Watch, watching next

DireWolfSpirit

On 3/16/2023 at 8:26 PM, WarGalley said:

Holy shit! I was a senior at Stuyvesant on 9/11 too! Liz and I had lockers pretty close to each other senior year and I knew a couple of others in the IMDB cast list as well (though not very well).

Your schoolmates did the alma mater proud!

Was Cocaine Bear worth $20 to rent? No, but I'd highly recommend it once you can stream it or rent it for $5. It's every bit as stupid as you'd expect while still having a semi-coherent story. The actual jokes don't always land, but the absurdity of it all should give you a laugh.

1 hour ago, Rippounet said:

I hope cocaine bear sees the errors of his ways, goes through a redemption arc, and ends up settling down as a family man with a beautiful female.

PCP Squid vs. Ecstasy Sperm Whale writes itself. 

Went back to the start and watched the very first episode of Morse. It hasn't aged well in many ways. Sure, it's of its time (1987) and there were a lot of grim and grimy old men in detective roles on TV, being lazy and unprofessional, looking scruffy and being generally creepy to women in a low key way. The worst thing had to be that he was living in absolute squalor in some awful chintz-upholstered nightmare of a house. In Endeavour we see him living alone in a reasonably minamilist fashion but he looks COOL AND CLASSY while he's doing it. The Morse from Endeavour would never have a chintz sofa!

Also struggling to work out the age of Morse in both Morse and Endeavour - because I think there are meant to be about 10 years between the two iterations at the close of one and the start of the other. Yet, John Thaw looks waaaay older than Shaun Evans for someone who is 10 years older.

Watched the one hour doc Morse and the last Endeavour and that was a nice little coda to the series. I had no idea that Shaun Evans had one of those intense, posh sounding scouse accents or that the actress playing Joan Thursday was Glaswegian. 

In other news I am still hooked on Daisy Jones and the Six:)

Shrinking is like Ted Lasso’s worst elements squished together into one smarmy sappy shit sandwich.

Shame because I thought that first episode had promise. A show about a guy dealing with intense grief, a psychiatrist who decides to tell his patients the truth.. ok there is something there. 

That lasted two episodes before it devolves into pretty much what it was always trying to be.. a lazy sitcom with kooky characters just doing stuff. 

That is exactly what went wrong with Ted Lasso season 2. It forgot what it was and just became a dull middle of the road sit com that could have been set anywhere, just a collection of tired tropes. 

This is just the same, the show lost all its purpose in favour of just running around fleshing out its cast of irritating side characters. 

Fuck it, I’m out. Back to Barry.. a good show.

3 hours ago, Isis said:

Went back to the start and watched the very first episode of Morse. It hasn't aged well in many ways. Sure, it's of its time (1987) and there were a lot of grim and grimy old men in detective roles on TV, being lazy and unprofessional, looking scruffy and being generally creepy to women in a low key way. The worst thing had to be that he was living in absolute squalor in some awful chintz-upholstered nightmare of a house. In Endeavour we see him living alone in a reasonably minamilist fashion but he looks COOL AND CLASSY while he's doing it. The Morse from Endeavour would never have a chintz sofa!

Also struggling to work out the age of Morse in both Morse and Endeavour - because I think there are meant to be about 10 years between the two iterations at the close of one and the start of the other. Yet, John Thaw looks waaaay older than Shaun Evans for someone who is 10 years older.

Watched the one hour doc Morse and the last Endeavour and that was a nice little coda to the series. I had no idea that Shaun Evans had one of those intense, posh sounding scouse accents or that the actress playing Joan Thursday was Glaswegian. 

In other news I am still hooked on Daisy Jones and the Six:)

Chintz was very fashionable in the 80's although a lot of designers went for Chintz on Chintz on Chintz, so Morse's flat is very minimalist for the period. Chintz fabric was considered classic traditional British style, probably a lot of it in Royal residences and Country houses, so it wasn't out of place for a guy who liked classic British cars. John Thaw went grey early and .always looked older than his age. I was amazed when I found out that he was only 60 when he died.

I inherited my Mum's chintz sofa. I do feel like the only person in Australia that doesn't have a grey sofa but I kind of like it.

On 2/21/2023 at 4:17 PM, Crazy Old Guy said:

Other than that? I'm a huge Star Wars fan, but that's why I'm watching The Bad Batch currently and getting caught up on season 2 (currently on episode 8 of that season). I'm listening to this audiobook narration right here:

How is that The Bad Batch, by the way? I've always had less-than-zero interest in the goings-on of clones outside the spectacular videogame Republic Commando (yo, they're printable soldiers... I just don't get what's supposed to be so interesting about them). 

The biggest insult to Star Wars, to my eye, has long been (seriously, a decade now!) how small Disney makes it feel. Star Wars was never small when George Lucas owned it. Never. 

I think about things like Knights of the Old Republic, with all the depth and moral complexity on display... and then I look at Disney and I can't help but be disgusted. They built a technological terror that they're too damn afraid to do anything with :shocked:. I found out from a friend that Disney commissioned a book to explain the origins of the First Order (the villains from the Sequel Trilogy). And at the end of it, where the name comes from is essentially a pun... :stillsick: Like, they commissioned that and then put it in print 

In the words of one of the great orators of our time, "SAD!"

Edited by Secretary of Eumenes

More Bones observations. 

Spoiler

Angela just doesn’t deserve Hodgins. Really curious to see where this love story is headed. Overall I have an issue with how underdeveloped Angela is as a character. She’s an artsy free spirit with a healthy self confidence and a warm heart. And? What else? What makes me connect to her?  She narrates that Brennan is her best friend every other episode. Show. Me. Show me why and how these two are such good friends because I swear if Angela didn’t keep repeating it to the camera, I wouldn’t know she’s closer to Brennan that either Zack or Camille. I have yet to see them spend ANY time together outside the lab and do ANYTHING together other than narrate Brennan’s emotions and internal conflicts. When and how did these two people become friends? What do they bond over? What holds their friendship together? I have seen more back story and tangible evidence of Camille and Booth’s friendship than Brennan and Angela’s. 

Watched The Terminal over the weekend, Tom Hanks stranded in an airport instead of an island with a volleyball. Not a bad movie but just ehh.

Watched Greenland, end of the world movie.  It also was just ehh. Nothing new, it went a little dark but then pulled itself back from the edge instead of committing to it.

Spoiler

When the son was kidnapped.  Could've killed one or both of them, could've chopped off the moms hand to get the band off without breaking it.

If you like end of the world type movies it's not bad, but you will have seen better. 

Nope, nope, nope, nope. (Still Bones, don’t read, I’m just venting)

Spoiler

Season3episode4 is just a big no no. First, you can’t have a doctorate at the age of 22, because you don’t even have a masters degree. Or you barely have a 4-year degree in the US. A doctorate takes several years of post-grad work to even complete, so unless Mr Psychotherapy started collage at the age of 14, the math doesn’t work. 
In contrast, there’s superwoman Brennan who is 28ish in season one, with a doctorate of her own, a lab she is in charge of, years of international experience, having a doctorate student of her own and being a best selling author. If we are supposed to buy this, the show has no excuse to discredit Mr Psychotherapist in a fictional world where people in their twenties are nationally renowned affluent experts of their fields. 
Brennan should be in her mid thirties at the beginning of the series to be in any way authentic and for this episode set up to even have a chance to work. 
I hate when series do this. 

On 3/19/2023 at 8:24 AM, Rippounet said:

I hope cocaine bear sees the errors of his ways, goes through a redemption arc, and ends up settling down as a family man with a beautiful female.

Spoiler

Cocaine Bear is a sow, with cubs.

On 3/19/2023 at 10:18 AM, Tywin et al. said:

PCP Squid vs. Ecstasy Sperm Whale writes itself. 

"The drugs fall into the ocean and..."

This thing practically writes itself.

Binge rewatched the Wick trilogy for my Sunday movie date. The reviews for Chapter 4 raising expectations...

And just realized this franchise has not just kept the true action genre alive in an age of cgi shite, but also given it some of its best of all time easily. 

1996's Michael Collins-

A lot of fun to see this cast all 27 years younger.

This amazing cast included

Liam Neeson, Stephen Rhea, Charles Dance, Julia Roberts, Brendan Gleeson, Alan Rickman, Aiden Quinn (Am probably omitting someone ?) Oh yeah Jonathon Rhys Meyers as well.

All played various roles as the film recounts the story of Collins and the Irish Civil War.

As mentioned earlier it was so interesting to see this ensemble of prominent actors, that all went onto be in so many great movies in the next 25 years and to see them all together in one movie. A real treat.

Edited by DireWolfSpirit

On 3/20/2023 at 11:31 PM, Wall Flower said:

Chintz was very fashionable in the 80's although a lot of designers went for Chintz on Chintz on Chintz, so Morse's flat is very minimalist for the period. Chintz fabric was considered classic traditional British style, probably a lot of it in Royal residences and Country houses, so it wasn't out of place for a guy who liked classic British cars. John Thaw went grey early and .always looked older than his age. I was amazed when I found out that he was only 60 when he died.

I inherited my Mum's chintz sofa. I do feel like the only person in Australia that doesn't have a grey sofa but I kind of like it.

Yeah, as I said it was very much of its time. But you know how when you see stuff from the 60s and 70s (clothes, hair, furniture etc) and it can look SO COOL? I feel like the house Morse had in Endeavour was like that plus he was always really sharply dressed. Younger Morse was hot. Sorry, but it's true. It's a jolt to see him looking like a slob. Not that John Thaw is not an attractive man (if you like that sort of thing) but you'd hardly say he was a snappy dresser - he looks shabby most of the time. Perhaps, it is Endeavour that went wrong by giving us Hot Young Morse when that doesn't jive with the Tired Scruffy Old Morse he was destined to become? I mean, I know age takes us all but even if you look at Poirot, he at least looks like he's had a wash.  

Re Endeavour. My mother was amused/delighted to discover that Shaun Evans has a Scouse accent. She'd never suspected while watching the show, and she's from Liverpool and worked there for her whole career. 

I haven't watched it myself yet, but I like the decision to cast someone from an untypical acting background as Morse. Shaun Evans was a scholarship boy with a taxi driver father. It meshes nicely with John Thaw in the original series, a Mancunian rather than Liverpudlian, who also came from the working class. 

Long time since I posted in one of these threads, and this year I've seen tons of films (because the biggest Belgrade film festival, FEST, was held earlier this month and ended up lasting 17 days instead of 10, because so many people came and so many screenings were sold out, so the "encore" that usually lasts one day ended up lasting a whole week. Very different from the last year, when the numbers were decent, but the pandemic still affected things. Some of the films I saw include Pearl, EO, Decision to Leave, Bones and All, Till, Women Talking, Tar, Living, Austrian drama The Fox which was one of my favorites, and the latest by both  Cronenbergs. Brandon won this time- Infinity Pool was excellent, while Crimes of the Future had ab interesting premise but lacked tension and emotion.

As for TV shows, I finished Breaking Bad (and will post impressions later) and randomly tarted 3 older/finished UK shows: Misfits, Downton Abbey and Harlots. I finished all of their respective seasons 1 as of yesterday. The former two are OK, but I have issues (in the case of Misfits, it's one particular storyline in season 1 where the writers clearly didn't realize they had written rape into the story). But Hulu's Harlots - which barely anyone ever mentions - turned out to be really great. If seasons 2 and 3, which I'm gonna watch soon, keep up this quality, it might end up being one of my all time favorites.