Watch, watching next

DireWolfSpirit

10 hours ago, TheLastWolf said:

Darn online booking platforms charging half the ticket extra for 'convenience' while the nearest decent theatre is 20 klicks away from my dorms, fucking forest.

And it's not even April yet.

Got at least 15 on my big screen list o'er da next 9 months...:dunno:

Only so much one can squirrel away

Damn, mine only charges a dollar and that bothered me!

Watched The White Lotus, both seasons. Thought the first season was quite a bit better than the second season, which was decidedly more uneven, but still enjoyable. I thought one storyline got rather ridiculously lurid and silly:

Spoiler

That would be the Tanya murder-conspiracy storyline. It was just too over the top.

Favorite part of the second season story was Aubrey Plaza's, found that enjoyable throughout. I also rather loved F. Murray Abraham in it, and Sabrina Impacciatore as Valentina.

Third season will apparently be filming in Thailand.

1 hour ago, Ran said:

Watched The White Lotus, both seasons. Thought the first season was quite a bit better than the second season, which was decidedly more uneven, but still enjoyable. I thought one storyline got rather ridiculously lurid and silly:

Hide contents

That would be the Tanya murder-conspiracy storyline. It was just too over the top.

Spoiler

It's opera, what do you expect?

Jacob’s Ladder

first time I’d seen it in decades. Much better than I remember. 

I still have a problem with the big reveal, as it undercuts much of the drama that played out over the previous 2 hours (the lawyer, his army buddies, meeting the chemist) but it’s still an incredibly great movie.

And how great is Danny Aiello in that movie? Damn.

46 minutes ago, Deadlines? What Deadlines? said:

Jacob’s Ladder

first time I’d seen it in decades. Much better than I remember. 

I still have a problem with the big reveal, as it undercuts much of the drama that played out over the previous 2 hours (the lawyer, his army buddies, meeting the chemist) but it’s still an incredibly great movie.

And how great is Danny Aiello in that movie? Damn.

They constantly reference this movie on How Did This Get Made and I'm still not entirely sure what they're getting at. To me a Jacob's ladder is a section of an obstacle course at an overnight summer camp I went to. Shit was dope and ended with a zipline over a lake that you dropped into.

11 hours ago, Zorral said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Spoiler

Is good opera too much to ask for?

A conspiracy involving over half a dozen people to murder someone is just dumb on the face of it. Especially when none of them (except one) is a habitual or hardened criminal.

Edited by Ran

10 hours ago, Ran said:
  Hide contents

Is good opera too much to ask for?

A conspiracy involving over half a dozen people to murder someone is just dumb on the face of it. Especially when none of them (except one) is a habitual or hardened criminal.

Spoiler

It's the rule of opera: the characters are stupid, whether Dido or Werther or Don Giovanni.  In comic opera, not so much -- see Barber of Seville.

Edited by Zorral

Cholitas (2019) was just as good as I hoped it would be. Six (well, five – one seems to have been edited out) Bolivian Aymara women set out to climb Aconcagua. The women came from a mix of backgrounds (one teacher, a grandmother, a housewife and occasional mountain porter, a cook, a caretaker...) and had a mix of personalities from exuberant, emotional Lidia to shy, reserved Elena, and seeing them all soldiering through the snow, across barren rocks and tolerating freezing winds was really something. And having just said how much I enjoyed it, I went and google'd for more information, and came across a presentation ripping it apart

It makes some fair points, and does make me reassess the level of artificiality and camera coaching involved. But the (18th century) romantic in me kind of hopes that the documentary's slant – that the women find more confidence and happiness from having gone on their adventure in the mountains– wasn't completely false.

ETA: Lidia is apparently now a counsellor in El Alto and the Cholitas Climbers group are hoping to go to Everest. 

Edited by dog-days

Here -- it's a whole LOT more:  https://www.nytimes.com/2023/03/05/business/media/movie-theaters-ticket-prices.html

Increasingly, theaters have been pushing customers toward premium-priced specialty tickets. On Saturday evening at AMC Lincoln Square in New York, for instance, patrons interested in the boxing drama “Creed III” could choose from three IMAX screenings (a $7 to $11 surcharge, depending on seat location), three screenings with Dolby audio and visual technology and reclining chairs ($8 to $12 more), and two standard screenings ($18 for a regular adult ticket).

~~~~~~~~~~

In then meantime I began watching Perry Mason season 2 -- Sean Astin plays a recurring character, who is the opposite of a nice guy.

35 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

I'm betting its also entirely empty most of the time so if you wanted to head over to the premium seats you could.

Some of my colleagues play a bit fast and loose with their morals, I would never. Anyway my daughter is such a goody two shoes she would never allow it. 

Forgive me if this has been mentioned before, but has anyone seen the cast for Wes Anderson's new one - Asteroid City?  It's as if he tried to ensconce every famous actor in a confined space during covid for nefarious research or something.

1 hour ago, DMC said:

Forgive me if this has been mentioned before, but has anyone seen the cast for Wes Anderson's new one - Asteroid City?  It's as if he tried to ensconce every famous actor in a confined space during covid for nefarious research or something.

It's not that uncommon for Wes Anderson though, is it? Also, no Bill Murray?

30 minutes ago, 3CityApache said:

It's not that uncommon for Wes Anderson though, is it? Also, no Bill Murray?

Murray got covid and pretty sure his replacement was Carell.  Even for an Anderson flick, that's SO many names.  I bet Tarantino is jelly and calling people.

56 minutes ago, Martell Spy said:

Going there now. I'm not sure yet if I'll like it or not, but as a long-time player I have to support the brand. Plus, I think it's set in Forgotten Realms?

Google tells me so.  I haven't played any D&D except one video game for the Commodore 64 back in the day, and that was Forgotten Realms I think, Pool of Radiance.