Watch, watching next

DireWolfSpirit

8 hours ago, Corvinus85 said:

More on D&D. Like I said, a highly entertaining movie and the cast was solid. 

No one's mentioned it yet, but there's a halfling in the movie whose presence is kept hidden on IMDB - I am guessing to let people enjoy the surprise of the cameo

Also, it turns out that the Australian comedy group who perform Bondi Hipsters show up as well.

Anyone one else watching The Power on Prime? I <3 Toni Collette. The book was published in 2016 and we didn't know then that women would have fewer rights by this time and yet the story was bang to rights for 2023. You just know that women would be getting locked up as soon as they showed some women-only power AND that other women would be throwing the victims under the bus to please the mens. It's horrifying and predictable.

Also, quite a few scenes filmed in Senate House which I can see out of the window as I type this. The ostentatious room where Tatiana receives her mother is actually a hall (as in a big corridor with a staircase in it, not a reception hall) where I sat and listened to a staff choir sing a few days ago. I recognised the walls as we were talking about them while we waited for the singing to start.

I watched High Fidelity as a background movie today. I found it dull and uninteresting as I have no nostalgia for the 90s music nerd life. I was never into music enough for these movies to do anything for me. Oh well. It is sweet that Lisa Bonnet is in this movie and her daughter is the lead in the gender swapped remake.

23 hours ago, RhaenysBee said:

I tried to watch You season 4, but it’s so repetitive and try-hard that I couldn’t even finish one episode. I just don’t care.  And just because something’s set in London, doesn’t make it fresh, novel or creative.

I’m not going to say it’s good, or say that you should give it a chance.. because it’s not really good and probably not worth giving a chance. But this season actually was a lot different to the others, and I give the show credit for actually managing to differentiate each season and do something new.. ish

Watched Cape Fear (the 1991 remake directed by Scorsese, starring Nick Nolte, Jessica Lange, Robert De Niro, and Juliette Lewis). Saw it many, many years ago in the theatre for some reason (I would have been 13-14, and it was definitely something my father took us to) and mostly what I remember was the auditorium scene with Lewis (who is playing a 16-year-old, but was 18 at the time of filming). It's another film that The Rewatchables podcast made me feel compelled to rewatch, and it certainly works really well still, though certain aspects of the film are really interesting to think about in terms of cultural changes 30 years later.

De Niro's definitely the star with his turn as the psychopathic Max Cady. His monologue here is great:

I saw Dungeons and Dragons over the weekend with a big group of friends. During the first 30min - 1 hour, I had fears that it would be worse than Cocaine Bear (which we had all gone and seen a couple of weeks ago to mixed reaction). However once they got the character introductions, backstory and world setting out of the way, the movie became much more enjoyable and actually funny in places (though I may have missed a few DnD references/jokes since I don't play the game). There is a wagon heist scene in the middle to 3/4 way point of the movie which was pretty fun and I generally enjoyed the generous and creative use of magic throughout the movie. Worth checking out overall in my opinion especially if you're going to see in theaters with a group of friends. 

Watching The Night Watch  on Netflix.  A spy thriller with 10 episodes. I am about 4 episodes in and it's ok. The lead guy is dull as hell but the lead woman is really good. FBI/CIA/Secret Service who dunnit.

Spoiler

I am assuming his boss, Dun I think is her name is behind it. Hawkins was just a scapegoat. She likely placed him as Night Watch to make him a patsy. 

Also started S3 of Ted Lasso and it's pretty good. How did Jamie become the most likeable character, wtf?

Wrapped up Daisy Jones and the Six. Overall, I quite enjoyed it but think that Almost Famous is still my preferred way to follow a band through rise and descent.  That said, the documentary elements did a nice job of extending the story beyond that. 

I will say that I did not see the twist coming in the final episode. It was quite emotional for me. 

3 hours ago, TheLastWolf said:

Embarrassed to admit just finished BrBa S1 for the first time. 

What the hell was I even doing all this time...

I was late to that party and rather wished I’d stayed home. Watched it beginning to end with puzzlement over all of the love it was getting. 

3 hours ago, TheLastWolf said:

Embarrassed to admit just finished BrBa S1 for the first time. 

What the hell was I even doing all this time...

5 minutes ago, hauberk said:

I was late to that party and rather wished I’d stayed home. Watched it beginning to end with puzzlement over all of the love it was getting. 

I too have started this. First started with Better Call Saul knowing the general jist of plots in breaking bad but not having watched it. It was pretty interesting to then watch Breaking Bad afterwards and seeing certain people show up - and seeing the transitions of people. I'm up to S5Ep6. 

It's also remarkable to me how much I utterly loathe Walter White. I'm definitely on Team Jesse. Also interesting to see the absurd hatred of Skyler - while I don't think she's a great person she's miles above Walt. 

2 minutes ago, Kalnestk Oblast said:

I too have started this. First started with Better Call Saul knowing the general jist of plots in breaking bad but not having watched it. It was pretty interesting to then watch Breaking Bad afterwards and seeing certain people show up - and seeing the transitions of people. I'm up to S5Ep6. 

It's also remarkable to me how much I utterly loathe Walter White. I'm definitely on Team Jesse. Also interesting to see the absurd hatred of Skyler - while I don't think she's a great person she's miles above Walt. 

I pretty much loathed everyone but the kids… and Badger. 

48 minutes ago, hauberk said:

I pretty much loathed everyone but the kids… and Badger. 

I don't hate everyone, and I especially don't hate everyone the same way I hate Walt. He's super compelling and interesting to see, but holy crap do I want to see him lose. 

By comparison I didn't want to see Jimmy lose nearly as much, and I DEFINITELY didn't want to see Mike lose. At least not so far - I've not started S6 yet. 

1 hour ago, Kalnestk Oblast said:

I don't hate everyone, and I especially don't hate everyone the same way I hate Walt. He's super compelling and interesting to see, but holy crap do I want to see him lose. 

By comparison I didn't want to see Jimmy lose nearly as much, and I DEFINITELY didn't want to see Mike lose. At least not so far - I've not started S6 yet. 

I'm curiuos, did you hate Walt from the start? Since you watch Better Call Saul first and presumably heard some stuff over the years. 

1 minute ago, RumHam said:

I'm curiuos, did you hate Walt from the start? Since you watch Better Call Saul first and presumably heard some stuff over the years. 

No, I didn't. I expected him to be somewhat sympathetic at least for a while. And honestly through most of S1 and some of S2 that was the case. I think the turning point for me was 

Spoiler

the death of Jesse's girlfriend as Walt just watched her die, followed by his absolute gaslighting Jesse afterward. 

His treatment of his family and all the shit he put them through didn't help things either, mind you, but that was the one where I just wanted him to die in an actual fire.

Now, don't get me wrong - seeing how he gets out of things, seeing the incredible chaos and rampage he does is super entertaining. But I had heard about how people did actually sympathize with him and that just seems so incredibly weird to me - a classic case of misaimed fandom or worse.

You're right.  I didn't hate Mike.  

I think the turning point for me was 

Reveal hidden contents

the death of Jesse's girlfriend as Walt just watched her die, followed by his absolute gaslighting Jesse afterward. 

You're a better person than me, I managed to justify that at the time. 

Spoiler

He was right, the first night they had the money she ODed. Had he not gone back she still would have died, etc. What got me was the poisoning.