Watch, watching next

DireWolfSpirit

More on D&D. Like I said, a highly entertaining movie and the cast was solid. 

What I liked

Spoiler

Despite knowing very little about the Forgotten Realms universe (I recognized some names like Neverwinter) I didn't have a hard time immersing in the world. There were some stuff I didn't get, but may when I watch it again at home with subtitles, like why is the paladin guy still around. Some names I got only after going to imdb.

Despite the seemingly diverse and chaotic world, filled with magic and creatures, there was good consistency on how these elements were utilized. I specifically enjoyed the fight scenes between Holga and the nameless guards; their armor worked, except she was delivering blunt attacks to take them out of the fight. The one red assassin dude used a magic sword to cut through guards, and when he fought the paladin, the paladin had a magic sword, too, so their duel made sense.

I also liked that despite the movie's sales pitch being band of misfits out to stop a powerful evil from destroying the world, the plot was really much more personal, and the stop-the-evil-witch plot was tangential, almost accidental.

Some weaker parts

Spoiler

Not all the visual effects were great, but for the most part that didn't break my immersion. For example, I didn't mind the bad CGI of Doric's transformations. The halflings were really the only bad visual part for me. 

Sadly, I find the soundtrack to be overly generic, with no songs really standing out. Comedy groups on YouTube such as Viva La Dirt League use the same generic fantasy sounds for their soundtracks. The album may have 49 songs, but most are really short; I prefer longer songs, even if the album is shorter. Lorne Balfe is a decent composer, but not a great one, having listened to The Wheel of Time and His Dark Materials soundtracks as well.

11 hours ago, DireWolfSpirit said:

Oh snap......

Hes that disgusting supermarket guy isnt he...... Just realized it from your post, I hadnt even recognized him lol.

Ya -- he's Jackson's vision of Samwise, petty, mean, nasty, capable of murder, more than capable of getting others to do it, financially at least, for him and his benefit.

13 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Exactly. That's how forgettable the other movie is. 

Is the Avatar 2 really that bad?

I intend to see the D&D movie at some point. 

I just have no interest in digi-worlds. Like it's cool and all. You can like what you like. But I wanna see a film. Avatar sucked yo. Maybe you had to see it in 3D. I didn't get it. Cool computers bro :mellow:

17 minutes ago, Secretary of Eumenes said:

Yes. It's an hour-and-a-half too long. And it's all just so contrived. Having an elderly Sigourney Weaver voice the character of a child was bizarre. And don't get me started on fucking Space Mowgli. 

Edited by Spockydog

14 minutes ago, Secretary of Eumenes said:

I intend to see the D&D movie at some point. 

I just have no interest in digi-worlds. Like it's cool and all. You can like what you like. But I wanna see a film. Avatar sucked yo. Maybe you had to see it in 3D. I didn't get it. Cool computers bro :mellow:

Haven’t seen Avatar 2 but I’m assuming that like the first movie it is less a movie and more like one of those 3D rides at Disneyland. Seeing at home on your tv would be utterly pointless. 

1 hour ago, Heartofice said:

Haven’t seen Avatar 2 but I’m assuming that like the first movie it is less a movie and more like one of those 3D rides at Disneyland. Seeing at home on your tv would be utterly pointless. 

Having seen it in the theater in 3D, that's how I feel. It was a fun experience but not one I'm likely to replicate anytime soon. And like the first, it's utterly forgettable. But watching it on a big screen, I did enjoy it.

3 hours ago, Heartofice said:

I saw a 3D movie and Disneyworld in the mid 90's as a kid and it still better than anything I've seen since. 

9 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

I saw a 3D movie and Disneyworld in the mid 90's as a kid and it still better than anything I've seen since. 

I judge no man by the content of his Watched Recently list. 

Well I do, but I try to be fun about it. 

:D

25 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Captain EO was pretty cool from what I remember. I know they did a couple of others -- Honey, I Shrunk the Kids, a Muppets one -- but that's the one I saw.

I've been re-watching the Die Hard movies slowly over the last couple weeks. Just started the last one that I heard is terrible so I don't have high hopes. The fourth was better than I remembered, but I was shocked when I read wikipedia:

On Rotten Tomatoes, [Die Hard 3] has an approval rating of 58% based on 77 reviews, with an average rating of 6.10/10. The site's critical consensus reads, "Die Hard with a Vengeance gets off to a fast start and benefits from Bruce Willis and Samuel L. Jackson's barbed interplay, but clatters to a bombastic finish in a vain effort to cover for an overall lack of fresh ideas."[28] On Metacritic, the film has a score of 58 out of 100, based on 19 critics, indicating "mixed or average reviews".[29] Audiences polled by CinemaScore gave the film an average grade of "A−" on an A+ to F scale.[30]

On Rotten Tomatoes, [Die Hard 4] has an approval rating of 82% based on 210 reviews, and an average rating of 6.8/10. The site's critical consensus reads, "Live Free or Die Hard may be preposterous, but it's an efficient, action-packed summer popcorn flick with thrilling stunts and a commanding performance by Bruce Willis. Fans of the previous Die Hard films will not be disappointed."[57] On Metacritic, the film has a weighted average score of 69 out of 100, based on 34 critics, indicating "generally favorable reviews".[58] Audiences polled by CinemaScore gave the film an average grade of "A−" on an A+ to F scale.[59]

Is this just a nostalgia thing on my part? It seems insane to me that anyone likes the fourth more than the third. Like I remember the crappiness of the fourth movie coming up on an episode of the office. I thought we all agreed about this!

I tried to watch You season 4, but it’s so repetitive and try-hard that I couldn’t even finish one episode. I just don’t care.  And just because something’s set in London, doesn’t make it fresh, novel or creative. 

Then I watched Instant Family which I found to be a predictable but endearing feel good family movie perfect for some background noise while I worked on my cross stitching project. 

I also watched The Greatest Showman for the same purpose and I flat out disliked it. Didn’t engage or move me the way Instant family managed to. It was boring, the visuals were pretty but overly sterile and artificial. The world building was incredibly poor, as was the costume design in terms of historical faithfulness which reallt undermined the sweaty efforts at atmosphere the visuals and the music made. Oh yes, I also didn’t like the soundtrack. Sorry not sorry, it was an utterly mediocre endeavor which would never had had a quarter of the hype it got if it weren’t for the big names in the credits. 

Im also still watching Bones. I couldn’t tell you why. I guess I like the genre that much. I also must say the circus episode of Bones had more grip than the greatest showman. I’ll stop trashing that poor movie now. 

2 hours ago, Ran said:

Captain EO was pretty cool from what I remember. I know they did a couple of others -- Honey, I Shrunk the Kids, a Muppets one -- but that's the one I saw.

I saw a Muppets one after a Michael Jackson video iirc.

2 hours ago, RumHam said:

I've been re-watching the Die Hard movies slowly over the last couple weeks. Just started the last one that I heard is terrible so I don't have high hopes. The fourth was better than I remembered, but I was shocked when I read wikipedia:

Is this just a nostalgia thing on my part? It seems insane to me that anyone likes the fourth more than the third. Like I remember the crappiness of the fourth movie coming up on an episode of the office. I thought we all agreed about this!

The correct order is clearly 

1) Die Hard

2) Die Hard With a Vengeance 

I love the third one. It's like a try hard attempt to remake a better movie but it is fun.

That scene where the car is like spinning on the road is cray cray 

After that they're all whatever. Who remembers.