Star Wars: Go home (M)Ando(r), the Zillo Beast Is Back (Again!)

Lord Varys

6 hours ago, Werthead said:
  • 5 ABY: Ahsoka and Sabine's flashforwards scene in Rebels Season 4, agreeing to go find Ezra.

I'd forgotten that the last scene of rebels with Ahsoka and Sabine was a flashforward to after the Battle of Endor.

I'll watch any star wars movie cause like lots of people I'm always a fan, but reaction to news

1. Hopefully James Mangold makes something that isn't a genre western but I'm totally okay with watching a star wars film by him

2. Yes to daisy & Obaid Chinoy. Get Marie Tran on as well and I'm there. I wish Lindelof had stayed on though.

3. Filoni's stuff is probably the one I'm least excited about because I couldn't get past S2 of Mandalorian but if it's a movie, I'll still watch it. If it's just references/ call backs to the tv stuff, then meh

2 hours ago, Raja said:

Filoni's stuff is probably the one I'm least excited about because I couldn't get past S2 of Mandalorian but if it's a movie, I'll still watch it. If it's just references/ call backs to the tv stuff, then meh

I thought fans generally liked Filoni, and viewed him as kind of an heir apparent to Lucas?

3 hours ago, IlyaP said:

I thought fans generally liked Filoni, and viewed him as kind of an heir apparent to Lucas?

I think he was well-regarded for simultaneously doing some new stories and characters whilst also tapping Lucas's inspiration and ideas, which was tricky balancing act.

Recent criticisms have been that he's played too safe with a lot of stuff, he's brought in some potentially franchise-disrupting ideas (the World Between Worlds) and he's way, way more interested in Mandalore and their bullshit than about 90% of the fanbase. I think there's also scepticism over his live-action credentials: he is very much the junior partner to Favreau on Mandalorian and Boba Fett and all his best work has been in animation.

It should be noted that this forum was waaaay more harsh and negative on the first two seasons of The Mandalorian than almost anywhere else on the internet (bar the "everything made by Disney is automatically shit and I don't even need to watch it to know that!" crowd), but the rest of the internet seems to be in agreement that Season 3 has been a mix of interesting but underwhelming.

Let's put it this way: thanks to Dave Filoni and Jon Favreau, every household in the Western world owns approximately seventeen pieces of Grogu merch so of course Disney are going to give Filoni a shot at a feature film if he wants it.

1 hour ago, mormont said:

Let's put it this way: thanks to Dave Filoni and Jon Favreau, every household in the Western world owns approximately seventeen pieces of Grogu merch so of course Disney are going to give Filoni a shot at a feature film if he wants it.

Can't say I see the appeal of owning that kind of stuff. Just gimme books instead for my library.

2 hours ago, Werthead said:

I think he was well-regarded for simultaneously doing some new stories and characters whilst also tapping Lucas's inspiration and ideas, which was tricky balancing act.

Recent criticisms have been that he's played too safe with a lot of stuff, he's brought in some potentially franchise-disrupting ideas (the World Between Worlds) and he's way, way more interested in Mandalore and their bullshit than about 90% of the fanbase. I think there's also scepticism over his live-action credentials: he is very much the junior partner to Favreau on Mandalorian and Boba Fett and all his best work has been in animation.

I confess I didn't mind the Worlds Between Worlds thing, and it was played to really good emotional impact with Ezra, his parents, and the temptations of Palpatine. It was an interesting concept, of a redo and giving someone a second chance to have what they think they want but don't necessarily need. I enjoyed it for whatever it's worth. It never bothered me in the least. 

2 hours ago, Werthead said:

It should be noted that this forum was waaaay more harsh and negative on the first two seasons of The Mandalorian than almost anywhere else on the internet (bar the "everything made by Disney is automatically shit and I don't even need to watch it to know that!" crowd), but the rest of the internet seems to be in agreement that Season 3 has been a mix of interesting but underwhelming.

Having not seen s3 yet - waiting for it to all be said and done so I can watch it with the wife in one go, so I can't comment. But I've enjoyed everything I've seen so far from Mandalorian seasons 1-2 and Book of Bobba Fett. 

9 hours ago, IlyaP said:

I haven't seen his animated stuff but haven't really been impressed by The Mandalorian that much, the first season was alright but I think S2 was quite poor and I stopped watching.

I'm just more excited about Obaid Chinoy & Mangold.

I'm done with Disney Star Wars. It's dead to me.

TLJ killed it; Boba Fett, Obi-Wan and Mando season 3 mutilated the corpse.

And their new film announcements are the last straw. I don't want to see Disney explore the origins of the Jedi. The origins of the Jedi should be left to the imagination, so I wouldn't be happy with anyone doing it, but frigging Disney? Haha, no thanks.

I'll watch Andor season 2 and that's it. Not interested in the rest unless people I trust tell me they're good (and I mean like, REALLY good. If it's 7 out of 10 or less then I'm skipping it).

14 hours ago, Raja said:

2. Yes to daisy & Obaid Chinoy. Get Marie Tran on as well and I'm there. I wish Lindelof had stayed on though.

You could take this idea and run with it, creating a Star Wars Suicide Squad where all the absolute shittest characters from the SW universe are hired for one last impossible task.

Imagine Rey, Rose, Jar Jar, Watto, C3P0,  the two headed podracer announcer, that fat 50s diner owner from AotC all getting together to rescue some Porgs and Ewoks from Jack Black! I’m there for that, especially if it is a mission they don’t come back from!

1 hour ago, Darryk said:

TLJ killed it; Boba Fett, Obi-Wan and Mando season 3 mutilated the corpse.

Feels a bit like after the end of the Prequels, my interest in the universe is mostly totally gone. Andor got me super hyped again and I went back and watched Clone Wars.. which just pretty much brought me back to where I was! 

I suspect whatever is going on at Disney is having serious problems for both the MCU and SW. The more they panic about money they poorer the decisions will be.

5 hours ago, Raja said:

Yeah, I have no interest in your opinion of those characters either :dunno:

*shrug* 

I though they were cool. But I really enjoyed The Last Jedi, the most interesting SW movie for me since Empire Strikes Back.

No Andor Season 2 release date, makes me sad. 

Excited for them to hopefully patchwork-fix the New Trilogy with the Rey movie, like they're gonna do for GoT with the Jon Snow show. Hopefully it works and they can maintain some semblance of positive narrative cohesion despite some truly awful art in the middle.

On 4/7/2023 at 1:19 PM, Ran said:

I'd take that bet. Filoni's film, at the least, will happen well within that time, IMO.

Twist my arm and I might concede to sometime in 2027-2029. Of course, if the MCU were to experience a significant slow down, which is a distinct possibility at the moment, that could change. I still think SW and Avatar having theatrical runs that overlap is a problem. 

Mangold's film would be 3 years off, minimum. 

18 hours ago, IlyaP said:

True. 

15 hours ago, Werthead said:

The final season of Clone wars buys a lot of goodwill in my book.

We're ahead of the curve. 

8 hours ago, Darryk said:

And their new film announcements are the last straw. I don't want to see Disney explore the origins of the Jedi. The origins of the Jedi should be left to the imagination, so I wouldn't be happy with anyone doing it, but frigging Disney? Haha, no thanks.

I'd just like to see them get out of the inter-war periods, settings, and characters they're dealing with now. Jedi origins would be fine. Sith origins would be better. 

One should always listen to Lance Henriksen. Just literally pick anything he talks about here.  

2 hours ago, IlyaP said:

*shrug* 

I though they were cool. But I really enjoyed The Last Jedi, the most interesting SW movie for me since Empire Strikes Back.

I agree with that and have said so myself in previous iterations of the thread. I was just saying I didn't have any interest in that poster's opinion on those characters.

Archived