breath and be examined when genuinely addressed.  I like to have a laugh more than the next guy more often than not, but sometimes it's good to just sit and really ponder a character and possibility.   There is a lot of rubbish and there is a lot of rehashing and you're right, it's been a long time waiting for story to unravel.  But there are a few good discussions to be had yet.  

21 minutes ago, Curled Finger said:

I figure Septon Meribald and Elder Brother work with or for the same organization that probably works with or for some faction of the BwB.  He's someone.   He knows something.  

The EB speaks with GRRM's antiwar voice.  He may know the BWB for sure, but I don't see him going back to being 'knightly' or actual fighting.  Could, however, see him using the QI and his order to hide some folks and doctor some folks.  Agree that he knows more than something, he definitely knows many things and he certainly gave Brienne an earful. My hope is that if needed, Sansa and Sweet Robin, or Brienne and Jamie, will find their way to the QI, if needed and the story allows.

2 minutes ago, Curled Finger said:

There is enough room for some of them to breath and be examined when genuinely addressed.  I like to have a laugh more than the next guy more often than not, but sometimes it's good to just sit and really ponder a character and possibility.   There is a lot of rubbish and there is a lot of rehashing and you're right, it's been a long time waiting for story to unravel.  But there are a few good discussions to be had yet.  

Well, I'll open a thread just for you then. Right here right now. Though @LongRider is the one to thank for it, as she's just opened my eyes.

4 minutes ago, Corvo the Crow said:

Well, I'll open a thread just for you then. Right here right now. Though @LongRider is the one to thank for it, as she's just opened my eyes.

Oh I have a good many things to thank LongRider for.  Add it to my tab.  Looking forward to it then! 

6 minutes ago, LongRider said:

The EB speaks with GRRM's antiwar voice.  He may know the BWB for sure, but I don't see him going back to being 'knightly' or actual fighting.  Could, however, see him using the QI and his order to hide some folks and doctor some folks.  Agree that he knows more than something, he definitely knows many things and he certainly gave Brienne an earful. My hope is that if needed, Sansa and Sweet Robin, or Brienne and Jamie, will find their way to the QI, if needed and the story allows.

I know of a certain Lady in the Riverlands who happens to be with some knights who could all use some reminding about knights and their vows.  Me and my wishful wishing...

31 minutes ago, Corvo the Crow said:

Night must go darker for the third, I'm afraid.  Because it is full of terrors, and terrible knowledge.

Really, stop eating that spicy food so late at night, not good for digestion or sleep.

3 minutes ago, Corvo the Crow said:

Dornish alert!

Man, even the pups here like it. Well, some, and one eats raw jalapeños like they’re bacon! (He’s a very peculiar pup though lol)

11 minutes ago, kissdbyfire said:

Man, even the pups here like it. Well, some, and one eats raw jalapeños like they’re bacon! (He’s a very peculiar pup though lol)

My cousin had a dog, a big fat golden that would eat anything. Poor girl she was over 40 kilos, would take her running but it just wouldn't stop devouring any food on it's plate and then hound us for our food, climbing to table :rofl:

As for spicy food, I LIKE spicy food, my stomach does not agree with me though. Can't disagree with it since like sour food better anyway sour apples, grapefruits, oranges...

1 hour ago, Curled Finger said:

The little woods witch friend of Jenny's.  The one who thought it would be a great idea to tell a bunch of fire mad Targs TPTWP would be born of the Line of Aerys & Rhaella.  Ring a bell?  

Woah. Wait it's the friend or is it her? The old lady who scared Arya, she used to... have flowers in her hair?

My dude, different mysteries grab us all differently.  Gobble them up I say!  Enjoy them and puzzle them down to the most entertaining conclusion you can find.  I was near the end of my 2nd read with the forum and podcasts to explain stuff before anything really began to click.  It's a complicated story written by a mad man.  

Lol that it is

I heard an interview with Martin once and he said he didn't know it was a mystery.  I can't remember if he was talking about the Hooded Man or the Pink Letter, but it stayed with me since I heard it.  The thrill is gone, though I don't think I ever thought anyone but Ramsay was behind the letter.

Yea I never gave thought into the hooded man until I came here.

And agreed, the pink letter totally seems like it was written im Ramsay style

Archived