Watch, watching next

DireWolfSpirit

4 hours ago, RumHam said:

Yeah don't get me wrong it worked, I love the show. I just think it's a teir below Deadwood/Sopranos/The Wire (I go back and forth about The Leftovers joining that list) 

I haven't seen S4 or S5 yet but I'd probably put Gomorrah on the top tier as well.

6 hours ago, RumHam said:

Yeah don't get me wrong it worked, I love the show. I just think it's a teir below Deadwood/Sopranos/The Wire (I go back and forth about The Leftovers joining that list) 

I agree with this. 

2 hours ago, WarGalley said:

I haven't seen S4 or S5 yet but I'd probably put Gomorrah on the top tier as well.

I thought about Gomorrah too but the last 2 seasons didn’t come close to the earlier ones, especially the last season. I’d put it at a tier below the top. But the first 2 seasons were insanely great. Talk about a show with no added fat on it when it was at its peak.

Also, I just couldn’t get into Better Call Saul. I feel like I should go back and try it again because of the universal praise it gets, especially from here and a few friends(one of which legitimately can’t believe I gave up on it). I think I stopped during season 3 because it just felt like a chore to watch. The early brother storyline was taxing and I was just uninterested in it. 

But I do have some fomo regrets hearing the latter seasons were so good. 

I loved the sopranos but how many times can you do 'someone gets released from prison and causes a problem' before you just go 'meh'.  

The wire on the other hand, all the pieces matter and all the seasons were different.  

6 hours ago, BigFatCoward said:

I loved the sopranos but how many times can you do 'someone gets released from prison and causes a problem' before you just go 'meh'.  

The wire on the other hand, all the pieces matter and all the seasons were different.  

Well remembered.

Yeah, The Wire was a far superior show IMO. I liked The Sopranos but it felt like it went on for a season too long. The final season was good though.  

13 hours ago, BigFatCoward said:

That only happened twice, didn't it? Ritchie and then the mass release in season five with Feech, Tony's cousin and Phil. They're all different enough situations that I don't see a problem with it. The Wire was a better constructed show though. 

Really enjoyed that first episode of Beef. When I saw there was an A24 tv show I was all for that, but this doesn't feel very A24, not even creeping 20 minute slow pans of a room with loud oppressive booming music. This also moves a pretty fast pace and makes sense.

Steven Yeun is also really good, something I would never have said from watching his time in Walking Dead, as I always found him about as lively as one of the zombies. However that has more to do with Walking Dead than him. 

On 4/12/2023 at 7:31 PM, Mexal said:

Only 4 episodes into Beef but it's amazing. What a show.

what a 9th episode!  That was the craziest escalation i've ever seen.  The finale was back to a more intimate tone though, and it worked.

Made me laugh with

Spoiler

the subtitled crows.

Hmmm. the NYT sneers at Seven Kingdoms as "overbearing," and "glib" costume drama.  I'll watch it anyway, NYT which hates period drama unless camp, ironic and ahistoric.  Ha!

In the meantime in advance of its opening on the 21st, we've been given passwords to  private streaming next Tuesday of Chevalier!  I wanted to see this film so much, but I wasn't going to a theater.  They gave us the choice of the screening theater or streaming.  Another dream come true.  Ha!

In this meantime, however, I'm falling in love with Della Street.  The actress plays her so naturally, so matter-of-factly, this incredibly likeable, as well as very smart, character -- and so naturally pretty, with such a good sense of humor, so unassuming, but not shy or lacking confidence in herself -- she really is special.  Maybe instead of Perry Mason the series should be Della Street.

5 hours ago, Zorral said:

In this meantime, however, I'm falling in love with Della Street.  The actress plays her so naturally, so matter-of-factly, this incredibly likeable, as well as very smart, character -- and so naturally pretty, with such a good sense of humor, so unassuming, but not shy or lacking confidence in herself -- she really is special.  Maybe instead of Perry Mason the series should be Della Street.

She’s great. I highly recommend The Knick if you haven’t already seen it. 

Sobbing.  The doors open to Uthred and

Spoiler

there's Brida.  And those others.  Is this Valhalla?

I can't stop crying. 

I am so stupid.

But not as stupid as the NYT who complained of the mud.  There was no mud.  Assholes.

Now. That was a battle.

However

Spoiler

was it necessary to have a sinful homosexual relationship here?  Is there any historical reason for that?

Maybe the sobbing is due to the very final forever finished saga of Uthred, which has been a part of my life, long before the tv series, the final finish of the novel series, and now the end of it on screen.  It's been a part of my life for many years now.  It's over.  Really, finally forever gone.

Watched ep. 1 of Beef, my expectations must have been too high, because it seemed so similar to so many other recent series and films about class conflict.  I'll give it another couple of episodes, but I did not see the wow factor others did.

26 minutes ago, Cas Stark said:

Watched ep. 1 of Beef, my expectations must have been too high, because it seemed so similar to so many other recent series and films about class conflict.  I'll give it another couple of episodes, but I did not see the wow factor others did.

I’m 3 episodes in and last ep found myself on my phone a few times. Not a good sign. I think it’s solid but I might have been expecting a little too much also.

Archived