Why in 90s teen shows was it always the "Nerdy Kid" who wanted to be a astronaut?

NickGOT456

What were the SBTB writers thinking?

https://savedbythebell.fandom.com/wiki/Screech_Powers

This would not be in the case in a world where the space race continued. Teen shows in that timeline would certainly have "popular characters" who would want to become astronauts.

Even irl high school underachievers have become astronauts believe it or not.

https://www.buffalo.edu/ubnow/storie...ss-kellys.html

I think it would be cool to get "popular" and "class clown" type characters who end up becoming astronauts.

I personally believe that the anti-intellectualism of the late 80s-early 90s was the beginning of the shitshow we see permeating society today.

If you did your homework, or contributed in class, you were a nerd. And nerds were losers. (Hint: The opposite is true.)

5 hours ago, lacuna said:

(Hint: The opposite is true.)

Not if *cough cough* "losers" (or whatever) bullied all the nerds into committing intellectual suicide. 

:kiss:

More than one way to fuck a life

• 2 weeks later...

Smaller folks need less life support.  And for EVAs you're going to build suits that fit the widest range possible.  So astronauts should be average or slightly below in height for males at least.  Slightly taller than average women would still meet parameters.  

I recall when I was in high school, going to a college expo or whatever it's called.  Navy guy said you're tall for bulkheads.  Air Force guy said you're to tall too be a pilot.  Army guy said you'd be a perfect target.

I've thought about a sort of grim dark sci fi scenario where all the astronauts are short people with their legs amputated to reduce the 02 needs.  (and other basic metabolism needs foods and nutrients etc).

Also the nerdy kids knew that if they and the jocks were all belters, a lot of the jocks would self eliminate.

5 minutes ago, mcbigski said:

I've thought about a sort of grim dark sci fi scenario where all the astronauts are short people with their legs amputated to reduce the 02 needs.  (and other basic metabolism needs foods and nutrients etc).

Tav, is that you? 

What good are legs in space anyway? :drool:

Spoiler

Spoiler

:rofl:

8 minutes ago, Secretary of Eumenes said:

Tav, is that you? 

What good are legs in space anyway? :drool:

Hide contents

Hide contents

:rofl:

Tri pods shouldn't sweat that but I have 90+ percent femurs and such.

2 hours ago, mcbigski said:

Tri pods shouldn't sweat that but I have 90+ percent femurs and such.

Hey, baby. Life is good as long as its got laughs right? And last time I looked you don't need 0% of femurs to ROFL :lmao:

"Hunt the good stuff." - weird Army behavioral health saying 

28 minutes ago, Secretary of Eumenes said:

Hey, baby. Life is good as long as it's got laughs right? And last time I looked you don't need 0% of femurs to ROFL :lmao:

"Hunt the good stuff." - weird Army behavioral health saying 

Luckily I'm still tripoding, which is sometimes a ROFL impediment.

We're way off topic though.

<also I think i meant to say 90%+ percentile femurs and such. Half Irish half Polish>

Archived