Star Wars: Go home (M)Ando(r), the Zillo Beast Is Back (Again!)

Lord Varys

Yeah it's as I feared. Disney have completely taken over the Mandalorian. I knew this was happening after they blunt-forced Baby Yoda back into the storyline in Book of Boba Fett.

Now we've got to deal with Baby Yoda in every frigging scene, almost in every frigging shot, doing something "cute" so Disney can keep selling their plushies.

Personally I always found Baby Yoda annoying, only interesting part of his story was when Luke came to get him, but now that great ending of Mandalorian season 2 had been rendered redundant. I was pretty sure at the time that was the high point of the series and it would go downhill from there.

I mean, why is Djinn flying a stupid Naboo Starfighter around? No one lives in a star fighter. Where does he sleep? Where is he gonna keep his cargo? It's so obviously a merchandising decision cause someone at Disney thought a fighter with Baby Yoda in the R2D2 position would make a cool toy.

9 minutes ago, Myrddin said:

Since I see everyone here is such a fan of Grogu, I recommend you don't google Mandalorian and look in the lower right corner...

Not just look, but misuse the Force to break the page. mwahahaha 

4 hours ago, Darryk said:

I mean, why is Djinn flying a stupid Naboo Starfighter around? No one lives in a star fighter. Where does he sleep? Where is he gonna keep his cargo? It's so obviously a merchandising decision cause someone at Disney thought a fighter with Baby Yoda in the R2D2 position would make a cool toy.

I kind of see this because the Razor Crest was pretty crap for any kind of dogfight, and he did seem to be running into dogfight situations more and more often. The Naboo fighter is much better for that, but it's rubbish for actually carrying captives around or anything like that. The RC presumably is far more fuel-efficient because he can pick up 4 bounties at once, shove them into carbon freeze, then pick up another 4 before he needs to collect. But if he doesn't think he needs to go back to bounty hunting, it's not a problem. But then how is he paying for fuel, food, blaster clips or anything else?

It feels a bit "the character read the script," where the only logical reason Mando made that decision is because he read the script and knows the Naboo fighter will be more useful than Razor Crest 2.0.

So yeah, mediocre opening, but Bad Batch was very good. I was not expecting Star Wars to go so hard on doing Alien (before it abruptly transformed into Pacific Outer Rim) but they went there.

That also makes me think they need to go back and get that massive death mech thing from earlier in the season to fight the huge space monster at some point.

4 minutes ago, Werthead said:

I kind of see this because the Razor Crest was pretty crap for any kind of dogfight, and he did seem to be running into dogfight situations more and more often

They should have given him a freighter with a fighter attached. Now THAT would make an awesome toy.

11 minutes ago, Darryk said:

They should have given him a freighter with a fighter attached. Now THAT would make an awesome toy.

I am wondering if that's the direction they're going in, he'll end up with a larger ship when his Naboo fighter can attach to.

8 minutes ago, Darryk said:

Reminds me of a Japanimation show I watched as a kid: G-Force/Battle of the Planets/Gatchaman.

A Star Wars version of the Phoenix with the four vehicles would definitely sell toys. Or at least have just the fighter docking in the back.

40 minutes ago, Darryk said:

28 minutes ago, Werthead said:

I am wondering if that's the direction they're going in, he'll end up with a larger ship when his Naboo fighter can attach to.

Din is sadistic enough that he'll just have a ring, like the hyper space ring used by Jedi starfighters, with people frozen in carbonite attached to it, and the Naboo starfighter in the center.

But yeah, I'm not sure he did much bounty hunting in this "2 year" period. Maybe he just took kill the target bounties. In The Book of Boba Fett he killed that guy in the butcher's shop and took his head to some gangster. So the bounty had been local. 

Season 3's trailer did suggest he may get another ship:

Spoiler

a Mandalorian Gauntlet Fighter which is much larger

I guess I just don't see him, ya know, doing bounties any more. He wasn't really doing bounties after Grogu anyway so it's not that big a deal. The only reason he had been doing bounties was to support the covert...uh, covertly, and when they got revealed and crushed he didn't need to make money that way. 

I do kind of love the idea of him having to schlep around the galaxy taking busses everywhere he goes. 

The first ep was otherwise a pretty incoherent mess of recapping a different show and jumping from setup to setup inorganically. Why does he need a droid? Why does he need THAT droid? If he needs it so bad, why is he going to see Bo-Katan? Why is he going to visit the covert when he already knows what he needs to do? What the hell is that whole garbage with the Pizza The Hutt pirate? It's just an inorganic mess, and seeing this after seeing Andor makes me pretty sad.

1 hour ago, Kalnestk Oblast said:

The first ep was otherwise a pretty incoherent mess of recapping a different show and jumping from setup to setup inorganically.

Why does he need a droid? To explore the surface of a presumed "poisoned" i.e. nuked planet.

Why does he need THAT droid? If he needs it so bad, why is he going to see Bo-Katan? Because he still has trust issues when it comes to droids and IG-11 was the only one he developed any sort of bond with. Also the IG units are the toughest droids we've seen so far in SW so see previous answer. 

Not sure why he needed to go to Bo-Katan at that point, but IG-11 needs a rare, critical part, so maybe he wanted to use her resources to find it. And maybe he wants backup for his venture to Mandalore.

Why is he going to visit the covert when he already knows what he needs to do? Mainly to confirm that they will accept him back if he risks his life to go to Mandalore and do all that religious nonsense.

What the hell is that whole garbage with the Pizza The Hutt pirate? A brand new character and species. Is that so wrong? Star Wars fans sigh... Plus to show that getting the Naboo starfighter wasn't a waste of time. ;)

It's just an inorganic mess, and seeing this after seeing Andor makes me pretty sad.

I'm sorry, but anybody who expected this show, still written and produced by the same guys, to suddenly jump to the quality of Andor is delusional. The Mandalorian may not be an objectively great show, but it's good Star Wars, and it always has been. And I'll have you know that inorganic materials can have some amazing structures. :P

I admit to being one of the masses who bought a Grogu merch (in my case, a funko pop bobble head that I had on my dashboard for that first summer).

That said, holy crap that first episode was dumb. Yeck. I forgot to ever watch the 3 relevant episodes on Boba Fett - which I quit after maybe a half hour. Now I'm feeling like I might just do what I've generally done with Marvel and Rings of Power; not feel much guilt at all for skipping it.

Just 5 minutes into the first episode of this season and it really hit home just how stupid a concept Mandolorians are. Watching the high priestess forging a new power ranger helmet for that kid while a bunch of other power rangers stood around acting all serious, not seeing the ridiculousness of a culture based on looking like power rangers. 

Kind of stopped there. I preferred this show when it was some spaghetti western rip off.

4 hours ago, Kalnestk Oblast said:

The first ep was otherwise a pretty incoherent mess of recapping a different show and jumping from setup to setup inorganically. Why does he need a droid? Why does he need THAT droid?

Because Din doesn't trust droids, except IG-11. He needs a droid because Mandalore is supposedly inhospitable to humans: he has reason to doubt that but a droid could tolerate the reported conditions.

If he needs it so bad, why is he going to see Bo-Katan?

To get the location of the waters.

Why is he going to visit the covert when he already knows what he needs to do?

To confirm that they will accept him back if he does it.

The last two points especially are explicitly confirmed in dialogue and the first is not tricky to infer from what we already know. The show has its faults but it isn't really fair to say confusion over these points are among them.

What the hell is that whole garbage with the Pizza The Hutt pirate? It's just an inorganic mess, and seeing this after seeing Andor makes me pretty sad.

Why? Andor's a completely different kind of show. OK, it's set in the same universe, but it's not trying to do the same thing, and the comparison isn't interesting or informative. It's like complaining that watching Batman: The Animated Series  after reading The Dark Knight made you sad.

Heh, I guess that I am easily amused, because while this episode was somewhat disjointed and clearly a set-up I... liked it? It certainly wetted my appetite. I am also all for having more aliens, however goofy. It is sad that they still can't find their way to using aliens in serious drama like Andor 30 years after Babylon 5, but I'll take what I can get. Grogu is adorable and gets more and more expressive, which is a developement I endorse.

I mean, it is obvious that shoving those 2  Mando episodes into Boba was a serious misstep that resulted in this episode being like it is, but I am intrigued by what they seem to be putting in motion.

Bad Batch, OTOH, continues to frustrate me. These last 2 episodes had their virtues, but plotting continues to be very stupid even for a kid's show and the kid I watch it with thinks so too. They  sent that thief boy off with Omega without promising him anything in return? Not passage elsewhere, not location of those rich deposits from the previous episode? Then were surprised by his inevitable betrayal? BTW they also didn't try to entice Cid to pick them up in the first place by telling her about these riches just waiting to be plucked? And much though I appreciated the sudden critique of capitalism, this hellhole being  "home" when all the mine population seems to consist of teenage boys, clearly brought from somewhere else, seemed very weird.

Ditto despite liking the Alien homage, the re-appearance of Zillo Beast and being intrigued by what Palpatine is trying to accomplish with it, I don't understand why the crew are still pursuing hair-brained missions for Cid, when they found the rich ore deposits a couple of episodes back. Why isn't Cid making out like a bandit from these deposits, for that matter? Are they now going to pretend that they never found them? Like they are now pretending that Nala Se and the prime minister are the only surviving Kaminoans? Despite there being implied that most Kaminoans and young clones managed to evacuate back in season 1 and even after a recent ret-con having the ex-senator confirm that there are some other survivors. Continuity, what is that? Sigh. And now it is back to people gunning for Omega _yet again_. Can't they come up with something less repetitive?

On 3/3/2023 at 8:54 AM, Relic said:

Borderline unwatchable. 

ESB/RotJ - Boba Fett - from Mandalore, a badass with a cool helmet that dies, more or less, as a joke.

AotC - Boba Fett is the son/clone of Jango Fett who is the model for millions/billions of clone soldiers. Which explains how badass Boba Fett is (kind of)

Mandalorian - uh, these people fucking worship their helmets. The make little ones for kids and tell them to never take the off. They look so cool.

It's an embarrassing through-line of extrapolation of a story, world, and society based on one cool helmet.

5 minutes ago, Week said:

ESB/RotJ - Boba Fett - from Mandalore, a badass with a cool helmet that dies, more or less, as a joke.

AotC - Boba Fett is the son/clone of Jango Fett who is the model for millions/billions of clone soldiers. Which explains how badass Boba Fett is (kind of)

Mandalorian - uh, these people fucking worship their helmets. The make little ones for kids and tell them to never take the off. They look so cool.

It's an embarrassing through-line of extrapolation of a story, world, and society based on one cool helmet.

Ugh.. the one time I agree with you on anything. Its ridiculous that we are a point where there is like a whole in-universe religion / culture based off of how cool a toy looked in the 80s.  

1 hour ago, Heartofice said:

Ugh.. the one time I agree with you on anything. Its ridiculous that we are a point where there is like a whole in-universe religion / culture based off of how cool a toy looked in the 80s.  

Boba Fett kinda is the reason so much of the nostalgia Fandom of the 80s ruined things for the rest of us... and I love my 80s pop culture...

Archived