Are People Taking Secret Identities Too Far?

Craving Peaches

36 minutes ago, James Arryn said:

Unless…are you from Florida? 

But… isn’t Georgia the Peach [Tree Dish] state? I’m so very confised now… :blink:

ETA: aaaah just saw the wiki link

1 hour ago, Corvo the Crow said:

And what explanation do you have for her red eyes? Have we seen any non-albino's with red eyes? 

Dude, Clydas has pink eyes.  My daughter's eyes are the same color as her red hair.  No kidding, it is stunning.  Red happens.  I love yolkboy's The Red Star Bleeding theory.  It's beautifully written and thoughtful and really fun to read.  Doesn't make it true, just really interesting until we know what it is.  Like everything else we find interesting and don't know if true or not yet.  

58 minutes ago, Mourning Star said:

Maybe we are just talking past each other... I thought this was in the context of guessing a secret identity before it was revealed, so in this case before Bloodraven shows up as himself.

If the bar is just recognizing the reveal after it is on the page, I'm still not sure the average reader gets this example, but it's a much lower bar, and the point I was trying to illustrate.

Theories about an incomplete series, and future reveals, one would expect to be less easily recognizable. And obviously, even when recognized, there would be no proof available.

I like the Maynard example, because it isn't ever really proven, but is still widely agreed on.

I'm still not sure I get that Maynard Plumm is Bloodraven, but I roll with it.  Everyone, including you, knows I'm not a great detective.  I pick up on the odd thing here and there.  For some reason I understood that something was different about Tyrion's Lannisterishness that clicked when Selmy was telling Dany about Aerys.  I didn't understand the Hound was dead.  This doesn't mean I'm in any way right about Tyrion Targaryen but it does mean that I am open to arguments.  I don't think I am a average reader, either.  I learn something new with each reread, Sever Hells, I learn something every week just hanging out here.  

That's not me being dumb or humble.  I've solved some of the more um, arcane mysteries that interest me.  I know who wrote the Pink Letter, I know who will wield which (most) swords and think I have a good handle on why The Others are back.  Maybe a few other things.  I don't necessarily understand all Martin's tricks for he uses many, but he doesn't get me every time.  Just most of the time!   I think the bold there is precisely why we have forums.

2 hours ago, Craving Peaches said:

I do expect good writing from the series. I do not consider someone being revealed to have a secret identity good writing if there are no hints of some variety in the text that could lead you to suspect it. I am not saying we should all be able to guess exactly. But there should be some sign. Otherwise it comes entirely out of the left field and looks like stuff is being made up for shock value.

Agreed. But George doesn’t put a sticker on the front of the books that tells us their ‘difficulty level’. That’s the beauty of them. Good writing will leave traces of clues for us to pick up on, but who is to say whether any of us are good enough readers to notice them? 

36 minutes ago, Curled Finger said:

Dude, Clydas has pink eyes.  My daughter's eyes are the same color as her red hair.  No kidding, it is stunning.  Red happens.  I love yolkboy's The Red Star Bleeding theory.  It's beautifully written and thoughtful and really fun to read.  Doesn't make it true, just really interesting until we know what it is.  Like everything else we find interesting and don't know if true or not yet.  

Pink would be more reminiscent of Valyrian's eyes (Clydas is Rhaegar confirmed!) As for your daughter, what shade of red is her red hair? There's red and then there's strawberryblondes and auburns etc. 

1 minute ago, King Benedict Justman I said:

Pyp is a secret Blackfyre

Obviously.

The evening meal was almost done by the time he and Ghost reached the common hall. A group of the black brothers were dicing over mulled wine near the fire. His friends were at the bench nearest the west wall, laughing. Pyp was in the middle of a story. The mummer's boy with the big ears was a born liar with a hundred different voices, and he did not tell his tales so much as live them, playing all the parts as needed, a king one moment and a swineherd the next.

Jon IV, A Game of Thrones

Black brothers near a fire to contextualize Pyp there? Who happens to be a born liar playing the part of a king? This is a telegraphed Blackfyre Pretender.

1 hour ago, Curled Finger said:

Are you going to theorize she Melisandre, a Targaryen or Clydas? 

I'm going theorize that she is Varys's twin sister, he of the heart shaped face.

Varys is Santa. After all

1. He knows who is naughty or nice.

2. He has an army of small people.

3. He uses his sledge and chimneys to move around.

4. He wants to gain back his original stronghold at North Pole that he lost b4 Long Night when his workers rebelled and castrated him.

Archived