Watch, watching next

DireWolfSpirit

Yes, the first nseason of FAM was great!

Slim pickings for me these days. I'm eagerly awaiting the next seasons of Severance, Andor (will be a while), Hacks and ofc Our Flag Means Death. Also OMITB, even though the second season was weak imho. A League Of Their Own has been all but cancelled, getting just 4 eps for its second and final season. Meanwhile, they're doing a Frasier reboot (more like a sequel) without Niles... That's a hard nope from me.

I still enjoy Abbott Elemantary.

With Star Trek returning to tired tropes (not to mention the horrid writing), I quit watching Picard after two episodes and won't look back. Maybe I'll finally watch The Expanse.

16 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

Who are the people making Super Mario such a huge box office success? 

Kids who are growing up on Nintendo Switch games such as Super Mario Odyssey and Super Mario Kart, and adults who grew up on the NES games, the SNES game Super Mario World and the Nintendo 64's Mario 64

4 minutes ago, Darryk said:

Kids who are growing up on Nintendo Switch games such as Super Mario Odyssey and Super Mario Kart, and adults who grew up on the NES games, the SNES game Super Mario World and the Nintendo 64's Mario 64

I'm firmly in the latter category, but would rather claw my eyes out than watch this shite. 

49 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

S2 is nowhere near as good as S1 so far. 

I thought it got better again after several mediocre episodes... probably not as good as season 1, but maybe the formula is just getting old?

36 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

Who are the people making Super Mario such a huge box office success? 

My nephews dragged their parents to an early screening. In 3D. They are 9 and 7. The 9 year old is a Mario fanatic. 

ETA: the real question is, who are the people making this a box office success when they conspicuously didn't show up in droves for several animated films in 2022?

Edited by Deadlines? What Deadlines?

Unfortunately it’s just another signal to Hollywood that you need a proven IP and recognisable name if you want to have box office success.

I thought the Mario trailer looked pretty good for what it’s worth however, seems pretty true to the source at least.. something you couldn’t say about it’s predecessor 

25 minutes ago, Spockydog said:

Watched Tetris last night. Pretty sure most of the plot was pulled out of someone's arse, but it was pretty enjoyable. Taron Egerton is excellent. 

Taron Egerton said in an interview that the only thing that didn't happen in real life was the car chase at the end, which was definitely a bit too much. Not sure how accurate the rest of the plot was, but apparently the events surrounding the back and forth discussions in the USSR where all the reps were present at the same time happened. Likely the KGB wasn't involved quite so dramatically.

17 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

Unfortunately it’s just another signal to Hollywood that you need a proven IP and recognisable name if you want to have box office success.

I thought the Mario trailer looked pretty good for what it’s worth however, seems pretty true to the source at least.. something you couldn’t say about it’s predecessor 

Everyone thinks that and says that, so it becomes a self fulfiling idea.  Hollywood's problem is that it currently produces a shoddy product compared to decades past, IMO.

John Wick proves that an original idea, well executed, can still be a blockbuster.

17 minutes ago, Cas Stark said:

Everyone thinks that and says that, so it becomes a self fulfiling idea.  Hollywood's problem is that it currently produces a shoddy product compared to decades past, IMO.

John Wick proves that an original idea, well executed, can still be a blockbuster.

The studio that made Super Mario rose to fame with an entirely new IP, and one of the big reasons that Mario is doing well is because of that IP and their style. It's a fun movie that kids like; shockingly that's gonna have a big market. 

Avatar was another IP that was kind of a big deal. 

The notion that you can't take chances in Hollywood any more and be a success is just silly. Hollywood has always been risk-averse, but risk-averse does not mean risk-nonexistent.

Watched a couple of things this weekend. First, the latest episode of the Mandalorian. After an unexpectedly decent turn last week, it's back to shit level again. I feel like they are turning Mando into a side character in his own show, which is quite annoying as he and Grogy are one of the few things that works about this series. My friends were saying it basically felt like a chore sitting through this series now and I agree. We'll probably finish the season and if it doesn't improve, we'll drop it. 

After that, one of my friends made the shameful confession of never having seen the original Highlander film. I was dog tired, but I couldn't skip this. It's such a great B-film. Christopher Lambert's film output in the 1980s and 1990s is such a weird thing, it's almost a genre on its own. 

After that I got caught up on Succession's new season. I have never been as big of a fan of this series as others, since I find it hard to relate to anyone on this show and it's hard for me to get back into it. I do still like the dialogue, that's really the star of this show for me, but I feel like the events in the first three episodes haven't lent themselves to the kind of great insults that I like the most from this show.

33 minutes ago, Kalnestk Oblast said:

The studio that made Super Mario rose to fame with an entirely new IP, and one of the big reasons that Mario is doing well is because of that IP and their style. It's a fun movie that kids like; shockingly that's gonna have a big market. 

Avatar was another IP that was kind of a big deal. 

The notion that you can't take chances in Hollywood any more and be a success is just silly. Hollywood has always been risk-averse, but risk-averse does not mean risk-nonexistent.

We could go into a lot of detail about why the movie environment now is much riskier and the ability to claw back money is harder especially for big budget movies , but it would take too long and I’d have thought that everyone outside of yourself pretty much understands it by now.

There is obviously some risk being taken with movies, but it’s mostly at the lower budget levels. John Wick is a big movie now but it’s not like the first one was, or that it had an easy time getting made as it was. 

Edited by Heartofice

The reviews for Mario are quite good, the word of mouth for Mario is quite good, the trailers for Mario are quite good, and it's based on one of the most recognisable pop-culture properties in the world. I'm really not understanding why anyone is either confused or concerned that it's doing well.

Even the 'you need a franchise to be successful'  - that's a thing that's true to a point, but it's not actually got anything to do with this here. When you (a) see good movies get stomped by less good franchise movies and (2) see shit franchise movies doing well anyway, that's when that becomes a concern. 

This hipster contempt for anything 'franchise' ever is tiring, tbh. The problem comes when a property starts templating itself to just churn out more of the franchise on a production line, not the existence of a franchise in itself, ffs. 

7 minutes ago, polishgenius said:

Even the 'you need a franchise to be successful'  - that's a thing that's true to a point, but it's not actually got anything to do with this here. When you (a) see good movies get stomped by less good franchise movies and (2) see shit franchise movies doing well anyway, that's when that becomes a concern. 

There would need to be actual movies made that aren’t based on an existing IP or are a remake or part of a franchise for that to actually happen. 

Clearly the IP is a big deal in this case. There's "doing well" and then there's this. Mario had a monster opening weekend, internationally and domestically. It either broke or came close to breaking records. 

There also seems to be a pretty steep divide between critics and audiences. The critical reception is somewhat mixed (56% on RT) and some of the negative reviews are not charitable at all. But audiences love it.  

Anyway, my nephews loved it. I don't know if they have any awareness of Rotten tomatoes.