Star Wars: Go home (M)Ando(r), the Zillo Beast Is Back (Again!)

Lord Varys

Wow, this dialog is atrocious. Filoni has definitely captured the spirit of the prequel trilogy. 

And yeah, going back to coruscant after seeing it in Andor...ouch. Really makes you see the difference and limitations of the volume. It reminded me of the cutscenes in command and conquer - dark scenes with point lights are not it's strong suit. Nor are interiors.

What did we not need to see in Star Wars?

Well-meaning Mon Calamari New Republic secret police guys who give off fascist vibes.

That kind of thing just sucks.

On 3/9/2023 at 4:04 PM, Kalnestk Oblast said:

Compare this behavior to his ninja skills on the prison ship or his ability to fight hordes of dorks in the first ep, or how bad-ass he was in Boba Fett and he seems pretty weaksauce.

I'm not arguing that the show is consistent, but I started the series over and in the first episode he's beaten by some lizards and has to be saved by nick nolte. He hasn't even gotten to the bounty yet. If he'd gotten there alone he'd be killed, it's only his reluctant partnership with not BB-88 that saves him.

Then he's fucked by the Jawas and again nick nolte has to save him.

Then he almost gets fucked by a space rhino and baby grogu has to save him. 

Having a badass moment doesn't make you infallible or invincible, or at least it shouldn't. There's a So Spake Martin where a fan asked him for the millionth time who would win in a duel and he said something like the best swordsman can have an off day, and his enemy can be lucky. No one should go into battle lightly, or certain. 

Or to quote Goldeneye "Half of everything is luck." 

8 hours ago, Corvinus85 said:

Yeah, Coruscant in the Volume does not look great compared to desolate Mandalore in the last episode.

Coruscant looked absolutely awful. So incredibly fake and sterile. Very much Attack of the Clones to Andor's Empire Strikes back. 

Edited by Relic

I liked this episode of "The Mandalorian" a lot. But then, I think that the New Republic period and whatever went down there could be a fascinating topic. I am always irritated by the usual assumption in fiction  that a successful revolution is a happy ending that guarantees a better future, when historically it is at best an intermediary step, with a lot of backsliding and struggle along the way to actually get to the "better" part and at worst can actually create an even more terrible status quo. That is not to say that revolutions can't be necessary and inevitable, of course.

But I feel that ST's attempt to create a soft re-boot of OT unintentonally opened up this  potentially interesting and fresh thematic area. Whether they actually do it justice, well... And yes, it is tragic for the OT main characters. But it is also... true to life? And makes Leia, who never wavered, even more heroic.

Anyway, given that Coruscant is supposed to have terrible slums deep underground, these Imperials undergoing rehabilitation are getting a pretty good deal. I also didn't see whatever unexcusable visual sins this version of Coruscant is supposed to posess. But then, I always was on Babylon 5 side of the B5/Star Trek dichotomy - I want lots exotic locales and space action in my SF/space opera, even if they are shown via dodgy CGI.

I am  disappointed that helmet cult are apparently faithful to a genuine culture tenet from the past, rather than being extremists. This is just stupid - a nation couldn't exist with this limitation. Even if it used to be just for the warrior caste,  conducting real wars should have been  pretty unthinkable like this. And I very much hope that this it isn't where they are going for the Mandalorians in general. There is, of course, a clear incentive to keep Din helmeted, but this can be achieved via some eventual compromise of "live and let live" variety, surely? Also, it seemed odd that the Empire left Bo's castle alone in the past and that it had no automated  protections whatsoever.

The Bad Batch episode was a pretty nothing. It set up a new home port and Cid turning on them, I guess.

17 minutes ago, Kalnestk Oblast said:

Also, why does the medical device formerly used to flay minds and now used to make people high have a 'ludicrously mind flaying' setting? I appreciate the continued devotion to star wars' longstanding aesthetic of no safety no matter what

Leaving people by themselves with the “Ludicrous mind flaying” machine is also… insane.

Good episode for me.

There's just something about coruscant that always seems to scratch an itch in regards to worldbuilding for me...

I’d rather Star Wars focused on this being the main planet every show visits rather than Tatooine. There’s still so much of Coruscant to explore.

3 hours ago, Darryk said:

Weird episode but I was okay with it.

Bo Katan is crazy to buy into this weird cult, she must be playing the long game.

Bo Katan used to be a member of the weird cult.

3 hours ago, Kalnestk Oblast said:

Also, why does the medical device formerly used to flay minds and now used to make people high have a 'ludicrously mind flaying' setting? I appreciate the continued devotion to star wars' longstanding aesthetic of no safety no matter what

I guess the higher settings could be for use on different species who might be less sensitive to it than humans are.

3 hours ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

Leaving people by themselves with the “Ludicrous mind flaying” machine is also… insane.

It's also a bit weird that undercover agents get to watch medical procedures.

I did like the episode overall, even if it did feel like two completely unrelated episodes sandwiched together.

I liked the episode, it felt like Andor to me. Seems like we get Gideon back at some point. Maybe he defeats Din and takes the Dark Saber back then later Bo kills Gideon and reclaims the Saber and her right as ruler, and takes them back to rebuild Mandalore? 

9 hours ago, dbunting said:

I liked the episode, it felt like Andor to me. Seems like we get Gideon back at some point. Maybe he defeats Din and takes the Dark Saber back then later Bo kills Gideon and reclaims the Saber and her right as ruler, and takes them back to rebuild Mandalore? 

Sort of “Andor lite” though…