Star Wars: Go home (M)Ando(r), the Zillo Beast Is Back (Again!)

Lord Varys

2 hours ago, Kalnestk Oblast said:

Depends. If it's Greek, it'd be Mandalori (for a given species/tribe of Mandalore) or Mandalorians (for all species of Mandalore). If it's Latin it might be Mandaloriane, Mandalorianes, or Mandaloria. I personally prefer Mandalori when I'm talking about the Covert or Bo-Katan's group, but I recommend picking the absolute silliest version. 

People called Romanes they go the house?!?

So nothing that happened at the end of season 2 mattered? They can't think up new characters and villains so they have to shoehorn Baby Yoda and Moff Gideon back into the plot.

Did I seriously just see a Naboo Starfighter win a space battle by itself?

Interesting that Katee Sackhoff considers this episode to be her favorite, though in terms of her character, there was yet again more development. Din Djarin has been reduced to a support character, speaking more with his OP starfighter than with anything else. Both of the previous two seasons picked up in the last 3 episodes, so I'm hoping the same will happen here, because the season has been a bit directionless.

Anyway, The Bad Batch had an incredibly strong finale, did not expect it to be as sad as it was.

Spoiler

Dr. Hemlock delivering Tech's broken goggles makes me think he survived and likely a prisoner, too, but the sacrifice he made was really well done, so part of me wishes he stays dead.

Not sure what to think about the Karr revelation. Personally I had liked the idea that Omega was unique.

I liked the Rogue One vibes the two-part finale had, mainly the penultimate episode. The music had some stuff from Rogue One, too.

2 hours ago, Darryk said:

So nothing that happened at the end of season 2 mattered? They can't think up new characters and villains so they have to shoehorn Baby Yoda and Moff Gideon back into the plot.

I'd love to hear a list of genre TV shows that didn't ever bring back a villain from a previous season? That's not a sign that the writers have given up, it's a standard thing that TV shows and comic books and any other serialised media does. 

It's certainly true that The Mandalorian isn't as fresh as it was to start with, but again, that's what happens in season 3 vs season 1 in any medium. 

2 hours ago, Darryk said:

Did I seriously just see a Naboo Starfighter win a space battle by itself?

You saw the lead character win a dogfight largely by himself but with significant help from Bo Katan. I guess we're still looking for the Goldilocks level of badassness from Din, either there are complaints that he's a chump or that he's too competent. Somewhere there's a level that's just right. ;)

28 minutes ago, mormont said:

but again, that's what happens in season 3 vs season 1 in any medium. 

Not true at all, if anything a third season of a show is usually when a show starts to grow its beard. TNG, DS9, Seinfeld, It’s Aways Sunny, Breaking Bad, The Wire, heck even GoT’s are all examples of this. The fact that Mando is starting to go down in quality, in its third year is indeed worrying. 

I personally really like the dogfights and ship stuff - it's cool to watch. But it is also super weird to think Mando can fly the n1 with such quality given his background and training, and it's a bit weird that a fighter that is pretty fucking old at this point can wipe the floor with most everyone else, including tie interceptors.

My biggest problem is that for the most part I just don't care about the Mandaloruses. I don't care about this idiotic covert, or them restoring their rightful place on Mandalanana. I didn't heavily watch clone wars or rebels and when I did watch those weren't that interesting either. I don't know why it should be super momentous that Bo-Katan saw a mythosaur and a bunch of wooden acting in masks hasn't sold me on that either. Navarro at least they've tried to establish in this show. But yeah, making this oops, all Mandaloriani is not making the show better.

3 hours ago, Corvinus85 said:

Anyway, The Bad Batch had an incredibly strong finale, did not expect it to be as sad as it was.

Reveal hidden contents

Dr. Hemlock delivering Tech's broken goggles makes me think he survived and likely a prisoner, too, but the sacrifice he made was really well done, so part of me wishes he stays dead.

Not sure what to think about the Karr revelation. Personally I had liked the idea that Omega was unique.

I liked the Rogue One vibes the two-part finale had, mainly the penultimate episode. The music had some stuff from Rogue One, too.

Spoiler

Perhaps Tech survived but he requires many more cybernetic implants.  Probably with inhibitor chips to turn him to the Imperial side.

The problem with the Mandalorian culture is that they're just really Klingons without the bumpy foreheads and flamethrowers and jetpacks instead of swords and daggers. They're obsessed with honour, they have very random cultural tics that make you ponder how they got into space, let alone became a major power and they've been heavily presented as both bad guys and good guys depending on the generation, or both and they have to have a civil war to settle the matter. The major difference is how easily the Mandalorians get curb-stomped by the Republic/Empire/Separatists (whilst the Klingons are presented as militarily superior to the Federation, to the point of almost beating them in direct warfare, twice).

I do think the Mandalorians work extremely well as supporting characters, so us visiting Mandalore and getting involved in its shit in a dozen episodes out of more than 130 in The Clone Wars isn't a huge problem, and Sabine being a supporting character in Rebels and we see her involvement with them in just a few episodes is fine.

Making them front-and-centre as much as they are in this show does feel a little redundant at this point.

It occurs to me that Star Wars probably could benefit from a real Next Generation leap to long after the sequel trilogy and explore a completely new paradigm (one that doesn't just degenerate into a retread of the OT again). Even have UnCGIed Mark Hamill show up a few times as Force Ghost Luke to guide the next-but-one chosen one or whatever. It does feel like we're spinning our wheels a lot by flitting between established films and stories.

Even The Bad Batch is doing better by picking a point in the timeline where there's virtually no lore (with a clear 15 years until the events of Andor and Rebels) and diving headfirst into it and making great stories out of some genuinely interesting questions (like what happened to all the clones?).

I think Mandalorian exploring the next parts of New Republic and establishing Snoke/First Order is a pretty awesome narratively rich vein. Why did the Republic suck so much? How did they go wrong so fast? Where the hell did the First Order get so powerful so quickly? What happened to Luke's school and the next generation of Jedi? There's a lot of space there to tell a lot of stories. Being able to talk about remnant forces, how Moff Gideon cares about cloning, how they care about Jedi survivors - all of these things are pretty interesting to me, or at least they can be interesting.

But Mandalore? Not part of that really at all. It's not necessary, it doesn't link into that, they just don't matter to any of that. Boba Fett did even more of that.  Pick a lane and stick with it. 

8 hours ago, sifth said:

Is it just me, or does season 3 of this show feel like the Book of Boba Fett? Did the writers of that series take over or something?

Just as season 2 had some backdoor pilots for Ahsoka and Boba Fett, this latest episode especially may have been a backdoor pilot for the delayed but maybe not dead New Republic Rangers.

People complained before about how there was no plot and it was a series of stand alone western shows or a video game where he was just leveling up and now when the show is expanding and seems to have a season long arc (albeit very weak)people are complaining about that also.  

In fairness some of it has been dumb, line the whole pterodactyl stealing the foundling but not killing it. The X-wing pilot traveling half way across the galaxy for a 2 minute conversation was just awful. And why aren't they taking all the supplies they can and going back to Mandalore now that they know it isn't poisoned or cursed or whatever, or back to the nearby planet Bo was on while building Mandalore back up?

That said, I still enjoy it for what it is and as with all shows learn to ignore some stuff.  Oh and BTW that badass Naboo star fighter has turbo speed so it is all powerfull! 

One question, wasn't beskar supposed to be rare, or am i imagining this? Din and Bo both saw a lot of it on Mandalore in that pit area, lots of helmets laying around of part victims. If there are helmets then there should also be the body armor to match.

1 hour ago, Kalnestk Oblast said:

think Mandalorian exploring the next parts of New Republic and establishing Snoke/First Order is a pretty awesome narratively rich vein. Why did the Republic suck so much? How did they go wrong so fast? Where the hell did the First Order get so powerful so quickly? What happened to Luke's school and the next generation of Jedi?

I guess Clone Wars and all the other shows managed to somehow fill in the mess Lucas created with the prequels and create some sort of connective tissue that didn’t seem to be there if you just watch the movies.

So much of the plotting of the sequels seems to make little sense and was motivated seemingly to just enable JJ to recreate the story of the OT, that it seems a monumental task to fill in those blanks properly. 

4 minutes ago, dbunting said:

People complained before about how there was no plot and it was a series of stand alone western shows or a video game where he was just leveling up and now when the show is expanding and seems to have a season long arc (albeit very weak)people are complaining about that also.  

How many people were seriously complaining about that? I remember a lot of praise for the fact it was stand alone. 

My reading of it was that Bo Katan can go off and do some stuff by herself, Mandalorians have a home now (which was a dangling plot point regardless of whether you watched any of the animated stuff), and Din can now take up his post as sheriff and get back to some story-of-the-week stuff. Yea, the mythosaur will come up again obviously. But I’m hopeful this whole season won’t be about Mandalorians. I could be wrong though.

I can both think the random garbage of the week story and the arc about the Mandalorians suck. Standalone eps can be good - they're not exactly what I want, but they can be good. Arc eps are better, provided that the arc doesn't actually suck. And I think that the garbage of the week was better than...well, whatever this is. 

As an example: Andor had a good actual arc. Rebels - especially in later seasons - had a pretty good arc. Boba Fett had a really shitty arc. 

1 hour ago, Heartofice said:

How many people were seriously complaining about that? I remember a lot of praise for the fact it was stand alone. 

Enough that it stuck out in my memory.  And to be honest it doesn't matter which way it goes, episodic or long arc people are going to complain.

30 minutes ago, Kalnestk Oblast said:

I can both think the random garbage of the week story and the arc about the Mandalorians suck. Standalone eps can be good - they're not exactly what I want, but they can be good. Arc eps are better, provided that the arc doesn't actually suck. And I think that the garbage of the week was better than...well, whatever this is. 

As an example: Andor had a good actual arc. Rebels - especially in later seasons - had a pretty good arc. Boba Fett had a really shitty arc. 

Obviously they can both also be good.

Mando could have been a good opportunity to really do the 'story of the week' format properly, and really be creative and interesting about it. That it almost never happened is not really surprising and yes it often felt like a video game plot, but then the arc stories also feel like video game plots.. it's just never been an especially well written show. 

Archived