Star Wars: Go home (M)Ando(r), the Zillo Beast Is Back (Again!)

Lord Varys

1 hour ago, dbunting said:

In fairness some of it has been dumb, line the whole pterodactyl stealing the foundling but not killing it. The X-wing pilot traveling half way across the galaxy for a 2 minute conversation was just awful. And why aren't they taking all the supplies they can and going back to Mandalore now that they know it isn't poisoned or cursed or whatever, or back to the nearby planet Bo was on while building Mandalore back up?

To be fair, the travel times in Star Wars have been iffy ever since Empire Strikes Back seemingly established you could travel from one side of the galaxy to the other in just a few hours. That removed a lot of tension in travel times, since you can get anywhere so fast you can have a brief conversation and then travel back in far less time than somebody today could fly from London to Tokyo. 

I did recall fuel maybe being a little bit more of a big deal though, so whilst you could traipse from one side of the galaxy for a 10-minute meeting and then back again, it would be quite expensive.

2 hours ago, Corvinus85 said:

Just as season 2 had some backdoor pilots for Ahsoka and Boba Fett, this latest episode especially may have been a backdoor pilot for the delayed but maybe not dead New Republic Rangers.

I thought that had been cancelled with Gina Carano

To try to be fair, they are slowly moving toward the Mandalore plot.  Frankly, when they do so, like this past episode or the second ep of this season, they do so TOO abruptly, which is..an ironic flaw.  Like, we've heard about this incessantly dumbass creed from The Armorer for the entire series -- including quite a bit this season -- then she's just like, nah dude, Katee Sackoff, you're cool (even if you should be at least 50 based on our own canon).  C'mon.  Did like Zeb showing up though, looked good in live-action.

Do agree this season has been worse than the first two and seems much more scattershot - even compared to season 2 with all the backdoor pilots/subplots.  It's hard to argue that if it wasn't for money, the show would have just ended at the end of season 2 when Luke showed up.  And that woulda been a great ending!

Bo-Katan's first appearance was in 20 BBY, which is 28 years before The Mandalorian. Bo-Katan could have been around 20 at that point, so she could be 48 in The Mandalorian, even a few years older. Katee Sackhoff is 43 and we have 0 idea what a Mandalorian's lifespan is or how they age, so I think it's reasonably fine.

23 hours ago, Maltaran said:

I thought that had been cancelled with Gina Carano

There's been some indications it's being "re-tooled" to focus on other New Republic-oriented characters.

13 minutes ago, Werthead said:

Bo-Katan's first appearance was in 20 BBY, which is 28 years before The Mandalorian. Bo-Katan could have been around 20 at that point

Yeah, she could have been 20 at that point, but that's really not how she was depicted.  She already had done a lot by the time she was introduced.  I know the age ranges, thanks.  That's exactly why I said "should be at least 50," which you pretty much agree with.  Point is if you're a nerd about it like I am, it doesn't really work.  She's clearly a human which age, ya know, like humans - otherwise we have a much bigger canon problem.  Also, I don't like Katee Sackhoff, so that was definitely part of that complaint.  

1 hour ago, DMC said:

Yeah, she could have been 20 at that point, but that's really not how she was depicted.  She already had done a lot by the time she was introduced.  I know the age ranges, thanks.  That's exactly why I said "should be at least 50," which you pretty much agree with.  Point is if you're a nerd about it like I am, it doesn't really work.  She's clearly a human which age, ya know, like humans - otherwise we have a much bigger canon problem.  Also, I don't like Katee Sackhoff, so that was definitely part of that complaint.  

How dare you be honest in your post!  I have no back ground outside of the movies and Disney shows so that stuff goes right past me.

5 hours ago, DMC said:

You know it's strange, when I actually agree with you on something. Aside from the part about not liking Katee Sackhoff that is; I think she's a decent enough actress.

Edited by sifth

2 minutes ago, sifth said:

You know it's strange, when I actually agree with you on something.

Well, if you're a baseball fan and do live in NYC, we may agree on the Yankees too! 

As for Sackhoff, I'll just say I'm far less judgmental than my brother.  OTOH, the main problem I have is she's cheesy-as-fuck, which, thinking about is what this series is all about.  Carl Weathers making that speech at the end of Season 1 -- it could've been a scene from an old daytime "action" series in the 90s like Hercules or Xena.  But it worked!  And, well, here he is again.  After Arrested Development and Burger King and everything.  And here Sackhoff is again.  So..yeah. 

I suppose my disappointment is the best actor they employ, it seems, they actually don't employ beyond voice acting.  And even that could be fudged and I wouldn't notice.  Amy Sedaris is cool too, but her character can get grating.  In the first season they clearly were having more fun with it by bringing together a wild bunch.  Now you can kinda tell they're just going through the motions.

52 minutes ago, Corvinus85 said:

What's funny about Bo-katan's look is how old Obi-Wan looks compared to her, and that's pretty much 10 years before in the timeline.

That's a good point. I forgot this series takes places after the OT.

Edited by sifth

11 hours ago, Corvinus85 said:

What's funny about Bo-katan's look is how old Obi-Wan looks compared to her, and that's pretty much 10 years before in the timeline.

well erm, exposure to sunlight - ie getting a sun tan does prematurely age you.  and Obi has been living on a desert world with 2 suns and might not have had access to good sunblock.  Beskar has great UV protection.

5 hours ago, Pebble thats Stubby said:

well erm, exposure to sunlight - ie getting a sun tan does prematurely age you.  and Obi has been living on a desert world with 2 suns and might not have had access to good sunblock.  Beskar has great UV protection.

Also, pretty great Sarlacc digestive juice protection.  Maybe the whole body armor/never-remove-your-helmet is truly for dermatological reasons?  I’d assume most Mandos eventually look like the skin under a plaster cast if they’re that devoted to keeping everything on.  Does the armor have exfoliating lasers in it?  Moisturizer dispersal jets?  I am wondering if her full name is short for Botox-Katan?

The newest episode of The Mandalorian featured another nice development of the universe at the expense of a better narrative and the development of show's protagonist. Cool to see a Wall-E like society of humans and droids. And nice actor cameos. But the resolution of the darksaber plot was weak. 

Bo Katan is the Mandalorian at this point.  And maybe in a later season some other person will be the Mandolorian of the title.  Doesn't need to be Din.

They could have had Din put the Darksaber down in the middle of the field and started a melee battle royale for it, and had Bo win it in battle that way.

Planet Hollywood was a weird diversion.

2 minutes ago, SpaceChampion said:

Bo Katan is the Mandalorian at this point.  And maybe in a later season some other person will be the Mandolorian of the title.  Doesn't need to be Din.

They could have had Din put the Darksaber down in the middle of the field and started a melee battle royale for it, and had Bo win it in battle that way.

Planet Hollywood was a weird diversion.

I liked this ep more than that. I like seeing another neat new planet, the Volume works well for this kind of open behavior and focusing things on Din and Bo-Katan is at least a little bit better than focusing on other crap. I even like that they're going back to Dooku and the separatist stuff. 

The story itself is pretty stupid. Leaving the chain code on the nanobots is a remarkably stupid resolution and is a glaring kind of way to indicate the lack of complication on this show. It felt very much like a basic Clone Wars ep or some prequel-level plotting. 

I like Grogu gets randomly knighted too for no reason other than eating fish and being cute. 

The theory on how she got the Darksaber was actually listed shortly after the crab bot episode on Mandalore. It's entirely stupid and not particularly dramatic, but that's pretty much par for the course on Filoni stuff, especially when it has to do with the Darksaber. 

Action sequence - particularly the Bo-Katan and Axe fight - were pretty decent this time. 

I'm also calling it that Bo-Katan is gonna die this season and Moff Gideon is going to kill her and take the Darksaber. 

1 hour ago, Kalnestk Oblast said:

The theory on how she got the Darksaber was actually listed shortly after the crab bot episode on Mandalore. It's entirely stupid and not particularly dramatic, but that's pretty much par for the course on Filoni stuff, especially when it has to do with the Darksaber. 

I don’t think it’s stupid how she got it, but it is stupid that she didn’t notice. Especially the way Din had to announce it to the whole crowd; “No, she totally is the rightful wielder of the Darksabre, she just like … didn’t realise”.