Star Wars: Go home (M)Ando(r), the Zillo Beast Is Back (Again!)

Lord Varys

28 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:
  Hide contents

So… Bo-Katan has successfully won back the Dark Sabre as Din lost it after being captured… right?

She didn't seem interested in arguing that point. And it's not like the Elder Wand.

6 hours ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:
  Reveal hidden contents

So… Bo-Katan has successfully won back the Dark Sabre as Din lost it after being captured… right?

Yea I wondered the same. I’m not sure whether she’d agree that that ‘counts’, but the show purposefully reminded us that she can wield it and Mando can’t. 

The first episode, I could imagine that she sat on her throne as she’d already been told Mando was arriving … but here she’s still just sat there. So she spends her life staring at the wall on that chair now I guess.

Good episodes from both series. It was rather considerate of the Empire to glass Mandalore, but leave Bo-Katan's moon and castle alone, given that she was the leader of the local rebellion against it. She is also a huge hypocrite speaking about how she hates watching Mandalorians fight against each other, when she has been all for "the right of the strongest to rule", constantly tested by in-fighting and majorly contributed to this situation in her youth. I hope that they are going to adress this and her relationship with Satine, after eliding the fact that her father wasn't the only one who died defending Mandalore in her immediate family in this episode. I wonder where this is all going - they can't lock Din down by making him a  planetary/nation leader and Bo-Katan has already failed at ruling her people a few times...

Also, Din used to live on one of the planets in the system? Does it mean that he is actually a Mandalorian by birth, as well as adoption? Or did the helmet cult de-camp from that planet after the glassing of Mandalore and never returned for some reason, although the Empire hadn't done anything to their world?

Love the Crosshair episodes in Bad Batch, since they tend to have some substance to them. Not sure why he was in the dog-house after the very successful completion of the anti-insurgent mission, including unhesitating execution of a prisoner on command - too close to Rampart and tarnished by his fall? I mean it is clear that they wanted to show that despotic systems are happy to grind down their faithful, no matter how devoted, but you'd think that the Empire would have plenty of work for such a skilled killer. Also, it was rather funny that the clone commander was jealous of the new stormtrooper equipment, given how terrible we know it to be. I guess that the new officers come out of accelerated training courses? IMHO, it was a missed opportunity (and cost-saving measure?) for the TCW not to have non-clone, non-Jedi military personal, who ought to have later become the backbone of imperial army,  except for the unexplicable admirals.

4 hours ago, Denvek said:

Given that this is the Star Wars universe where everyone knows each other, I'm assuming that Mando's new R5 unit is the same one that broke after Luke tried to buy it from the Jawas in New Hope.

Yes, you can see the burn marks on top of its head where the motivator blew out. They had that little detail from the first time we met Peli Motto.

And while this may seem like another case of fan service (it was at first) they did a nice job establishing that Peli has a good relationship with Jawas, so it makes sense for her to have it.

17 hours ago, sifth said:

What was the deal with the lighting this week? I could hardly see anything that was happening.

I had no problem at all, I see it in HDR. Not sure if that makes a difference.

One question, and I guess I could have watched it again or rewound it. 

Spoiler

Where Grogu and the Droid sit, when the ship is flying you see a "jet" engine right below them. Yet when the droid was dropped out of the ship it went straight down.... did I miss something?

I liked seeing Mandalore, or the remains of it.  

Spoiler

One thing though is I wish they hadn't done the whole Grogu is scared of the flying alligator thing on the second trip. I'd rather they showed him look at it, it growling and him force flick it to teach it a lesson. He clearly knows he can handle it since he handled the shrek monster at the mouth of the entrance.  But again, he is a child, so child like fears make sense.  Also why did Mando drop so fast in the water? His metal is supposedly light otherwise he wouldn't be able to fight in it.

5 minutes ago, dbunting said:

I had no problem at all, I see it in HDR. Not sure if that makes a difference.

One question, and I guess I could have watched it again or rewound it. 

Hide contents

Where Grogu and the Droid sit, when the ship is flying you see a "jet" engine right below them. Yet when the droid was dropped out of the ship it went straight down.... did I miss something?

I liked seeing Mandalore, or the remains of it.  

Hide contents

One thing though is I wish they hadn't done the whole Grogu is scared of the flying alligator thing on the second trip. I'd rather they showed him look at it, it growling and him force flick it to teach it a lesson. He clearly knows he can handle it since he handled the shrek monster at the mouth of the entrance.  But again, he is a child, so child like fears make sense.  Also why did Mando drop so fast in the water? His metal is supposedly light otherwise he wouldn't be able to fight in it.

Spoiler

Why weren’t Bo-Katan and Din crushed by the pressure of the waters at what seemed a fairly serious depth?

I removed the spoilers as they're not significant.

27 minutes ago, dbunting said:

Also why did Mando drop so fast in the water? His metal is supposedly light otherwise he wouldn't be able to fight in it.

Because he's not a WITCH!!! (or in this case a Jedi)

We don't know the density of beskar, but the density of normal steel is much greater than water, so steel sinks. And that's probably fresh water. It's a common misconception that people in steel armor would be overburdened and struggle in a fight.

20 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

Why weren’t Bo-Katan and Din crushed by the pressure of the waters at what seemed a fairly serious depth?

I really don't think it was that deep. She arrived there in seconds, not minutes. Besides, the armor probably helps. And not to dismiss your questioning because "it's fantasy dude" but the Mando helmet somehow allows one to breathe in a toxic atmosphere if necessary (or in space I believe) without any oxygen tank attached. So yeah, not being crushed at a few hundred feet of depth is not a big deal.

4 minutes ago, Corvinus85 said:

I really don't think it was that deep. She arrived there in seconds, not minutes. Besides, the armor probably helps. And not to dismiss your questioning because "it's fantasy dude" but the Mando helmet somehow allows one to breathe in a toxic atmosphere if necessary (or in space I believe) without any oxygen tank attached. So yeah, not being crushed at a few hundred feet of depth is not a big deal.

Bo-Katan was using her rocket pack to decend and search at speed.  It was fairly deep.

54 minutes ago, Relic said:

Assumed he was pulled down by the Mythosaur

I assumed the same, but then why release him and why not grab her? I guess we will have to tune in next week to find out.

@dbunting you're right about there being an engine below the droid port on the N1 starfighter. But I think it retracts. There seems to be a chamber in which the engine can retract with only the nozzle remaining visible based on the shot when R5 drops. Too bad they never showed the mechanism; it wouldn't be much different than all the craft with foldable wings.

Btw, I'm pretty sure the bottom of the port is used to load Grogu's pod, because it's the only place where it fits. When Grogu flees, he jumps into the cockpit, with the pod seemingly left behind. Except when he returns with Bo-Katan, he's in his pod inside Bo's ship. We could easily consider this lazy writing, but I'd like to reason that the pod has an auto-dock feature and it moves by itself inside the droid port.

I really wanted Bo-Katan to say to Grogu, "You know I don't speak spanish."

Besides that I enjoyed the tried and true Disney way of making other characters look good by making one (who seemed good previously) incompetent.

holy this show is fucking stupid lol

11 hours ago, Denvek said:

Given that this is the Star Wars universe where everyone knows each other, I'm assuming that Mando's new R5 unit is the same one that broke after Luke tried to buy it from the Jawas in New Hope.

One of my pet peeves is that the naming conventions imply that there are an unfeasibly small number of astromechs (assuming each designation, like R2-D2, is unique, and everyone consistently acts as if they are). So probably, since there aren't enough of them to go round!

2 hours ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:
  Hide contents

Because this never happens in any media unless the writers specifically decide it does. 

1 hour ago, Slurktan said:

I really wanted Bo-Katan to say to Grogu, "You know I don't speak spanish."

Besides that I enjoyed the tried and true Disney way of making other characters look good by making one (who seemed good previously) incompetent.

holy this show is fucking stupid lol

I agree that bad writing tends to include this method, but I'm not sure how Din was incompetent in this episode. What, because he didn't realize that the stairs were going to end into a big plunge as he walked into the dark water reciting his creed? 

2 minutes ago, Corvinus85 said:

I agree that bad writing tends to include this method, but I'm not sure how Din was incompetent in this episode. What, because he didn't realize that the stairs were going to end into a big plunge as he walked into the dark water reciting his creed? 

He almost got killed by random scavengers. He then blundered into a trap and used like none of his weapons against a big robot droid, and then couldn't escape by himself. And then he just walked into the water off a cliff. Compare this behavior to his ninja skills on the prison ship or his ability to fight hordes of dorks in the first ep, or how bad-ass he was in Boba Fett and he seems pretty weaksauce. 

Hell, the whole plot about resurrecting IG-11 was incredibly stupid. Instead of requiring a super sturdy droid of awesomeness he just rolled the dice with an astromech, and that was...fine. What was the point of any of that plot to go to Nevarro? And his route is 'go to Nevarro to try and get droid, go to Mandalore because...uh, go to Tattoine to get part, go back to Mandalore again'. So dumb.

55 minutes ago, dbunting said:

I keep waiting for a clear bubble dome to come up and cover him. It could make sense to protect it since I assume that thing is made for babies?

I'm gonna go out on a limb and state that a self-propelled unit that can fly at the driver's command is not, actually, made for babies

Archived