Star Wars: Go home (M)Ando(r), the Zillo Beast Is Back (Again!)

Lord Varys

Why does it seem like any creature who isn't a human or humanoid alien/robot, is unaffected by blasters in this universe? I feel like they shoot these creatures hundreds of times and it doesn't even slow them down.

3 hours ago, DaveSumm said:

I’m not sure I understand calling an episode ‘filler’. It’s just that kind of show, it’s mostly filler. I probably prefer the standalone episodes to ‘season arc’ episodes.

It was a nice reminder that Mandalorians are pretty damn cool, grappling guns and jet packs and blasters? Pretty damn cool. Although it felt like the effects budget was stretched a little, the Coruscant scenes didn’t feel up to the usual standard, nor Grogu’s flip, and a few others. 

As long as we don’t go back to “reset button” -0- continuity television I can deal with the occasionally bottle episode.  I’m simply so tired of “the Enterprise saves the Universe in one hour” then never mentions doing it again… television.

7 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

I’m simply so tired of “the Enterprise saves the Universe in one hour” then never mentions doing it again… television.

Well good news, it’s 2023 and there’s barely any of those. Arcs are all the rage. I found the mission-of-the-week format of the first season quite refreshing.

9 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

As long as we don’t go back to “reset button” -0- continuity television I can deal with the occasionally bottle episode.  I’m simply so tired of “the Enterprise saves the Universe in one hour” then never mentions doing it again… television.

I mean that type of storytelling is why Strange New Worlds has become so popular. Not every show needs to be a 10 hour movie. 

1 minute ago, DaveSumm said:

Well good news, it’s 2023 and there’s barely any of those. Arcs are all the rage. I found the mission-of-the-week format of the first season quite refreshing.

I hated that… at the time.  It made no sense to me and I was 16 when TNG started.  Why would Earth shaking universe altering events be dealt with in 60 minutes and never be mentioned again?  Seriously?

1 minute ago, sifth said:

I mean that type of storytelling is why Strange New Worlds has become so popular. Not every show needs to be a 10 hour movie. 

Right.  But people on SNW (just got the DVDs and I’m really enjoying it) have continuty with past episodes.  Past actions have impact on future events.  They don’t travel to the edge of the known Univese and barely mention it ever again…

1 minute ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

Right.  But people on SNW (just got the DVDs and I’m really enjoying it) have continuty with past episodes.  Past actions have impact on future events.  They don’t travel to the edge of the known Univese and barely mention it ever again…

Fair point, yea the characters do continue to grow, even if all of their adventures are usually solved in one episode.

In a reversal, "The Bad Batch" had a good, meaty episode, while Mando was exceedigly dumb. Somewhat fun, yes - I Iike jetpack acrobatics and demonstrations of Mandalorian kit, but so very stupid plot-wise on several levels. Worse, I have a growing feeling that we are supposed to admire the cult and that Bo's "redemption" is going to be getting brainwashed into it. Consequently, it also seems that Grogu would never learn to talk, because there is no way that they'd put him in a helmet forever for the same reason why they are never letting Din  discard his. Which is disappointing, all in all.

Re: the "The Bad Batch" - I guess that one of Crosshair and Echo is dying in the finale. Which, some speculate, may be the series finale as well. Hope that they stick the landing.

Edited by Maia

I just don't think Mando has a strong enough long running story and mythos to sustain a multi season arc, not even a multi episode arc, and the show was better and more interesting when it was dealing with smaller scale problems.. bandits of the week kind of thing.

It all feels like they felt the need to tack on the Mando cult stuff as a way of keeping it relevant and tying it in to other shows, but it's all just so unnecessary. 

I'm pretty much done with the show for this very reason. It has long since ceased to be fun.

It warmed the cockles of my heart to see Ahmed Best return as such a badass character.

But other than that the episode kind of annoyed me to be honest. Baby Yoda jumping over the guy and firing the darts was so fake and cheesy.

Don't know where the hell this show is going plot-wise.

2 hours ago, Maia said:

In a reversal, "The Bad Batch" had a good, meaty episode, while Mando was exceedigly dumb. Somewhat fun, yes - I Iike jetpack acrobatics and demonstrations of Mandalorian kit, but so very stupid plot-wise on several levels. Worse, I have a growing feeling that we are supposed to admire the cult and that Bo's "redemption" is going to be getting brainwashed into it. Consequently, it also seems that Grogu would never learn to talk, because there is no way that they'd put him in a helmet forever for the same reason why they are never letting Din to discard his. Which is disappointing, all in all.

Re: the "The Bad Batch" - I guess that one of Crosshair and Echo is dying in the finale. Which, some speculate, may be the series finale as well. Hope that they stick the landing.

I realized watching the latest Mando episode that attempting to cover up Grogu's face with a helmet will at best work for one episode. They spent way too much time making that puppet extremely expressive and lifelike to cover it up. But I do believe Grogu will start talking soon.

The camp fire scene made it clear that they didn't think this cult concept through at first and they've been building up as they went along. I can understand having an ideology where you hide your face from the outside world, but one should think that within the community it would be ok. Similar to how there are cultures in SFF media where people have a secret name shared only with family and a public name for everyone else.

36 minutes ago, Darryk said:

But other than that the episode kind of annoyed me to be honest. Baby Yoda jumping over the guy and firing the darts was so fake and cheesy.

I sorta thought he would use the force to push the darts out of his way and make the kid miss.  :dunno: 

11 hours ago, Deadlines? What Deadlines? said:

I've seen some speculation that this is more about the writers covering their arses for the writer's strike, which is almost certain to go ahead in just a few weeks, and not be caught on the hop mid-project.

So...giant bird thing grabs a kid, they all take off immediately to chase it, to save the kid...run out of fuel...jump on Bo-Katan's ship, give some half-assed reasons why they can't fly to the nest because it will kill the kid...and then just decide to camp out overnight.  I guess the dad was like "oh well, I'm sure my kid will be fine overnight, even though we hurried to get here as fast as we could."  And 10 people in metal suits firing grappling hooks (what did they hook into) and climbing laboriously up the pillar was going to be quieter than jetpacks?

Meanwhile, giant bird thing grabs kid with it's claw, to carry back and feed it's hungry youngsters...and for some reason decides not to bring the snack back to it's babies, but wait overnight...but not before transferring the kid from it's claw to it's gullet.  Which, if I am to believe National Geographic shows, is done to partially digest food, and spit it back up to make it easier for babies to eat...but the kid is regurgitated whole.  (How long did he survive inside that bird, anyway).

I mean, let's not kid ourselves, this show has had some dumb moments since season 1 (rebuilding the Razor Crest overnight), but this takes the cake.  Why did no one read this script and say..."you know, none of this really makes sense"? 

6 minutes ago, Deadlines? What Deadlines? said:

Is Knight not a member of the Screen Writers Guild?

He's British, and may not be a member of the WGA (the Screen Writers Guild hasn't been a thing since the 1950s, I believe). During the 2007-08 strike, some US productions got around the strike by hiring British writers instead, although there was some unease about that (in particular if they could expect to then join the WGA if they moved to the US to work there later on). But certainly it's possible.

33 minutes ago, HokieStone said:

So...giant bird thing grabs a kid, they all take off immediately to chase it, to save the kid...run out of fuel...jump on Bo-Katan's ship, give some half-assed reasons why they can't fly to the nest because it will kill the kid...and then just decide to camp out overnight.  I guess the dad was like "oh well, I'm sure my kid will be fine overnight, even though we hurried to get here as fast as we could."  And 10 people in metal suits firing grappling hooks (what did they hook into) and climbing laboriously up the pillar was going to be quieter than jetpacks?

Meanwhile, giant bird thing grabs kid with it's claw, to carry back and feed it's hungry youngsters...and for some reason decides not to bring the snack back to it's babies, but wait overnight...but not before transferring the kid from it's claw to it's gullet.  Which, if I am to believe National Geographic shows, is done to partially digest food, and spit it back up to make it easier for babies to eat...but the kid is regurgitated whole.  (How long did he survive inside that bird, anyway).

I mean, let's not kid ourselves, this show has had some dumb moments since season 1 (rebuilding the Razor Crest overnight), but this takes the cake.  Why did no one read this script and say..."you know, none of this really makes sense"? 

Not to entirely excuse it, because you're right it was a bit ridiculous, but I think that part of the show was a nod towards Ray Harryhausen's The Seventh Voyage of Sinbad, specifically the scene with the giant two headed bird and it's baby.  Which is why I think the show went out of its way to make the Mandalorians scale the mountain, which is how Sinbad and his crew first got to the giant bird's nest.

I guess that doesn't really explain why they had to camp out and eat dinner before they scaled the mountain though.

That's just how Filoni rolls. Tons of Clone Wars episodes or ATLA eps be like that. It's not that different from the stupid Jawa egg quest. 

If this is the sort of thing that's gonna bother you you might as well not watch anything Star Wars related on Disney+ save Andor. It's incredibly stupid and small and weird and why the fuck are they on a planet where they have had MULTIPLE PEOPLE GET EATEN BY BIRDS and have done nothing about it until now and why are they just out training on the beach without any kind of advance party or scouts or warning or...HOLY CRAP IT IS SOOOO DUMB

But the payoff will be Grogu riding those stupid birds Avatar style to save the day in a few eps and y'all will be so pumped to buy the action figure

22 hours ago, Heartofice said:

It all feels like they felt the need to tack on the Mando cult stuff as a way of keeping it relevant and tying it in to other shows, but it's all just so unnecessary.

The cult stuff is original to The Mandalorian, doesn't tie to anything else and is clearly only in to justify Pascal  being merely  a voice actor on this series, with very rare exceptions. Which is why they can't allow any meaningful movement away from it for Din, particularly not now when the actor has "The Last of Us" too + whatever other projects he may be pursuing.

21 hours ago, Corvinus85 said:

They spent way too much time making that puppet extremely expressive and lifelike to cover it up. But I do believe Grogu will start talking soon.

Which is why it was so very stupid of them not to treat donning of a helmet as a rite of passage for adolesecents, who have proved themselves worthy, but tie it to just being able to speak the pledge. A completely unforced mistake that makes the whole thing even more ridiculous than it already was. All it would have taken was showing smaller kids at the combat  practice be bare-headed. Now they have to either not let Grogu learn to speak or must  come up  with some convoluted reason to give him dispensation from the helmet rule.

21 hours ago, Corvinus85 said:

The camp fire scene made it clear that they didn't think this cult concept through at first and they've been building up as they went along.

The beginning and the end of the concept seems to have been that Pascal doesn't have to be present on set and possibly an option to extend this to other actors as well.

Edited by Maia